U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 08:32 PM

7,059 posts, read 7,456,125 times

Advertisements

Summerlin is WAY better than our first impression, make no mistake about that. My wife has been there like 20 times now at least because she’s a wedding / engagement / product photographer and basically what happened... the particular development we saw just wasn’t well located and it wasn’t what we wanted. Also, we’ve been to downtown Summerlin since that day and never seen it that dead. It’s usually vibrant - it was like the universe somehow decided for everything to be bizarre that day. First impressions are important. I was 95% set on Summerlin, I thought that was THE nice area. But living here now, I realized that it’s almost symmetrical - they’re equally nice, Henderson is a city though and it is bigger, but you can basically find like and like for each one. That being said, the Summerlin boosters do seem almost annoyed that the majority of the most expensive houses are going to be here - including the state record $25M at MacDonald Highlands last week. That aside, basically The Ridges is to Summerlin what Ascaya is to Henderson, but I’m not sure there’s anything in second place in Summerlin that compares to MacDonald Highlands necessarily as that’s historically the most exclusive neighborhood. Ascaya is more likely where more money flows in the future though, like Mark Davis of the Raiders, because it’s nothing but custom lots sort of like The Ridges. You clearly would be blessed and living the high life at either one of them.

I’m told there’s basically the equivalent of Eastern in Summerlin, but I didn’t really see that myself. I’ve driven around and it just doesn’t seem like there’s as many restaurants in Summerlin as we have in Henderson, but there are just as many nice ones. We just are cheap, I like to keep most of my meals at casual dining prices. I’d have to live in Summerlin I think to be as familiar with it for dining. My guess is Summerlin wanted to be a bit more controlled about the development to keep it from looking like, ahem, Spring Valley (not to be mean lol). Most of the Summerlin neighborhoods are super pretty, they’re well landscaped, but the south Summerlin area isn’t worth any premium to me personally. That was maybe the biggest turnoff, we looked extensively and it seemed consistent that they wanted about a 10% premium to be there instead of Henderson yet I felt as a buyer I’d want a 10% discount to be there. Again, other people think it’s worthwhile but I love my area and it suits me best, so it didn’t make financial sense.

The other huge turnoff for certain people, myself included, is we don’t want 2-3 HOAs and that happens in Summerlin. One is just fine for me, I love our HOA, the president is awesome! He is just like me, he always wants to improve his house and doesn’t want any HOA telling him he can’t... so he decided to be president lol. The board is also awesome. They won’t deny any reasonable request and they’re active in improving our community. We are ripping out the mediocre looking entry gate and replacing it with a grander guard gate, it’ll increase dues a bit but also increase values a good deal. I really am thankful they did the legwork and research to figure all of this out. So I’m pro-HOA I just don’t see why I’d want to pay into 2-3 different HOAs?!

Because of the pandemic I haven’t even been to some parts of my own city, like Water Street, which I hear is improving. But I’m excited by Henderson’s growth, like the Silver Knights coming here. I’m sure it’s like anything where the lesser areas of Henderson are as mediocre or worse than what I saw in South Summerlin, but what I like about my specific location is I can drive 10 minutes in all directions and see really nice neighborhoods, like my aunt’s area in Anthem (well, Sun City Anthem for her) to my uncle’s place more toward North Green Valley, it feels insulated from what I think of as the undesirable places. We got lost one day near the Strip and it looked like we entered Baghdad or something, I didn’t recognize that as home at all. I had a friend here who lived a bit off Strip and said hearing gunfire was just a weekly occurrence and sketchy neighbors everywhere. That’s probably why a lot of people who live in nice areas of Vegas Metro rarely venture out of our own neighborhood areas. I love the Strip for sure, but it’s like this gem in the middle of miles of garbage around it. Very weird!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 08:50 AM

9,961 posts, read 3,577,106 times
@JonathanLB, great posts as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
We just are cheap, I like to keep most of my meals at casual dining prices.
What are some restaurants you like that fit your criteria?

Old 06-28-2021, 09:59 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,605,962 times
Quote:
Summerlin is WAY better than our first impression, make no mistake about that. My wife has been there like 20 times now at least because she’s a wedding / engagement / product photographer and basically what happened... the particular development we saw just wasn’t well located and it wasn’t what we wanted. Also, we’ve been to downtown Summerlin since that day and never seen it that dead. It’s usually vibrant - it was like the universe somehow decided for everything to be bizarre that day. First impressions are important. I was 95% set on Summerlin, I thought that was THE nice area. But living here now, I realized that it’s almost symmetrical - they’re equally nice, Henderson is a city though and it is bigger, but you can basically find like and like for each one. That being said, the Summerlin boosters do seem almost annoyed that the majority of the most expensive houses are going to be here - including the state record $25M at MacDonald Highlands last week. That aside, basically The Ridges is to Summerlin what Ascaya is to Henderson, but I’m not sure there’s anything in second place in Summerlin that compares to MacDonald Highlands necessarily as that’s historically the most exclusive neighborhood. Ascaya is more likely where more money flows in the future though, like Mark Davis of the Raiders, because it’s nothing but custom lots sort of like The Ridges. You clearly would be blessed and living the high life at either one of them.

I’m told there’s basically the equivalent of Eastern in Summerlin, but I didn’t really see that myself. I’ve driven around and it just doesn’t seem like there’s as many restaurants in Summerlin as we have in Henderson, but there are just as many nice ones. We just are cheap, I like to keep most of my meals at casual dining prices. I’d have to live in Summerlin I think to be as familiar with it for dining. My guess is Summerlin wanted to be a bit more controlled about the development to keep it from looking like, ahem, Spring Valley (not to be mean lol). Most of the Summerlin neighborhoods are super pretty, they’re well landscaped, but the south Summerlin area isn’t worth any premium to me personally. That was maybe the biggest turnoff, we looked extensively and it seemed consistent that they wanted about a 10% premium to be there instead of Henderson yet I felt as a buyer I’d want a 10% discount to be there. Again, other people think it’s worthwhile but I love my area and it suits me best, so it didn’t make financial sense.

The other huge turnoff for certain people, myself included, is we don’t want 2-3 HOAs and that happens in Summerlin. One is just fine for me, I love our HOA, the president is awesome! He is just like me, he always wants to improve his house and doesn’t want any HOA telling him he can’t... so he decided to be president lol. The board is also awesome. They won’t deny any reasonable request and they’re active in improving our community. We are ripping out the mediocre looking entry gate and replacing it with a grander guard gate, it’ll increase dues a bit but also increase values a good deal. I really am thankful they did the legwork and research to figure all of this out. So I’m pro-HOA I just don’t see why I’d want to pay into 2-3 different HOAs?!

Because of the pandemic I haven’t even been to some parts of my own city, like Water Street, which I hear is improving. But I’m excited by Henderson’s growth, like the Silver Knights coming here. I’m sure it’s like anything where the lesser areas of Henderson are as mediocre or worse than what I saw in South Summerlin, but what I like about my specific location is I can drive 10 minutes in all directions and see really nice neighborhoods, like my aunt’s area in Anthem (well, Sun City Anthem for her) to my uncle’s place more toward North Green Valley, it feels insulated from what I think of as the undesirable places. We got lost one day near the Strip and it looked like we entered Baghdad or something, I didn’t recognize that as home at all. I had a friend here who lived a bit off Strip and said hearing gunfire was just a weekly occurrence and sketchy neighbors everywhere. That’s probably why a lot of people who live in nice areas of Vegas Metro rarely venture out of our own neighborhood areas. I love the Strip for sure, but it’s like this gem in the middle of miles of garbage around it. Very weird!

Summit Club is coming to Summerlin. Pretty high end, raising the bar once again perhaps.
https://summitclubnv.com/

Old 06-28-2021, 11:00 AM

349 posts, read 152,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
A friend has an interesting 2-story cooled wine storage room that is glass on 3 sides. The scale is a bit difficult to judge, but if you look closely, you'll see him inside the wine room retrieving another bottle (he's over 6'):
I have to ask since I think I recognize this one. Did your friend buy his house
off Mojave? If so, I'm so in love with that kitchen.

oops wrong house. Thinking of this one:

Last edited by Mariza160; 06-28-2021 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: forgot picture

Old 06-28-2021, 02:47 PM

9,961 posts, read 3,577,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post
I have to ask since I think I recognize this one. Did your friend buy his house
off Mojave? If so, I'm so in love with that kitchen.

oops wrong house. Thinking of this one:
That one is very nice as well!

Old 06-30-2021, 02:58 AM

3,442 posts, read 1,055,873 times
Quote:
A friend has an interesting 2-story cooled wine storage room that is glass on 3 sides. The scale is a bit difficult to judge, but if you look closely, you'll see him inside the wine room retrieving another bottle (he's over 6'):
I was in a home with similar cellar in Henderson but, as I recall, there was a staircase in the middle.

Old 07-01-2021, 07:16 PM

7,059 posts, read 7,456,125 times
Quote:
@JonathanLB, great posts as usual.

What are some restaurants you like that fit your criteria?
Boy, let’s see before the pandemic we love Hash House A Go Go, huge portions but really good food! Sadly their hours are now for lunch only and we don’t usually go out for lunch, especially not large meals. My wife is much better about knowing the names of everywhere we go, there’s a Japanese restaurant we really like not far away, a good Chinese place, I also like the Thai food place we go but I’m so bad with names because we’ve tried a few and she always remembers which one we like the most ha ha. I’m thinking like the price range of $12-18 for a good entree / meal.

We will of course go out for nicer meals but for me, I’m pickier about “nice restaurants.” Too many have a great atmosphere, fancy food I don’t like (not a big seafood fan), and tiny portions. So Tuesday we went to a Brazilian steakhouse near Fashion Show Mall and it was awesome! Yeah it’s $62.50 per person but you get all of the food you want, it’s amazing quality, and it really feels worthwhile to do that every once in a while. If I’m spending $50-100 or beyond per person though, I need to be full or I won’t ever go back. Not everyone who has the money for fancy restaurants is old and low appetite - my dad is like that, so he doesn’t care, but for me I’m 38 and lift heavy weights 5 days a week, I build up an appetite, so I’d prefer the family style restaurant where I’m full than the fancy one where for 5x the price I leave hungry. That’s a pet peeve for me...

Old 07-05-2021, 01:33 AM

349 posts, read 152,404 times
Quote:
So Tuesday we went to a Brazilian steakhouse near Fashion Show Mall and it was awesome! Yeah it’s $62.50 per person but you get all of the food you want, it’s amazing quality, and it really feels worthwhile to do that every once in a while.
So you went to Galpao Gaucho? I saw this awesome video about it on youtube
but haven't made it over there yet. Definitely on my list to try. I don't eat meats besides
chicken and fish so if I do a Brazilian steakhouse, they have to have a very fancy and
deluxe salad bar at those prices. I have tried Fogo De Chao, Pampas and Texas de Brasil but
my favorite is Chima which isn't here in Las Vegas.

We're hitting Capo's on Tuesday. They have a local's special, buy one get one pastas and
I've seen good reviews. Anyone here been there?

Old 07-05-2021, 10:02 AM

993 posts, read 455,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post

We're hitting Capo's on Tuesday. They have a local's special, buy one get one pastas and
I've seen good reviews. Anyone here been there?
Have not been but the website and menu look good! Might have to check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: