Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 AM

3 posts, read 6,849 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I had a few of questions for those of you who are in construction work in LV. My in-laws live there and my father in-law used to work on the new Trump condo that just went up. When they completed the job he was let go and has been out of construction work ever since. (He was a Union worker I think). The job he performed entailed mixing paints and painting furniture that got dinged up during the "move in" process (he might have touched up walls too, I am not sure)

My questions are

#1 Can someone please tell me what the offcial name of this type of job is called? (I am trying to do a search for him on my own)

#2 Where is the best place to look for these types of jobs?

#3 Is the construction market in LV really that bad that he cant find a single opening in this kind of work right now????

Thanks and God Bless you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 08:01 AM

OK it doesnt appear anyone here knows....

Does anybody know a forums that I might be able to get the answers to my questions?

Thanks

Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Hello,

I had a few of questions for those of you who are in construction work in LV. My in-laws live there and my father in-law used to work on the new Trump condo that just went up. When they completed the job he was let go and has been out of construction work ever since. (He was a Union worker I think). The job he performed entailed mixing paints and painting furniture that got dinged up during the "move in" process (he might have touched up walls too, I am not sure)

My questions are

#1 Can someone please tell me what the offcial name of this type of job is called? (I am trying to do a search for him on my own)

#2 Where is the best place to look for these types of jobs?

#3 Is the construction market in LV really that bad that he cant find a single opening in this kind of work right now????

Thanks and God Bless you
The job you are referring to is called a Point Up Man on this side of the country. In the east we called it a Punch Out Man.

Those jobs in the residential end in Las Vegas are now non-existent since new home building is just about at a standstill. The little demand left for this type of job has been given to some one who already worked for the builder in a different position and was offered this job or be layed off.

There does seem to be quite a bit of commercial building still although I wonder why. With people barely getting by and not spending foolishly Im not sure how these retailers think they can slice the pie in any more peices. The retailers will crash in time but those who rent commercial space will win in the end since the tenants are bound by leases even if the renter goes belly up before the lease.

If your father worked on the Trump building he was likely union. Technically he has to shape at the hall on a regular basis and is not suppose to take any other job am I right? There are several large projects on the strip and since he has some experience I wonder why he cant sneak into one of them.

Yes the construction market is that bad in Las Vegas but with a little bright spot in commercial as I mentioned.

One exception to this is if you are an Electrician you can have your choice of 3 dozen jobs today. If you are a very experienced Electrician you can name your price. Any price. Just name it and your hired. There is currently that much of a demand for quality experienced Electricians.

A small shortage of Electricians, Union and non Union have ran to New Orleans to work on new city infrastructure. No residential crap jobs. I mean heavy line work. How does $75/hr sound with 100% free housing provided by FEMA. The only catch is you have to have a roomate in your trailer. You might not like him. But if you bring your own travel trailor or RV you can still hook up to utilities for free and pay NO rent.

Hope this helps.....

Old 05-16-2008, 12:25 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you so much Desertsun. I will pass some of this info along to my father in law.

You have been a great help!!

Thanks and have a nice weekend

Old 05-17-2008, 12:02 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Thank you so much Desertsun. I will pass some of this info along to my father in law.

You have been a great help!!

Thanks and have a nice weekend
No problem cheese, good luck to you.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:19 PM

13 posts, read 28,314 times
Hi there, please let me say that my husband has been in the union here for over 4 years and we are finally moving from here, thank God!!, the construction buisness here is drying up, there are over 6000 guys on the outta work list, so be very careful, the union here has listed that they will not be taking anymore out of staters or newbies, no work left really. Just about all the new projects have shut down, no buisness here=no money

Old 09-03-2008, 12:39 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Many projects are on hold for a year or so. It doesn't mean they won't ever be built. When the economy turns back around, so will construction. But in the meantime, for those looking for construction type work, best bet I hear is Texas. And anywhere in tornado country as well. Someone has to rebuild all those homes.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:25 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
so outtavegas, now that we know that your Husband is out of work, what do you do?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:12 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Air, that question deserves a rep but I can't...gotta spread the love.....

Old 09-03-2008, 11:07 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
well i know she wants out of vegas, wants to go to seattle, north carolina, somewhere else.. but if you look at every post, its a bashing.. there is one word for that....

TROLL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: