Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 PM

11 posts, read 58,693 times

Advertisements

Where are some good places to camp that are close, 50 to 100 miles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 10:48 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,405,682 times
really depends on what you consider good. you looking for solitude or convenience? are you car camping or packing in? when are you planning on camping? (weather and altitude play a big role in where to camp and when)

the mtn campgrounds are just opening now, but some ppl might still find them cold (plan on heading up there in early june though). i just camped out near lake mead a couple weeks ago and it was just getting hot. if you like roughing it, there is alway the sheep mtns as well.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:55 PM

3,719 posts, read 14,670,100 times
Lake Mead National Recreation Area - Campgrounds (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 05-29-2008, 06:01 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,221,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
Need more info on what kind of camping you have in mind. Are you looking for a place to take the kids and spend a night in a tent, do you mean day camping, fishing, hunting, or are you into back packing in wilderness? How experienced are you? Right now it's getting too hot to camp anywhere but in the mountains.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:45 PM

11 posts, read 58,693 times
Thanks everyone for your help.

It would be my husband and I, and we would be in a tent. It would be to get out of town for the weekend. I would like somewhere I could hike and bike.

Thanks again

Old 05-31-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help.

It would be my husband and I, and we would be in a tent. It would be to get out of town for the weekend. I would like somewhere I could hike and bike.

Thanks again
One of the best reasons for living in Las Vegas is the proximity to so many beautiful outdoors recreation opportunities. But for some of them you'll have to do some driving to get there. Here in the vast open spaces of the west we are used to long drives with little or no traffic to worry about, so we think nothing of driving 300 miles to someplace like Great Basin National Park, or Cave Lake in Ely for a long weekend. Great Basin National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Nevada Division of State Parks - Cave Lake State Park

But for newbies, Zion Canyon National Park is not only close by, it is world class in scenery, hiking, camping, biking, rock climbing, etc.
Driving Directions from Las Vegas, NV to Springdale, UT

The Grand Circle in southern Utah is the about the most beautiful part of the country. Grand Circle | Utah.com

Closer to town is Kyle Canyon and/or Lee Canyon but those sites fill up early and you may need a reservation. Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest - About Us - SMNRA

If you are into backpacking and can do a very strenuous hike you can hike up either the south rim or north rim trail at Mt. Charleston and camp on top in the meadow.

Most places in southern Nevada are now too hot for camping until about mid to late October except for Mt. Charleston.

You might enjoy Eagle Valley Reservoir, especially if you like to fish. Biking would require mountain bikes for almost any of these places. Skinny road bike tires wouldn't work. Nevada Division of State Parks - Spring Valley State Park

There are lots of places to go around here but 50 to 100 miles is not quite far enough to beat the heat in summer in most cases. It might still be cool enough in the evenings to camp at Lake Mead, but it will be close to or over 100º in the daytime. At Lake Mead watch out for buzzworms too. Don't be scared, just watch out for them.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:36 PM

278 posts, read 1,080,859 times
Quote:
buzzworms
do you mean rattlesnakes?

Old 06-01-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
do you mean rattlesnakes?
Yes, "buzzworm" is a cutsie western term for rattlesnake.

Any water source will attract snakes. Most are harmless but there are rattlesnakes all along the Colorado River. I have seen the tracks of sidewinders in the soft sand dunes out there. I've seen harmless snakes along the lake shore, but never a rattlesnake. I've heard scary stories from various boaters, and there have been a couple of cases in the news where guys were drunk and messed with rattlesnakes out there and were bitten. One guy sat down under a tree and refused help. He didn't make it. A drunk who thinks it would be fun to harass a snake is asking for it. I understand that being drunk makes a snakebite more likely to kill you.

I've seen lots of rattlesnakes in other parts of southern Nevada so I know they are around. But out of literally millions of people that visit Lake Mead (there are usually over a quarter million people on the lake on busy weekends like the 4th of July), very few ever see a snake. Snakes don't want to be seen or stepped on and will hide from you practically in plain sight. They are shy and never aggressive, but will fight back if you poke at them like some people do. Enjoy nature from a distance but don't disturb it.

There are several species of rattlesnakes in southern Nevada. Although I have yet to see one, we have coral snakes too. I think they are further down river and closer to Arizona but I'm not sure. King snakes look like coral snakes but are harmless. The way to tell is in the color bands of red, yellow and black. There is a saying, "Red against black, friend of Jack; red against yellow, kill a fellow." The word is you have to actually pick one up and play with it to be bitten as they have to chew on you to inject poison. Same thing with Gila Monsters, the only poisonous lizard around here. I wouldn't rely on that though.

Coral Snake Photo - Deadly Coral Snake Resemblance to a King Snake

One of the neatest things I've ever seen was up at Cold Creek where I watched two California Kings doing a mating dance. Very sensuous to watch.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 13,064 times
Quote:

Old 06-22-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae rightman View Post
Quote:
Asked and answered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas