Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 01:45 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nope..don't work that way...the troubled schools all have the same problem.. Transiency. The poor schools get up to 60 and 70% transiency. That simply says that 60% or 70% of the student at day 180 are different than the students at day one. In a good school it will be less than 20%. So what if you are a great teacher. 70% of your score comes from students taught by someone else .

The major school system strategy is, in fact, to stamp out most originality and adjustability. The exact same material taught in each school class each day. The intent is that the student gets the right lesson even if he or she jumps around. It is all synchronized. That of course is a killer to a teacher. Prevents adopting to the need of the particular class. Or sending most of the class off on some side trip so you can deal with a few troubled students on the side. And god help a bright kid...doomed to being borted to death.
I can't disagree with you Capt.....but the problem goes farther back then that.....it goes back to the "CREATIVE education" of the past 20 years or so....the "NEW MATH" crap and the failure to teach the basics....it's moved us from one of the most intelligent Nations on earth to one of the dumbest.
It's true in ALL of the United States and more particularily in Las Vegas.....

NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND my sorry a$$....if they're mud stupid then they need to be left begind and we need to care less about bruising the lil darlins fragile egoes and more about bruising their behinds if they disrupt things.

DAM I hate when you make me get out the soapbox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 02:14 PM

99 posts, read 416,783 times
I honestly don't know what the answer is, but it's interesting to me that schools don't seem to care about encouraging a student's intellectual creativity and curiosity (I realize there must be exceptions to this somewhere. It wasn't at the school I taught at last). It seems that the focus of admin types is to put pressure on teachers to make sure the students do well on those state-mandated tests to keep school funding coming in.

Don't even get me started about NCLB. Just another of W's awful blunders.

I read a book on education recently titled The Dumbing Down of America by John Taylor Gatto, a retired NY teacher. The central message of his book, as best I recall, was that public schools are about preparing students to be mid-level corporate managers and clerks who follow the rules and make good cogs for the corporate machine.

Geez, that's harsh, but I think there is some truth to that. Is this in the right thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I can't disagree with you Capt.....but the problem goes farther back then that.....it goes back to the "CREATIVE education" of the past 20 years or so....the "NEW MATH" crap and the failure to teach the basics....it's moved us from one of the most intelligent Nations on earth to one of the dumbest.
It's true in ALL of the United States and more particularily in Las Vegas.....

NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND my sorry a$$....if they're mud stupid then they need to be left begind and we need to care less about bruising the lil darlins fragile egoes and more about bruising their behinds if they disrupt things.

DAM I hate when you make me get out the soapbox.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:26 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjason View Post
Geez, that's harsh, but I think there is some truth to that. Is this in the right thread?
Not really but it kinda wander in and then I saw a soap box sittin there all alone and one thing led to another.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:32 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,711,373 times
I was at a beach close to Hollywood, FL (just north of Miami Beach) and I was shocked to see women topless. I guess its normal over there..

Old 05-17-2008, 04:54 PM

99 posts, read 416,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Not really but it kinda wander in and then I saw a soap box sittin there all alone and one thing led to another.
I think a discussion can veer off, now and then, and I saw the same sop box, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas