Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 13,652 times

Advertisements

Is $120,000 salary enough per year in Las Vegas? I’m single from Seattle, WA (computer programmer). I don’t drink, smoke or gamble. I love to eat out and enjoy most things Las Vegas has to offer e.g. entertainment, weather, pools etc, There’s a good chance that job transfer to Las Vegas in near future. I’ve been to LV many times as tourist and had the opportunity to see outside of the strip. I love the weather! The valley is beautiful. I have done some research. I’m looking for an apartment in Henderson or Summerlin area for 6 months to start out with, and in at least a relatively safe neighborhood. Then purchase a house later down the road. Any suggestions on where to look? Reading threads on here makes it sound like it is almost impossible to find apartments in Las Vegas, is this accurate?

I have been reading threads on this site for a bit now, and so I have definitely heard a lot of negative things about moving to Las Vegas, and a lot of positive things also. I would appreciate any advice that would make this move a little easier. So tired of the rain in the Pacific Northwest!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 10:34 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
At 120k, you should be able to come up with a down payment. I would never consider renting.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:29 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,689 times
I have only heard through message boards and such that finding a place is difficult, but at your salary you can step up and pay a little more and shouldn't have a problem finding a place. I'm guessing part of the issue is rents have risen fairly quickly so people who were used to paying x are now finding it's x+$200. Rents were stagnant for quite some time in the past so I'm not surprised they are going up. I think it's smart to rent for 6 months and see where you want to land in the valley. Some people prefer Summerlin area, some Henderson.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:48 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,490 times
Quote:
Is $120,000 salary enough per year in Las Vegas?
Definitely. Las Vegas is not one of the most expensive cities in the US.

Old 06-11-2021, 12:42 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,709,719 times
I rented on a monthly basis while looking for a house to buy a few years ago. I ended up only needing a week to find a house to buy and only rented the apartment for one month. The apartment and complex was nice but modest and not inexpensive, but it was in a great area (89052). Finding a house to buy now is tough and prices keep going up. I'd get on it, do the research, get a realtor and buy asap. I don't think prices will stop rising in the near term.

Finding a house to rent for 6 months may be an issue, most want a year lease. If you get an unfurnished place, you don't need to pay to store your furniture. Moving furniture is a nightmare, beware of bad movers and damage. Frankly, I'd try to work it out so you can buy a house and move once. $120K year should be plenty to live on, but it depends on your budget. What debt will you have besides a mortgage? No state income tax, property taxes, home owners insurance and power bills are low here. I'm saving a lot compared to living in Illinois where the property taxes and power bills were high.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:58 AM

8 posts, read 13,652 times
Thank you!!

Old 06-20-2021, 11:05 AM

194 posts, read 194,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI-AVENTADOR View Post
Is $120,000 salary enough per year in Las Vegas? I’m single from Seattle, WA (computer programmer). I don’t drink, smoke or gamble. I love to eat out and enjoy most things Las Vegas has to offer e.g. entertainment, weather, pools etc, There’s a good chance that job transfer to Las Vegas in near future. I’ve been to LV many times as tourist and had the opportunity to see outside of the strip. I love the weather! The valley is beautiful. I have done some research. I’m looking for an apartment in Henderson or Summerlin area for 6 months to start out with, and in at least a relatively safe neighborhood. Then purchase a house later down the road. Any suggestions on where to look? Reading threads on here makes it sound like it is almost impossible to find apartments in Las Vegas, is this accurate?

I have been reading threads on this site for a bit now, and so I have definitely heard a lot of negative things about moving to Las Vegas, and a lot of positive things also. I would appreciate any advice that would make this move a little easier. So tired of the rain in the Pacific Northwest!

Thanks!

Agree with you on many points as a fellow PNW resident. Wife and I have been eyeing to move to Vegas in a few years.

Is your company relocating its HQ to Vegas in the future, or will you be working remotely from LV?

Old 06-23-2021, 09:59 AM

441 posts, read 439,627 times
My mom lives in Henderson and she loves it. They got a sweet deal on a beautiful condo about 10 years ago. She and her husband are both retired.

I am thinking about moving too. If I can convince hubby. He is a computer programmer and we live in the PNW too. It is getting crazy expensive here. I lived a few years in Seattle then moved down to PDX.

Old 06-24-2021, 05:17 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
I left Portland for Henderson, I love it here. 30+ years of rain was enough for me. We looked at both Summerlin and Henderson, Summerlin was the leader before I ever visited both and we thought for sure we’d end up there. I hated most of what I saw, we chose Henderson... so you never know, definitely look at both. People love them both it’s just personal preference, what fits for you, what feels right for you. There are amazing areas of Summerlin and Henderson, a lot is first impressions (mine was amazing in Henderson, awful in Summerlin, even though my wife says she’s explored much more and knows we just saw the worst of it).

You can live a good quality of life with that income. I run my company remotely (it’s based in LA) and live so well here compared to how it was in LA.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:20 AM

194 posts, read 194,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I left Portland for Henderson, I love it here. 30+ years of rain was enough for me. We looked at both Summerlin and Henderson, Summerlin was the leader before I ever visited both and we thought for sure we’d end up there. I hated most of what I saw, we chose Henderson... so you never know, definitely look at both. People love them both it’s just personal preference, what fits for you, what feels right for you. There are amazing areas of Summerlin and Henderson, a lot is first impressions (mine was amazing in Henderson, awful in Summerlin, even though my wife says she’s explored much more and knows we just saw the worst of it).

You can live a good quality of life with that income. I run my company remotely (it’s based in LA) and live so well here compared to how it was in LA.
Nice to know you are still enjoying LV. I admit I'm a little envious that you left the PNW for LV.

What is it about Henderson that you like? What is it about Summerlin that you didn't like? We checked out Summerlin before Covid hit; wife and I really like downtown Summerlin and its shops/eateries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: