Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:35 AM

65 posts, read 231,061 times

Advertisements

We are brand new to Nevada and we are renting a home. We have been having some trouble with a large patch of grass that is turning brown. We set the sprinkler system to water 3 times per week for 9 minutes - as of last week (it was twice a week for 5 minutes) and it isn't helping - it is really brown now. My landlord just sent me an e-mail saying that she received a complaint letter from the HOA about the grass. I feel like I just got in trouble from the teacher! LOL.

Can someone please give me some advice on how to fix this problem. I don't know what else to do other than water it which doesn't seem to be helping. Should I be watering more often? We are watering at night which I believe is correct.

I also have some palms in the backyard with dead palm leaves. Do we just cut them off or is there something else that I should be doing with the palms?

This is definately different than in the midwest where all we did was mow our one acre. When the landlord said that we had to take care of the lawn, I laughed - piece of cake (I thought). I took care of one acre - how hard can this small piece of yard be?? LOL

Any advice/pointers will be greatly appreciated!!

Ally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 11:45 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
I personally would go to Plant world and buy enough sod to cover the area....dig it out and place the sod in that spot...and then water as usual.....and you may find that the spot is one of "THOSE areas" that will never grow grass.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epad View Post
We are brand new to Nevada and we are renting a home. We have been having some trouble with a large patch of grass that is turning brown. We set the sprinkler system to water 3 times per week for 9 minutes - as of last week (it was twice a week for 5 minutes) and it isn't helping - it is really brown now. My landlord just sent me an e-mail saying that she received a complaint letter from the HOA about the grass. I feel like I just got in trouble from the teacher! LOL.

Can someone please give me some advice on how to fix this problem. I don't know what else to do other than water it which doesn't seem to be helping. Should I be watering more often? We are watering at night which I believe is correct.

I also have some palms in the backyard with dead palm leaves. Do we just cut them off or is there something else that I should be doing with the palms?

This is definately different than in the midwest where all we did was mow our one acre. When the landlord said that we had to take care of the lawn, I laughed - piece of cake (I thought). I took care of one acre - how hard can this small piece of yard be?? LOL

Any advice/pointers will be greatly appreciated!!

Ally
First check your sprinklers. set out a couple of glasses on the brown spot. you should get a half inch or more of water when the sprinkler cycles. That is the number one cause of brown spots in a healthy lawn. Looking out my kitchen window right now at a couple I am sure are that problem.

Get a bag of fertilizer with the bug stuff in it. Spread it per directions. Go to daily watering. Water around dawn. It is legal to water when trying to fix a problem. You might even try twice a day for half the time. Water fixes most problems with lawns.

All that fails go get a bad of a grass seed to match your lawn...mostly fescue if not bermuda here. A big of soil topper. Rake the spot spread seed and topper and water twice a day and maybe once more at mid-day.

YOu might also pick up a piece of sod. Anything in it like grubs. Is it damp underneath. If not it is a water problem.

Have fun. Grass is easy to grow here.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:29 PM

65 posts, read 231,061 times
Thanks!!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:54 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,862,964 times
Is 3 times a week at 9 minutes enough for grass? That's how much I water my xeriscape. I thought grass needed somthing like 20-30 minutes of watering. Granted, xeriscape has bubblers and not full sprinker heads, but still.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk View Post
Is 3 times a week at 9 minutes enough for grass? That's how much I water my xeriscape. I thought grass needed somthing like 20-30 minutes of watering. Granted, xeriscape has bubblers and not full sprinker heads, but still.
Summertime the recommendation is generally 3 or 4 minutes twice a day.

Xeriscape is normally a much longer run. I do 45 minutes every third day. Go to an hour at the peak of the heat. That is a max of 3 gallons per plant.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:57 PM

150 posts, read 635,942 times
Get your landlord over there to take care of the problem. It is his grass.

Send HOA letters to the landlord and let the HOA know what his address is for future letters.

Better yet tell him to yank it out go xeriscape and treat Vegas like the desert it is.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasResident View Post
Get your landlord over there to take care of the problem. It is his grass.

Send HOA letters to the landlord and let the HOA know what his address is for future letters.

Better yet tell him to yank it out go xeriscape and treat Vegas like the desert it is.

Las Vegas is the oasis in the desert.

I believe his lease required him to take care of the lawn. Someplaces don't allow xeriscape.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:15 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Could it be lawn fungus? They make people water at night and I've always been told watering at night causes it.

How To Remove Grass Fungus | eHow.com

Old 05-23-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Could it be lawn fungus? They make people water at night and I've always been told watering at night causes it.

How To Remove Grass Fungus | eHow.com
Could be...but it is early for fungus. That is the reason I suggested he water at dawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas