Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 05:14 AM

106 posts, read 116,746 times

Advertisements

It’s that time of year again, those of you with dogs know what I’m talking about. I have one that absolutely freaks out. I love the 4th but hate it at the same time. We’ve tried everything over the last 14 years and nothing works as far as calming him down.

It’s actually the week before, and the week after that’s the worst time of the year for us. Anyway I’m thinking about camping outside the city this year for a few nights, my best friend is getting old and I’m starting to think his heart won’t handle it.

Nothing we’ve tried, and I think we’ve tried just about everything to calm him down, short of some sort of support group for me to stay sane through it all….LOL.

What methods do you use to keep your pets calm ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 07:07 AM

107 posts, read 138,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthp223 View Post
It’s that time of year again, those of you with dogs know what I’m talking about. I have one that absolutely freaks out. I love the 4th but hate it at the same time. We’ve tried everything over the last 14 years and nothing works as far as calming him down.

It’s actually the week before, and the week after that’s the worst time of the year for us. Anyway I’m thinking about camping outside the city this year for a few nights, my best friend is getting old and I’m starting to think his heart won’t handle it.

Nothing we’ve tried, and I think we’ve tried just about everything to calm him down, short of some sort of support group for me to stay sane through it all….LOL.

What methods do you use to keep your pets calm ?
Have you tried a Thundershirt? https://thundershirt.com/

Old 06-24-2021, 07:25 AM

106 posts, read 116,746 times
No, and I doubt that’s going to do anything. Needs to cover his head and ears LOL. But Thank you for the suggestion .

Old 06-24-2021, 07:33 AM

359 posts, read 361,043 times
i am getting a room just for my senior dog and i to avoid the noise she too freaks out i think it will go great we will see what happens

Old 06-24-2021, 07:34 AM

273 posts, read 207,625 times
A read a similar topic on the NextDoor app and how veterans and dogs really suffer during the non stop fireworks in this town. One woman wrote that she was planning to rent a place in Mt Charleston for a few days. Seems like a good idea but I don't think there are enough rentals for everyone who suffers.

I was out for a walk a few nights ago and found a tiny dog running around scared. Luckily it's owner was out searching for him and said he ran out of the house because of the fireworks going off. It doesn't have to be 4th of July or NYE for people to set them off either. A random Tuesday or when VGK play (win or lose) will work. I moved from the Midwest and wow, what a shock to see and hear all the fireworks in LV.

A neighbor said her vet told her giving her big dog some Benadryl is ok if the dog is stressed. My old dog is mainly deaf so he isn't as bothered by the noise now.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:41 AM

273 posts, read 207,625 times
I have this noise machine in every bedroom and it really helps drown out airplane noise and fireworks too.

https://www.target.com/p/yogasleep-d...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dohm white noise machine

Old 06-24-2021, 11:03 AM

1,622 posts, read 1,704,931 times
I hated how it traumatized my dogs when I had two. I think there are some cannabis products now, but you should talk to your vet to get some sort of mild tranquilizer so your pet doesn't suffer through the insanity.

Thundershirt is OK for thunderstorms that only last short periods of time. 4th of July here is like being in a war zone for several hours. Having calming music on a a level that helps mask the fireworks sound also a good idea, but the nature of that sound (percussive with sharp transient response and lots of low frequency information) is hard to mask. I'm a professional recording and live sound engineer....

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2021, 03:04 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Already fireworks in my neighborhood for more than a week. Then there is today's thunderstorm and the fact they just finished repaving my street today. My dogs are already freaked out. The paving equipment vibrated and shook my whole house. They are both under my desk. And they say Dobies are ferocious.

On the 4th I always stay home. Watch TV and listen to loud music. They get lots of treats and I give them benedryl. I feed them really early so hopefully they will get all the outdoor time they need before dark. Then after the worst of it is over I take them outside and stay with them.

Since there were no big displays last year I am sure this year will be worse than normal!

Old 06-24-2021, 03:50 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,961,338 times
Have you discussed this with your veterinarian? Maybe a prescription for anti-anxiety medicine with help get your pup through this time.

Old 06-25-2021, 10:16 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,539 times
Las Vegas loves their fireworks. It's nuts here. Remember last year when they set off fireworks every night all over the place for the entire month of June and July? I had just gotten two little dogs then and they were losing their minds. I tried hemp treats, melatonin treats, CBD treats, benadryl, sound machines and some hormone scented stuff that was supposed to smell like their mother to sooth them. All the thunder jackets in their size were sold out online and in the stores. The only thing left is to get a vet prescription this year and hope that works.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 06-25-2021 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas