U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2021, 09:02 PM
 
947 posts, read 1,303,275 times
Reputation: 983

Advertisements

How long do you run it at higher speeds is that speed 3,500? Do you have the 3 hp model? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2021, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
12,709 posts, read 25,258,937 times
Reputation: 4803
Actually I took out a perfectly good 1 speed and switched to the variable. I then put the 1 speed on eBay and sold it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2021, 01:45 PM
 
2,017 posts, read 3,581,392 times
Reputation: 2387
I run it at 2000rpm for 2 hours per day to try and pull debris off the top into the skimmer. Regular run speed is 1200 rpm which is the minimum needed to activate the flow switch of my salt water chlorinator, that runs for I believe 10 or 12 hours per day. I do have the 3hp model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
How long do you run it at higher speeds is that speed 3,500? Do you have the 3 hp model? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2021, 05:10 PM
 
947 posts, read 1,303,275 times
Reputation: 983
Thanks very much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2021, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,966 posts, read 8,050,921 times
Reputation: 1438
I service a pool that has uses a solar breeze solar powered skimmer (it takes the leaves out of the top of the pool and is solar powered). The pool runs 800rpm (1.5 hp VS Pentair super flo @ around 120watts) 8 hrs a day and uses a liquid chlorine feeder.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2021, 10:38 PM
 
600 posts, read 456,977 times
Reputation: 652
My pool pump just went out (after only 1.5 years!) and I called the warranty company to fix it. Paid my $125 deductible and they sent someone over.

I was thinking of offering them some money for the upgrade to variable speed, but they pre-empted me on that. They basically said they do them at either $1400 or 1600 (memory fails), and they'd give me $200 credit for the warranty work, then give me whatever rebate NV energy are offering. Seemed like a heck of a lot to me.

Told him to fix it, then I could find somewhere to do me a 1.5hp pump for 1100 less the rebate, then sell my old 1.5hp newly reconditioned pump on craigslist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
12,709 posts, read 25,258,937 times
Reputation: 4803
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
My pool pump just went out (after only 1.5 years!) and I called the warranty company to fix it. Paid my $125 deductible and they sent someone over.

I was thinking of offering them some money for the upgrade to variable speed, but they pre-empted me on that. They basically said they do them at either $1400 or 1600 (memory fails), and they'd give me $200 credit for the warranty work, then give me whatever rebate NV energy are offering. Seemed like a heck of a lot to me.

Told him to fix it, then I could find somewhere to do me a 1.5hp pump for 1100 less the rebate, then sell my old 1.5hp newly reconditioned pump on craigslist.
you should have got the variable speed... not another 1.5. you would have saved the money in electricity by far... their deal was fair.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
12,709 posts, read 25,258,937 times
Reputation: 4803
gas heat is the way to go... we would swim on New Years eve. Our pool had multiple spa jets throughout the pool (no separate hot tub)... so it was a giant jacuzzi... would run it up to 100 degrees for the New Years' holiday... would cost about 15. for the weekend.. much cheaper than electric and you could could swim year round if you wanted too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM
 
600 posts, read 456,977 times
Reputation: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
you should have got the variable speed... not another 1.5. you would have saved the money in electricity by far... their deal was fair.
sorry, I mean now its fixed I'll replace it with a 1.5hp variable speed pump and I'll sell my old pump. I should be able to find if for less then they were offering it for, and if i can sell my old pump for a $200 I'll be ahead. Either that or I'll have it as a spare for the water features.

While I'm out of town my average electricity bill is $100 a month, which is basically the pool pump and the fridge. I'll be quite curious to see what it becomes once the pump is replaced.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:12 AM
 
2,017 posts, read 3,581,392 times
Reputation: 2387
The price they offered was reasonable. The 1.5hp variable speed online is $1000 + tax and you have to install it yourself and I'm not sure if you'd get the rebate buying online.

Also you need to be aware, pentair and hayward have horrible warranty policies for equipment bought online. Technically they do offer the warranty, but you have to pay a technician to come out and check it out to confirm it's dead. Basically they will only service the warranty through their dealer network and the physical stores typically won't help since you didn't buy it from them. The technicians will help because you pay them a service fee, typically $100-$150. I haven't had this issue with my pump, but my salt chlorinator, yes I have. Because of this I just suck it up and pay slightly higher pool store prices so I can get the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
sorry, I mean now its fixed I'll replace it with a 1.5hp variable speed pump and I'll sell my old pump. I should be able to find if for less then they were offering it for, and if i can sell my old pump for a $200 I'll be ahead. Either that or I'll have it as a spare for the water features.

While I'm out of town my average electricity bill is $100 a month, which is basically the pool pump and the fridge. I'll be quite curious to see what it becomes once the pump is replaced.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top