Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 03:58 AM

103 posts, read 327,059 times

Advertisements

RE: Hubbys work/pay...from what we have seen most warehouses are only starting at around $9/hr out there while we do expect his experience to get him a little more than that we feel safer not expecting what he is making now. (rather guess low than high to be sure we can pay the bills) Problem with his CDL is most companies want verifiable OTR experience and all of his CDL driving has been for warehouse locally. He lost his hazmat endorsement but can pick it up again after studying the book but doesn't have any other endorsements. We would love for him to keep the $45 he's making now but are trying to be realistic. If we both make $9/hr at least we won't be loosing any money. I've been unemployed since christmas, can't even get a lousy cashier job. We've been ok on his salary alone so far and I am so damned boared sitting home all day it's driving me nuts!!! Moving in Aug so even if I'm offered a job now it's pointless to take as I'm busy packing up the apartment and trying to sell the furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Your concern is correct. Especially during the dog days of summer. You can not walk the dog on concrete, even at night be carefull. We have what they call radiational heating. The sun bakes the concrete all day and when the sun goes down the concrete continues to give off lots of heat just like charcoal in a grill. So even 5 hours after the sun goes down in June and July it remains over 100 degrees.

You also will have to learn to use your shirt tail to open your car door. The handle gets quite hot. Most construction workers have that tell tale burn line across their belly from leaning foward into the back of their pick up truck and their shirt goes up exposing their naked belly to the tail gate. That hurts.

The good news is we have many....about 8 that I can think of dog parks. Dogs are just fine on the grass but again.....remember: life does not begin here till after that aweful sun goes down. Then and only then do the dog parks get quite crowded. People dont go out during the day except to go to work. Things like shopping, dog parks, eating out are generally done when the sun goes down.

When I lived back east the hottest time of day was about 1-2PM. Here it is easily around 4-5PM. When that sun gets low in the sky it will burn the
corneas in your eyes into liquid.

You too have a great day....................
since our plan is an extended stay hotel (hate to admit will probably be not the best one in town) I don't expect there to be much grass available to walk him on...should we invest in those stupid looking booties to protect his precious paws? I can't wait to check out the dog parks, I have researched them and have all the addresses in my moving to vegas folder. Probably gonna be in an apartment for at least a year or two before we can get that fenced yard so we will be regulars at the dog park.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:24 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massagemamma View Post
since our plan is an extended stay hotel (hate to admit will probably be not the best one in town) I don't expect there to be much grass available to walk him on...should we invest in those stupid looking booties to protect his precious paws? I can't wait to check out the dog parks, I have researched them and have all the addresses in my moving to vegas folder. Probably gonna be in an apartment for at least a year or two before we can get that fenced yard so we will be regulars at the dog park.
I dont think I ever seen anyone put booties on their dogs feet. If you are going out during the day, all you do is carry him and place him on the grass. He is little so that is easy enough.

Most apartments have grassy areas but more and more they are taking out the grass to put rocks down. The water company is paying people to take out the grass and in some cases the payment just about pays for the rocks.

The very best dog parks are Desert Breeze and a brand new one at the very top of Lake Mead east side. Sunset Park is big but the Nazi police will trounce you in seconds if the dog is off the leash. No other parks bother people for good dogs off the leash except communist Sunset Park. The dog parks in Henderson suck. Like everything else there they build like there is no land left. Think small. You will have a brand new 10 acre park, and they make a dog run no more then 100" long. Not even enough for the dog to get up some speed. This is the case with all the parks. They are very very small.

Up Summerlin way they have several dog walk marches per year. They are great.

Oh and Buzz mentioned the respiratory problems here due to the dry heat. Another problem, and this was all covered in a very recent thread, is the dry and cracked skin problems. Especially nose, heals and under the finger nails. 10 years ago we would have a single digit humitity level here. Today with all the pools, misters, sprinkler systems and office complex fountians the levels can reach 15% and more. Still dry by Florida standards.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I dont think I ever seen anyone put booties on their dogs feet. If you are going out during the day, all you do is carry him and place him on the grass. He is little so that is easy enough.

Most apartments have grassy areas but more and more they are taking out the grass to put rocks down. The water company is paying people to take out the grass and in some cases the payment just about pays for the rocks.

The very best dog parks are Desert Breeze and a brand new one at the very top of Lake Mead east side. Sunset Park is big but the Nazi police will trounce you in seconds if the dog is off the leash. No other parks bother people for good dogs off the leash except communist Sunset Park. The dog parks in Henderson suck. Like everything else there they build like there is no land left. Think small. You will have a brand new 10 acre park, and they make a dog run no more then 100" long. Not even enough for the dog to get up some speed. This is the case with all the parks. They are very very small.

Up Summerlin way they have several dog walk marches per year. They are great.

Oh and Buzz mentioned the respiratory problems here due to the dry heat. Another problem, and this was all covered in a very recent thread, is the dry and cracked skin problems. Especially nose, heals and under the finger nails. 10 years ago we would have a single digit humitity level here. Today with all the pools, misters, sprinkler systems and office complex fountians the levels can reach 15% and more. Still dry by Florida standards.

I expect the dry skin for the hubs, but as a MT even not working I probably apply lotion 4-5 times a day as it is, it's always on hand. I am a little concerned about the nose but I guess I'll have to get over being grossed out and irrigate. For the feet and hands (if you can tolerate it) the best way to get moisture into the skin is to heavily apply a premium quality lotion without rubbing in (glop it on) and put on gloves or socks and sleep that way, it may drive you nuts though. I didn't really want to embarass myself with a bootie wearing poochie, but I love him enough to do it if necessary. He wears a coat when it gets real cold here. He didn't need it but once in fl this year but he wore it daily when we went to NJ in Feb. (I know I'm a slightly mental poochie parent but it's all out of love)

Old 05-16-2008, 09:47 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Quote:
RE: Hubbys work/pay...from what we have seen most warehouses are only starting at around $9/hr out there while we do expect his experience to get him a little more than that we feel safer not expecting what he is making now. (rather guess low than high to be sure we can pay the bills) Problem with his CDL is most companies want verifiable OTR experience and all of his CDL driving has been for warehouse locally. He lost his hazmat endorsement but can pick it up again after studying the book but doesn't have any other endorsements. We would love for him to keep the $45 he's making now but are trying to be realistic. If we both make $9/hr at least we won't be loosing any money. I've been unemployed since christmas, can't even get a lousy cashier job. We've been ok on his salary alone so far and I am so damned boared sitting home all day it's driving me nuts!!! Moving in Aug so even if I'm offered a job now it's pointless to take as I'm busy packing up the apartment and trying to sell the furniture.
I certainly understand that you want to expect the worst and I think that is a good idea. Here is a short list of driver jobs.

Jobs NV 89101 at Las Vegas Review-Journal Online

The class B positions would likely start at $12-$15 an hour, going up to $18-$20 for some of the class A positions. I would try everything from the Levi warehouse to Coke and Pepsi to Southern Nevada Wine and Spirits (I mentioned them previously) to maybe even Republic Services of Southern Nevada (the trash men, at least it's work and they pay pretty well). Good luck.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Come On you are really asking that?

It just seemed weird that one tread you are a total you know what, and then all of a sudden there are people that you don't like putting more encouraging posts, and your attitude changes!
Bug:
You never heard me be anything less then nice and helpfull to anyone. But when some know it nothings who sit on here all day pre dressed in full body armor just waiting for some one to post something negative about this cesspool so that they can go into full attack & trounce mode, then I fight back. Especially when they put me down. I deal with ants like that and put them in their place every day so dont want to take their crap when I come on here to relax and have fun with everyone else.

I am not speaking of olecapt either. He may be a little rough in here but I respect the man. He went so far and above what was required when I hired him. He is ok in my book. You know who I am referring to. Dont you jump on their pathetic wagon.

More encouraging posts? As I said before. I tell it like it truthfully and honestly is. If some one dont agree then it is not my fault they are wrong. They can go ahead and mislead people and it is none of my business but dont tell me Im wrong when Im not.

Asking you a question was out of curiosity. The thought came to mind I may know you since I cross paths with quite a few in that biz. I dont care anymore........carry on..................

Old 05-16-2008, 11:55 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
I was not putting you down on the post, we each have our own opinions. I just thought it was funny because your post on this thread seemed to do a 180. I have enjoyed some of your post and found them to be helpful.

I was very cranky yesterday!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I expect the dry skin for the hubs, but as a MT even not working I probably apply lotion 4-5 times a day as it is, it's always on hand. I am a little concerned about the nose but I guess I'll have to get over being grossed out and irrigate. For the feet and hands (if you can tolerate it) the best way to get moisture into the skin is to heavily apply a premium quality lotion without rubbing in (glop it on) and put on gloves or socks and sleep that way, it may drive you nuts though. I didn't really want to embarass myself with a bootie wearing poochie, but I love him enough to do it if necessary. He wears a coat when it gets real cold here. He didn't need it but once in fl this year but he wore it daily when we went to NJ in Feb. (I know I'm a slightly mental poochie parent but it's all out of love)
I asked my MT about you. She said once you graduate and get your license it is a temporary license. She is not sure if this changed but when she got her license she was required to do an internship on the honor system. She had to do 10 free massages to any stranger meaning friends and family. The hours and type of massage had to be logged.

Some students did these 10 massages right in the school who offered them to outsiders for a very low price. The school got the money, not the student. Those 10 massages were the internship needed to be a fully licensed MT. From there they can go into more specialties like what she does for me twice a month for 6 years, reflexology. I cant even remember her touching my back, nothing but feet for 6 years.

There was a very large massage school in Las Vegas for ions. I think it was called Dahan Institute of MT. It went out of business maybe 4-5 years ago and left students in the cold. I dont know where you can get answers today but Im sure it is easy to look up.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
I was not putting you down on the post, we each have our own opinions. I just thought it was funny because your post on this thread seemed to do a 180. I have enjoyed some of your post and found them to be helpful.

I was very cranky yesterday!
No problem at all. I do see how I sounded like I did a 180. I hope I made that up to massagemamma by now. Dont want her thinking we are all koo koo.

No hard feelings here. REPs to you my friend.

Have a great day !!!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,276 times
Quote:
I hope I made that up to massagemamma by now. Dont want her thinking we are all koo koo.

No hard feelings here. REPs to you my friend.

Have a great day !!!!!!!!
You too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas