U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 12:51 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,564,355 times

Advertisements

Hey anyone actually notice a cost savings by doing this?

I've been researching it and was about to get one then I heard they are a scam essentially and are actually less efficient than single stage and don't clean pool as well.

NVEnergy gives some rebates for them though. Anyone make the switch?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 03:02 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,560,023 times
I did years ago and yes you do save money if you calibrate it to your pool. A lot of pool techs just leave it on one speed (usually the highest) which does not give you any cost savings. Find a competent installer that will calibrate it and you'll be fine.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:25 PM

2,966 posts, read 8,050,921 times
To calibrate the pump, its very simple. You need to find out how much water your pool has. You pool needs to turn over thru the filter systems once a day and in most cases that is good enough. You need to figure out how many gallons your pump moves per minute at a certain speed. There is a chart available online to figure this out. There are also other variables such as solar heating (roof panels) and inground pop up cleaning systems, robotic/automatic suction cleaners. They do save money but they are also expensive to repair.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:38 PM

2,017 posts, read 3,581,392 times
The savings for me has been huge. I have the Pentair variable speed pump and I noticed my power bill drop around $50/month compared to my old single speed pump. On top of that, I think it lasts longer since it runs cooler. I've had my Pentair for 10 years now with no problems, it's paid for itself many times over.

Mine is calibrated to the minimum volume to activate the salt chlorinator as well as some higher speed times to try and get debris into the skimmer, but ultimately it turns over the pool gallons 1x/day. I think the normal run watts is around 130-150, it shows on the pump display.

Old 05-11-2021, 07:05 AM

7,018 posts, read 7,259,990 times
Of course it saves money. First, there are a number of things that should be true of your pool if you aren’t living in the 1980s:

1) Gas heating should be a LAST resort, a backup. You should be using an electric heat pump for your pool, otherwise you can’t afford to own a pool. You’ll be able to swim for very little for 7 months a year maybe 8, like last year. Gas costs $5/hour to heat and is insanely expensive. Electric is 72 cents an hour roughly, and with solar cheaper than that.

2) Your pool pump should have low and high settings.

3) Everyone seems to complain about “pool maintenance.” There is no maintenance, buy self cleaning heads that pop out with the pump and it cleans your pool without any stupid ancient tech robots or any manual cleaning. Pool will always look pristine, zero maintenance.

4) VERY little chlorine should be required, your pool should be UV cleaned, which is 3,000 times faster and much cleaner. You’ll need minimum chemicals and you can pay someone $100-130/month to deal with anything else.

People are paying good money to install garbage old technology. RayPak is your friend, electric heat pumps are what should go into pools in the 21st century.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Of course it saves money. First, there are a number of things that should be true of your pool if you aren’t living in the 1980s:

1) Gas heating should be a LAST resort, a backup. You should be using an electric heat pump for your pool, otherwise you can’t afford to own a pool. You’ll be able to swim for very little for 7 months a year maybe 8, like last year. Gas costs $5/hour to heat and is insanely expensive. Electric is 72 cents an hour roughly, and with solar cheaper than that.

3) Everyone seems to complain about “pool maintenance.” There is no maintenance, buy self cleaning heads that pop out with the pump and it cleans your pool without any stupid ancient tech robots or any manual cleaning. Pool will always look pristine, zero maintenance.

4) VERY little chlorine should be required, your pool should be UV cleaned, which is 3,000 times faster and much cleaner. You’ll need minimum chemicals and you can pay someone $100-130/month to deal with anything else.

People are paying good money to install garbage old technology. RayPak is your friend, electric heat pumps are what should go into pools in the 21st century.
Interested in the idea of a heat pump (my pool currently has no heater). I’ve been told in the past that “pool heat pumps don’t work well in Las Vegas”, which sounds like nonsense to me. Any recommendations on local companies that can install these?

Old 05-11-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy57 View Post
Interested in the idea of a heat pump (my pool currently has no heater). I’ve been told in the past that “pool heat pumps don’t work well in Las Vegas”, which sounds like nonsense to me. Any recommendations on local companies that can install these?
I've installed heat pumps before. They are great when the weather is 90s+ and the night time temps are not cold anymore (this is when you will loose heat). They do not work very well 80's and below, but a solar cover will also help heat the pool. They do not work in the winter time and cannot heat a spa to 100+ like a propane or natural gas heater can.

Old 05-11-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

Some of the things you are claiming is true, but not all pools are equal. I've seen thousands of pools, and they are all different in terms of maintenance. Just put a few pine trees, palm trees and a dirt lot behind you pool and it will be a nightmare when that spring/fall wind blows here in Las Vegas. People that heat their pools to 90+ will use more chlorine and chemicals than someone who rarely uses the pool.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:52 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,560,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I've installed heat pumps before. They are great when the weather is 90s+ and the night time temps are not cold anymore (this is when you will loose heat). They do not work very well 80's and below, but a solar cover will also help heat the pool. They do not work in the winter time and cannot heat a spa to 100+ like a propane or natural gas heater can.
I have a natural gas heater and it works great, I've never had an issue. Plus, it's cheaper to operate as gas here is cheap compared to electricity.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:57 AM

12,709 posts, read 25,258,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
The savings for me has been huge. I have the Pentair variable speed pump and I noticed my power bill drop around $50/month compared to my old single speed pump. On top of that, I think it lasts longer since it runs cooler. I've had my Pentair for 10 years now with no problems, it's paid for itself many times over.

Mine is calibrated to the minimum volume to activate the salt chlorinator as well as some higher speed times to try and get debris into the skimmer, but ultimately it turns over the pool gallons 1x/day. I think the normal run watts is around 130-150, it shows on the pump display.
Ours did the same. The pentair saved us a lot of money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: