Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 03:40 PM

783 posts, read 836,291 times

Advertisements

Most of the landlords I know, myself included, are considering selling their investment properties soon. With real estate at an all time high in value and crazy policies of demonization of landlords and forbidding the collection of rent, it makes the most sense. I can get double the income of what I collect in rent with mutual fund investments and less headaches.

This leaves my poor single mom renter without her beautiful home that she is renting for 1/2 the rent I could be asking. If the ma and pa landlords cash out the situation will only get worse with low inventory and professional property managers asking going rate. It’s the ma and pa’s that offer lower rent and we don’t charge late fees and all the other charges property managers tack on. We also take more risks with tenants by renting to folks who might not otherwise qualify.

We are also considering the probability of capital gains rates going up up up soon with current government policies in play. Single family homes for rent may soon be a rarity and completely unaffordable for most.

Old 03-12-2022, 06:36 AM

261 posts, read 234,642 times
ChrisMT is spot on, I own number of rentals, sold three in the past 3 years. One primary reason is constant issues with tenants, mainly money. They think I am a pay day loan firm. It gets very old. Also tenants that used my house as an Airbb, just a nightmare with code enforcement, but they were fine in the end. I was still out thousands. If you sue these leaches, it takes years to collect as their pay may not meet minimum requirements to collect more than $100 a month.

Old 03-18-2022, 05:23 AM

79 posts, read 53,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
Most of the landlords I know, myself included, are considering selling their investment properties soon. With real estate at an all time high in value and crazy policies of demonization of landlords and forbidding the collection of rent, it makes the most sense. I can get double the income of what I collect in rent with mutual fund investments and less headaches.

This leaves my poor single mom renter without her beautiful home that she is renting for 1/2 the rent I could be asking. If the ma and pa landlords cash out the situation will only get worse with low inventory and professional property managers asking going rate. It’s the ma and pa’s that offer lower rent and we don’t charge late fees and all the other charges property managers tack on. We also take more risks with tenants by renting to folks who might not otherwise qualify.

We are also considering the probability of capital gains rates going up up up soon with current government policies in play. Single family homes for rent may soon be a rarity and completely unaffordable for most.
Thank you for your post. It makes sense.

However, your mutual funds might lose too. There are no guarantees on anything.

The issue I have is that Vegas is turning into LA, and that sucks. The crime and traffic going up. And the people here are out of their minds for the most part. That is what is making me consider selling: the culture is just not what I want. Specifically, the lack of nature activities.

Old 03-18-2022, 10:44 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveborsto12 View Post
Thank you for your post. It makes sense.

However, your mutual funds might lose too. There are no guarantees on anything.

The issue I have is that Vegas is turning into LA, and that sucks. The crime and traffic going up. And the people here are out of their minds for the most part. That is what is making me consider selling: the culture is just not what I want. Specifically, the lack of nature activities.

Lack of nature activities? Like what? Plenty of places to hike, you can rent E-bikes, ATV around Red Rock, horseback riding at both Red Rock and Mt. Charleston. Water sports at Lake Mead, and "Lake" Las Vegas has activities. Mt. Charleston/Lee Canyon for snow. It's just too hot during the summer to do a lot of things.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:29 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosze View Post
Lack of nature activities? Like what? Plenty of places to hike, you can rent E-bikes, ATV around Red Rock, horseback riding at both Red Rock and Mt. Charleston. Water sports at Lake Mead, and "Lake" Las Vegas has activities. Mt. Charleston/Lee Canyon for snow. It's just too hot during the summer to do a lot of things.
Lake Mead is drying up. Mt. Charleston is okay, but not when you're sharing it with 3 million other people in the Las Vegas Valley. Same with Red Rock.

Valley of Fire is neat for hikes. Gold Butte up by Mesquite is actually a stunning piece of land! I hope they can protect it better before the hordes of ATV riders and gun enthusiasts destroy it. A couple of blogs I read were talking about how some Asshats went out and were shooting at ancient petroglyph markings and ruining them. I don't know what it is about some people that have the need to be purposefully destructive? It's truly a mental disorder.

Ash Springs is a neat place, not too far from Las Vegas. Then, of course, there's Zion and Bryce in Utah, or the north rim of Grand Canyon nearby.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosze View Post
No trees.
Lack of natural water.
Lack of four seasons.

That is what I mean.

The sun is great, but there is much more.

I have lived in Central NY for 30 years and Vegas for 18 years. Both are good. But, CNY has much more to offer in nature.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:25 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Let's be honest, to like being outside in Vegas, you gotta like the desert, because for the most part (excepting driving up to Mt. Charleston), that's basically what it's got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveborsto12 View Post
No trees.
Lack of natural water.
Lack of four seasons.

That is what I mean.

The sun is great, but there is much more.

I have lived in Central NY for 30 years and Vegas for 18 years. Both are good. But, CNY has much more to offer in nature.

Old 03-20-2022, 05:11 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,705,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Let's be honest, to like being outside in Vegas, you gotta like the desert, because for the most part (excepting driving up to Mt. Charleston), that's basically what it's got.
Lots of areas here that make me forget it's a desert. Summerlin, Seven Hills, Henderson, Desert Shores, Southern Highlands, etc.

Old 03-20-2022, 05:23 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,462,437 times
Dallas one bedroom apt is still under $1100.
how about Savannah ,georgia?

Old 03-20-2022, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Lots of areas here that make me forget it's a desert. Summerlin, Seven Hills, Henderson, Desert Shores, Southern Highlands, etc.
Green Valley Ranch too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas