Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:28 PM

322 posts, read 1,270,485 times

Advertisements

How do you get pizza delivered in a gated community? Do you give the driver your gate code?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
How do you get pizza delivered in a gated community? Do you give the driver your gate code?
Often they have it. But if not they call you wnen they get to the gate and you let them in.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:07 PM

322 posts, read 1,270,485 times
If they already have it - How is this any more secure than NOT having a gate.

If the pizza dude, the chineese food, molly maid, and other "service employees" have the code, what good does it serve?

Isn't the point of an "exclusive" gated community to keep the low end members of society out?

just wondering, I am moving into an apartment with a gate and I think its annoying

Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
If they already have it - How is this any more secure than NOT having a gate.

If the pizza dude, the chineese food, molly maid, and other "service employees" have the code, what good does it serve?

Isn't the point of an "exclusive" gated community to keep the low end members of society out?

just wondering, I am moving into an apartment with a gate and I think its annoying
Welcome to the real world. I passed through a dozen gates today. I used gate codes on less than half.

Gates have some minor impact on drive through hooliganism. Other than that they provide no real protection.

But they make some peope feel better.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,918,186 times
Gates are really meant more for looks than for protections. Gates with code-entrance are a joke; within a month, half the world knows how to get in.

Guarded gates are usually a more legit form of protection.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:40 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,952 times
Half the time gates are open or don't work. Just look at the numbers the dirtiest ones are the codes, and there is only a few ways they can go. Unless your HOA actually does something and changes them often!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:50 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,955 times
Don't forget that all the kids also pass the code to friends who pass it to their friends unless it is manned 24/7 by guards a gate does little good.

Other down side is when gates a vandalized and residents get stuck inside or outside the community.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:29 AM

191 posts, read 665,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
Don't forget that all the kids also pass the code to friends who pass it to their friends unless it is manned 24/7 by guards a gate does little good.

Other down side is when gates a vandalized and residents get stuck inside or outside the community.

good point pare

Old 05-16-2008, 01:41 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
The gates are psychological. If a burglar wants to rob you nothing can stop him. But gates make residents feel safer and they actually do provide a slight deterrent. Robbers will many times bypass your house/community if there is any difficulty getting in and out quickly, or if there is a barking dog, etc. Doesn't stop all criminals though. The sound of the bolt being operated on a nice sawed off 12 gauge coming from a darkened house is a good way to ruin a burglars pants too. I'm glad our community has a gate. Besides it makes the entry look good.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:44 AM

191 posts, read 665,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
The gates are psychological. If a burglar wants to rob you nothing can stop him. But gates make residents feel safer and they actually do provide a slight deterrent. Robbers will many times bypass your house/community if there is any difficulty getting in and out quickly, or if there is a barking dog, etc. Doesn't stop all criminals though. The sound of the bolt being operated on a nice sawed off 12 gauge coming from a darkened house is a good way to ruin a burglars pants too. I'm glad our community has a gate. Besides it makes the entry look good.
HAHA..the 12 guage is a for sure thing to detter a burglar..but in my case a 40 sw glock will do fine also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas