Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 04:23 PM

390 posts, read 755,763 times

Advertisements

A friend just told me her friend in Las Vegas said it's just like San Francisco with the theft issue. I really haven't heard that (or seen that). She claimed people are walking out of stores with mechandise and not paying, while police do nothing. anybody else see this happen? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 09:47 PM

355 posts, read 213,386 times
I saw a guy steal a 6-pack of beer from the CVS at Buffalo & W. Sahara once.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:55 PM

63 posts, read 67,776 times
I’ve witnessed it twice just in the last week. First was at REI in The District. It was two guys and a girl. They were in and out in less than 2 minutes grabbed everything they could. It was wild. I talked with the girl at the checkout and she said it was the fourth time it had happened since Black Friday. Then this Wednesday I was at Target on Green Valley and Horizon Ridge and they’re were four people running out with cart full of electronics and laundry soap. There was a SUV parked in front of the entrance that they threw everything into. A guy tried to get involved and one of the guys flashed a knife.

My gf works at the Target on Blue Diamond on says that they have seen a sharp increase in theft, but no “flash mob” style.

It makes me not ever want to go out TBH. This $h!T need to get under control

Last edited by lbc1998; 12-12-2021 at 12:05 AM..

Old 12-12-2021, 01:25 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
I haven't seen anyone doing that yet. But I am sure if we all give it time. Now these things would not keep happening if someone would do something about it. So instead of someone chasing the people down that are doing it, the criminals will keep doing it because they know they can.

I was told by the manager of Smiths some time back that they apprehended a guy trying to steal a whole lot of stuff by concealing it in a tall trash can, he stuffed that 13 gallon trash can full of meats, cheeses, beer, etc, then like a total moron, tried to get out of the store by just paying for the trash can. Any 'smart' criminal should know that they always check inside of items to see if someone is trying to get away with anything. He took off running really fast and ran into the wall. He should have known if he is running from authority, do not turn around and look at who is chasing him, because he could run into a wall. lol

Old 12-12-2021, 06:15 AM

107 posts, read 138,558 times
This may end up being the end of retail as we know it. Stores can't afford these kind of losses indefinitely.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:02 AM

20 posts, read 27,584 times
According to National Association for Shoplifting Prevention, shoplifting costs retailers about $50 Billion per year and costs taxpayers $33.21 billion or $75,000 per minute. Other sources said $61 Billion was shop lifted in 2019. I hate thieves and would encourage public hangings.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:18 AM

228 posts, read 197,043 times
When I was younger and a manager for Tom Thumb, Dallas, we had the right to confront shoplifters and if they resisted we would use force. This was in the 70s.
One guy was stealing 200.00 worth of cigarettes at the Highland Park store I worked. We chased him through the Mrs. Bairds bakery, out to I-75, where he jumped into the back seat of a car, the people jumped out of the car, as I and the grocery Mgr. struggled to get him. A customer who had witnessed this pulled up to help, he took a tire iron and smashed the guy in the forehead, breaking his glasses. Keep in mind 1979, we were walking this poor beat turd back to the store. Mockingbird and 75 were swarming with Highland Park police. When we got the poor sod back up to the store, dripping blood from the gash in his head, the police took and slammed him into a brick wall.
I seriously felt sorry for the guy, as he was hurt. I am no Liberal and while we did not hurt him, the customer and police did.
Now, that there is no punishment, by the courts, police, proprietors, you have the California effect. Who pays the price??? The consumer. South Dallas stores (Tom Thumb) had higher prices, as there was more shoplifting.
You see Walgreens and other stores pull out of the "ghetto" areas and liberals blame them. I am gay, so I should be one of the bleeding heart liberals, but I am NOT when it comes to crime. We all pay the price for these scum bags who steal. I considered myself a moderate but had no choice but to vote for Republicans in 2016 & 2020.
While living in Spain, I heard a Catala' lady defend Franco, she made clear she was Catalan. She said, "I gave up my personal freedom under Franco, for my political freedom. Meaning, under the fascist
dictator, she was free to walk the streets with her purse and jewelry and not be robbed, as the police would keep the streets safe.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:35 AM

228 posts, read 197,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW2FL View Post
According to National Association for Shoplifting Prevention, shoplifting costs retailers about $50 Billion per year and costs taxpayers $33.21 billion or $75,000 per minute. Other sources said $61 Billion was shop lifted in 2019. I hate thieves and would encourage public hangings.
I agree, first offense, public caning, second offense, chop off the hand, 3rd time, "get a rope and a tall tree".

Old 12-12-2021, 09:05 AM

390 posts, read 755,763 times
Come on, lets just make sure theft is handled the way it should be handled. Make it a crime that they must pay for. Money and maybe even a few days in jail for even a simple theft. Lets make sure to film anyone stealing things and make it a crime period.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:08 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy2017 View Post
I agree, first offense, public caning, second offense, chop off the hand, 3rd time, "get a rope and a tall tree".
Way too lenient. I would put them in a jail cell and force them to watch continuous episodes of “the view”. Of course that may be considered cruel and unusual punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas