Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 3,550 times

Advertisements

Hola!

Have enjoyed browsing this board as I am planning to move from Mexico to LV in the next 6 months.

Senior citizen, single, veteran, retired to Mexico 12 years ago from Maryland and live very well on small fixed income. However, increasing medical needs force me to have closer access to VA medical facilities. Considered southern AZ, but low income housing near Tucson is, based on the few I have viewed, terrible and like everywhere, have long waiting lists.

Why Vegas? Well, I was actually born there. Tho I moved away at an early age, my thoughts always return to LV when I have considered returning to the US on a permanent basis. Family is back east (PA) and that is out of the question as far as relocating there...been there, done that!

I have lived in or near the Sonoran desert for most of my time here, so heat is not a factor. Extreme cold (like in PA!) is...

I have a tight budget, knowing I will have to spend some time paying monthly rates while I apply at subsidized senior housing apartments.

But it looks doable except for possibly the cost of keeping a vehicle. Having been off-the-grid credit wise for 12 years, I basically have to start over building my credit, so not sure what vehicle insurance costs will be in the LV area.

I have a (much!) older pickup truck I have used for my various moves down here and will use to move to LV. But may have to give it up if the insurance puts a strain on the budget.

Looking for any thoughts on living in/near LV w/o a personal vehicle. How do you get around? Public transportation? Bicycle? Scooter? Walk?

I see there are many 55+ apt units in North Las Vegas, where I would prefer as it is close to the VA medical center, but east or west areas look doable as well.

Open for input!

Monty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 05:05 AM

228 posts, read 198,507 times
Auto insurance is crazy expensive here, VS Texas. It may help if you post your budget. My spouse is an RN at the VA and we live close in a 55+ development. We bought 4 years ago, but could not afford it if we were to buy it today. Prices have gone crazy. We shop every two weeks. A red pepper went from 99 cents to $1.18 each, in just 2 weeks. I am sure this is not just Vegas, but everywhere.
The nice part is we are not spending on entertainment, as we have not been out since Feb. 2020. You may look at Pahrump NV, Nye County, for a cheaper cost. I know my spouse can make more there as an RN for the VA.

Old 09-19-2021, 05:07 PM

687 posts, read 1,949,525 times
Monty,

What you are proposing may have made sense 5 years ago - not so much today. There are no affordable apts in any kind of desirable neighborhood here in Las Vegas. You may want to hang out in Mexico for a few more years. I hear it's pretty nice there and many people I know go to Mexico for their medical needs. If you're determined to move here, then look for a room rental in a house. You might find something suitable for $500 or so a month and you'll have someone to talk to at home. I don't think you'll be successful trying to find subsidized senior apt living as the waiting lists are quite long and if you don't have an "in" you'll be at the end of the list. The VA might be able to assist. I wish you all the best but be sure to enter this move with your eyes wide open.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:57 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,061,382 times
it all depends what your budget is... if you are thinking $1000 a month all in (car ins, apt, utilities, etc), that's not going to happen

Old 09-19-2021, 07:21 PM

80 posts, read 80,598 times
Default find out if those 55+ units

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyJared View Post
Hola!

Have enjoyed browsing this board as I am planning to move from Mexico to LV in the next 6 months.

Senior citizen, single, veteran, retired to Mexico 12 years ago from Maryland and live very well on small fixed income. However, increasing medical needs force me to have closer access to VA medical facilities. Considered southern AZ, but low income housing near Tucson is, based on the few I have viewed, terrible and like everywhere, have long waiting lists.

Why Vegas? Well, I was actually born there. Tho I moved away at an early age, my thoughts always return to LV when I have considered returning to the US on a permanent basis. Family is back east (PA) and that is out of the question as far as relocating there...been there, done that!

I have lived in or near the Sonoran desert for most of my time here, so heat is not a factor. Extreme cold (like in PA!) is...

I have a tight budget, knowing I will have to spend some time paying monthly rates while I apply at subsidized senior housing apartments.

But it looks doable except for possibly the cost of keeping a vehicle. Having been off-the-grid credit wise for 12 years, I basically have to start over building my credit, so not sure what vehicle insurance costs will be in the LV area.

I have a (much!) older pickup truck I have used for my various moves down here and will use to move to LV. But may have to give it up if the insurance puts a strain on the budget.

Looking for any thoughts on living in/near LV w/o a personal vehicle. How do you get around? Public transportation? Bicycle? Scooter? Walk?

I see there are many 55+ apt units in North Las Vegas, where I would prefer as it is close to the VA medical center, but east or west areas look doable as well.

Open for input!

Monty
are rent based on income. That's what u need.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:35 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,456,773 times
Laughlin... But would depend on how often you needed VA. 95 miles..

Old 09-19-2021, 07:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,554,469 times
there are VA hospitals in other cities-
https://www.va.gov/houston-health-ca...edical-center/
free ride ,even mobile VA clinics
apt rent in Houston is still affordable,and Metro the bus company is quite good.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:39 PM

what is your budget for apt rent?

Old 09-19-2021, 07:41 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,456,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
there are VA hospitals in other cities-
https://www.va.gov/houston-health-ca...edical-center/
free ride ,even mobile VA clinics
apt rent in Houston is still affordable,and Metro the bus company is quite good.
Yeah, I was thinking he might be better off near Hayden in Phoenix, but that is now a higher rent area, after decades of being fringy. There is a place called Fellowship Towers that is income based.. but it could have gone from no wait to multi year wait in the last five years. Google it..

Old 09-19-2021, 09:50 PM

These days with buses and subways and LYFT and Uber,you may not need a car if you live in apt complex in the city/
I know a couple live in 55 plus apt complex right behind a supermarket,you walk 30 feet from the building right into the store and 100 feet,there is a bus stop.
It is the busiest street in Houston called Westheimer Rd,you wil find WMT,Lowe,Bestbuy,Mcdonald,Capital Grille,everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas