U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2021, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
12,746 posts, read 25,444,820 times
Reputation: 4821

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
sorry, I mean now its fixed I'll replace it with a 1.5hp variable speed pump and I'll sell my old pump. I should be able to find if for less then they were offering it for, and if i can sell my old pump for a $200 I'll be ahead. Either that or I'll have it as a spare for the water features.

While I'm out of town my average electricity bill is $100 a month, which is basically the pool pump and the fridge. I'll be quite curious to see what it becomes once the pump is replaced.
40ish
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2021, 06:14 PM
 
970 posts, read 427,930 times
Reputation: 1176
Pool equipment related'ish question.

The house we bought has a metal fence/grate around (and on top of) the pool equipment. Being 20+ years old it is rusty. I have never heard of putting a cover on top of pool equipment before. There are trees around the equipment but does anybody else have their equipment covered? Is that a thing?

I want to replace it as it looks nasty, with the rust, but don't want to bother with the cover unless there is some good reason.

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2021, 01:02 PM
 
1,313 posts, read 1,589,059 times
Reputation: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
Pool equipment related'ish question.

The house we bought has a metal fence/grate around (and on top of) the pool equipment. Being 20+ years old it is rusty. I have never heard of putting a cover on top of pool equipment before. There are trees around the equipment but does anybody else have their equipment covered? Is that a thing?

I want to replace it as it looks nasty, with the rust, but don't want to bother with the cover unless there is some good reason.

Thoughts?
I had this built at my last house. One contractor built the fence, the other the top. Total for both just short of $4k. Also, covering your pool equipment will allow it to last much longer otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Variable Speed Pool Pump to save money?-2286818_46_0.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2021, 01:44 PM
 
970 posts, read 427,930 times
Reputation: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I had this built at my last house. One contractor built the fence, the other the top. Total for both just short of $4k. Also, covering your pool equipment will allow it to last much longer otherwise.
That looks real good! Thanks for sharing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2021, 11:47 PM
 
774 posts, read 631,168 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
Pool equipment related'ish question.

The house we bought has a metal fence/grate around (and on top of) the pool equipment. Being 20+ years old it is rusty. I have never heard of putting a cover on top of pool equipment before. There are trees around the equipment but does anybody else have their equipment covered? Is that a thing?

I want to replace it as it looks nasty, with the rust, but don't want to bother with the cover unless there is some good reason.

Thoughts?
You HAVE to cover the pool equipment, especially in Vegas. Pumps already work hard can get warm, they can't withstand the type of heat they will get from direct sunlight in vegas. Your pump will fail to work properly if it gets too hot, it will turn off to try to protect itself. I'm not an expert but I heard this from the head of company that sells pool equipment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2021, 11:21 PM
 
1,443 posts, read 2,583,190 times
Reputation: 1045
I actually decided to buy a variable speed pump. Turned out I can not get the one I want because of where the pump is located and such so I have to go with Sta-rite / Pentaire. They are all sold out apparently because of the Texas ice storms.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
7,061 posts, read 7,386,571 times
Reputation: 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
You HAVE to cover the pool equipment, especially in Vegas. Pumps already work hard can get warm, they can't withstand the type of heat they will get from direct sunlight in vegas. Your pump will fail to work properly if it gets too hot, it will turn off to try to protect itself. I'm not an expert but I heard this from the head of company that sells pool equipment.
This just isn’t an issue for most people in Vegas. Usually your lot isn’t that big anyway, so the pool equipment goes to the side of the house with the AC units and whatever else. The side of the house gets no sun whatsoever, it’s shaded by the giant block wall and the even taller house right next door. Most houses I’ve seen are very similar where the side yard is so small, just several feet wide, that the equipment is naturally shaded. Our entire side yard there is full of equipment, it’s kind of funny to see, 2 AC units, the electric heat pump for the pool, the pool pump, the gas heater for the pool, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top