Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:14 PM

278 posts, read 1,082,419 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas Now | Mayor Goodman Says 'Las Vegas' Name Worth Big Money

Am I reading this correctly. He wants national sponsors to pay to advertise in the suburbs? Rename our parks after corporate sponsors?
This man sure has some interesting ideas on how to make money. What is your opinion on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 03:22 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,050,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post

Am I reading this correctly. He wants national sponsors to pay to advertise in the suburbs? Rename our parks after corporate sponsors?
This man sure has some interesting ideas on how to make money. What is your opinion on this?
Truer words were never spoken......Oscar has some interesting Ideas....but at least he's thinking.......not all of them will work [like when he said he wanted to force the strip hotels to stop using the name Las Vegas] but sooner or later some do so I"m all for Oscar and his fruitcake Ideas lol

Old 05-13-2008, 03:23 PM

572 posts, read 1,681,522 times
Yes and no. It seems to me (IMO) that he is looking to generate some advertising revenue by allowing big-name companies to place ads on billboards around the city. Probably stretching out into unincorp. clark county? Hell, it's better than seeing ads for the same 3 home builders every time I drive out onto the 215.

As far as corporate sponsorships, why not? They do it all over the country. Back in NY we have the WAMU Theatre @ Madison Square Garden, Nikon @ Jones Beach Theatre, etc. etc. Same as Kodak Ampitheatre in LA - how do you think they got those names? $$ talks.

If it generates money for the city, why not? I think people in Vegas are so used to affiliating theatres and the like with hotels, that they just don't realize that there is another way around it. Plus, they are going to "censor" the ads, so at least we won't be seeing topless dancers on the side of city hall (although that would be sort of amusing, LOL!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post

Old 05-13-2008, 03:28 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,837,025 times
I can't imagine why a multi-national conglomerate would sponsor a small local park. What kind of ROI could they honestly expect from that? The only people that would see it are the neighborhood locals, and they are already inundated with a huge amount of advertising. His other ideas may hold some weight though, anything associated with the Strip or downtown will have a pretty high exposure.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:40 PM

I vote for the topless dancers on city hall......oooops.......

Old 05-13-2008, 03:43 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,129,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
I can't imagine why a multi-national conglomerate would sponsor a small local park. What kind of ROI could they honestly expect from that? The only people that would see it are the neighborhood locals, and they are already inundated with a huge amount of advertising. His other ideas may hold some weight though, anything associated with the Strip or downtown will have a pretty high exposure.
Hey one of our best regional park is named for a convicted felon..a legislator convicted of taking bribes. Tidy Bowl Park would be better...

Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM

99 posts, read 415,805 times
Call me an idealist, but here in California I have really hated to see this trend, over the years. The closest amphitheater to me and a great place to see concerts, formerly known as Irvine Meadows is now The Verizon Amphitheater. (Just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?)

Let's see, and then there's Staples Center (home of the Lakers), Qualcomm Stadium (home of the Chargers in San Diego, formerly known as Jack Murphy Field), Edison International Field of Anaheim (formerly Angel Stadium), and then there's the Glen Helen Pavilion, which actually might be an improvement because before that it was the Hyundai Pavilion.

I guess I'm old school, but I don't like this at all. All this corporate advertising makes me sick.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:30 PM

99 posts, read 415,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I vote for the topless dancers on city hall......oooops.......
Well, yeah, this sounds totally fine. I second that.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,291,586 times
For 32 years advertising was my life. But I don't want to see this kind of commercial intrusion in every part of our lives. I know it won't be overwhelming, and it will generate money for the city that won't come out of our pockets, but I don't like it either. Now if we can only get them to remove Floyd Lamb's name from Tule Springs Park...

My wife hits me when I say there are too many commercials on TV and the commercial audio is louder than the program audio, because for all those years I argued that it wasn't so.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
For 32 years advertising was my life. But I don't want to see this kind of commercial intrusion in every part of our lives. I know it won't be overwhelming, and it will generate money for the city that won't come out of our pockets, but I don't like it either. Now if we can only get them to remove Floyd Lamb's name from Tule Springs Park...

My wife hits me when I say there are too many commercials on TV and the commercial audio is louder than the program audio, because for all those years I argued that it wasn't so.
BUT back when you were in TV it WASN'T so.....and shows started and ended on time andon the hour or half hour.....now we have ear shattering advertising and show that start at 9:01 and end at 10:06
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: