U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2021, 12:42 PM

23,542 posts, read 43,413,728 times

Advertisements

As a retiree I want maintenance free living, mostly freedom from yard work but also freedom from exterior home maintenance and roofing.

My ideal community has these features:
* 55+ age-restricted
* gated
* single family homes
* single story homes
* HOA does all maintenance around each home and yard
* HOA does all maintenance around the common areas

Optionally, would like these HOA features as well:
* HOA does all exterior home maintenance, repairs, painting
* HOA does all roof maintenance, repairs, replacements

I'm tired of my garage looking like a hardware store: mower, gas cans, trimmer, edger, blower, various rakes and shovels, push brooms, sprayers for liquids, spreaders for granulars, chemicals to grow things, chemicals to kill things, pruners, nippers, clippers, gloves, knee pads, snow shovels, ice scrapers, chain saw, hoses, nozzles, sprinklers, buckets, watering cans, wheelbarrows, shredders, billygoat vacs, etc. I'm done with that scene. I'm tired of neighborhoods where every house has a mini-garage in the backyard to house this avalanche of hardware and tired of having the occasional neighbor whose yard is a jungle. I think a lot of us retiring boomers are sick of this suburban treadmill of repeat trips to the big box hardware stores to get more of this crap.

I want a SFH with no common / shared walls, I don't want to be that close to anyone, I don't want to smell their smoking or cooking and I don't want to hear their noises.

Essentially I'm after a high rise condo where the condo association takes care of everything but the dwelling units have been deconstructed down to individual SFHs (and THs for those so inclined).

Thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 01:01 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,970,420 times
Saw this new possibility:

https://www.sheahomes.com/new-homes/...logy-sunstone/

Not sure if it meets optional criteria but it does on the initial criteria. First property types listed have a shared wall but others further down don't.

Probably fails on "spread out" within development but maybe some outer properties or early in build out would be ok? It is on current edge of metro.

More options: https://www.55places.com/nevada/area/las-vegas-area

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-30-2021 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-30-2021, 03:38 PM

1,003 posts, read 932,818 times
"I don't want to be that close to anyone, I don't want to smell their smoking or cooking and I don't want to hear their noises."

I think that will be the hardest thing to find in a community where you get everything else you want. To get space between homes, you need a big lot and that will drive the cost up substantially.

Old 05-30-2021, 05:46 PM

8,417 posts, read 7,860,868 times
Find the house you want and then hire a gardener.

Old 05-30-2021, 06:44 PM

23,542 posts, read 43,413,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Find the house you want and then hire a gardener.
That's what I've got here in the Phoenix area but have been through several such persons, some of whom had immigration problems. One-man companies are fragile and regularly have issues. I've finally found a local firm that is reliable but I still wish the HOA did all of these things.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-30-2021, 07:13 PM

If the HOA hires the company, you will pay dearly for it and may not be happy with the quality of work. I had that situation in Florida. We got new companies every now and then, sometimes good, sometimes not very good. if you hire you own company, you can call them and complain until they get it right. There are lots of landscaping firms here. When you move to a place you like, check with the neighbors or use Nextdoor to find one. My landscaping needs very little work, I do some but not much (almost nothing to do). I pulled out stuff the previous owner put in that needed lots of attention and put in stuff that doesn't.

Old 05-30-2021, 07:39 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,498,118 times
Given a little time, we were able to find a competent and trustworthy landscaper, pool company, handyman, plumber, electrician, roofer, tree trimmer, landscape fertilizer, painter, HVAC repair and maintenance company, venetian plaster repairman and automobile mechanic that do good work at a reasonable rate in Las Vegas. I don't trust any HOA or Home Warranty Company to make these hiring decisions for me as they are not concerned about the quality of work.

Old 05-31-2021, 08:10 AM

7,208 posts, read 6,223,390 times
All 55+:

Gated villas (like-a duplex) in the community of Solara. I think HOA covers all yard work
Not gated villas in Sun City Anthem (but community is patroled); HOA covers all yard work
Gated condos called Terra Bella in Anthem/Henderson

Old 05-31-2021, 11:03 AM

My community (Rose Ridge by Lennar) does not do any work for individual homes. It maintains the community commons areas and the pool. That's why the HOA fee is only $55/month. Works for me.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:51 PM

17,684 posts, read 7,775,994 times
You know Mike we are pretty close to what you want...

We have a half acre in Lone Mountain.

Our key is our gardener. He is actually a foreman for a big landscaping crew but we are his private week end customer. It is actually the whole family that does it. One or two of his grown sons and occasionally his daughter or wife. So he supervises the whole thing including hiring others to do things like the palm trees.

We have a regular electrician and various other handy people for other things. Even go a guy who fixes our paint once or so each year...fixes all the dings I make with my wheels.

We also have a home warranty that covers all the appliances and such.

So aside from coordination we do nothing other than basic cleaning.

And actually our cul de sac is pretty much 55+. One eleven year old but everyone else is long on years. One house is actually a small nursing home but they are all well past 55.

On your list of things virtually every item is obtainable but no one place will have it all.

There are a set of town house tracts with all external maintenance done by the HOA. But none are single family. Almost all are two or three unit villas. So shared walls though some of them are double walls with noise control in between.

Single floor is pretty much the universal structure on 55+

There are places which are gated but most of them are not. Note that security is not much of a problem. I doubt the gated ones do any better than the open ones. The sharp eyed old ladies do a good job of watching over and the rolling patrols provide quick support. And much of the crimes that do occur are domestic violence. We old folk can be difficult.

If you would like to check it out you can get a look at all the likely ones in two or three days. Not a lot to see. At the moment the 7700s homes in Sun City Summerlin have 11 actively for sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: