Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 12,161 times

Advertisements

Moing to vegas with my family next month. We are looking to rent a house either in summerlin or henderson. We have heard good things about both places. We were told by one of the schools we called that summerlin was the nicer area. We would like an honest opinion abot these two places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 01:40 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times
If you can afford it take Summerlin hands down. It's much prettier, cleaner, nicer, etc. It's beautiful in Summerlin....very clean and well kept up, lots of shopping and restaurants, etc. When you say "Henderson" it's a bit too vague. There are some areas of Henderson that are "okay" and others (like Green Valley) that are really nice. If you are talking the Green Valley area of Henderson I say it's very nice there, plenty of shopping, restaurant, well kept up, freeway access, etc. It's probably a little bit cheaper of than Summerlin. Really you can't go wrong with either one (Summerlin or Green Valley). But not all areas of Henderson are super nice like Green Valley.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:47 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,682,999 times
Summerlin is better than Green Valley. I live in Green Valley, its always noisy, its not very convenient, has more traffic than Summerlin. IMO Summerlin was planned better than Green Valley, especially with all those common areas (community pools, clubhouses, etc.).

Old 01-05-2007, 06:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
I personally prefer Summerlin...more on the basis of elevation and prevailing dust/smog flow and such.

For all practical purposes The southern side of Henderson...from the 215 into the mountains...and Summerlin are interchangable. Both have excellent schools and tracts to the multimillions. Both start at just below 300K and go to the multimillions. Summerlin is somewhat better masterplanned but some of the individual developments within Henderson are just as good. Simply more local.

I would be more inclined to pick based on where you work and need to be. The strip is roughly neutral...The south strip is more accessible from Henderson...the north and downtown from Summerlin. The west side go Summerlin..The east side go Henderson.

If you need to get to Nellis or Apex you are screwed from either.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:26 PM

40 posts, read 219,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I personally prefer Summerlin...more on the basis of elevation and prevailing dust/smog flow and such.

For all practical purposes The southern side of Henderson...from the 215 into the mountains...and Summerlin are interchangable. Both have excellent schools and tracts to the multimillions. Both start at just below 300K and go to the multimillions. Summerlin is somewhat better masterplanned but some of the individual developments within Henderson are just as good. Simply more local.

I would be more inclined to pick based on where you work and need to be. The strip is roughly neutral...The south strip is more accessible from Henderson...the north and downtown from Summerlin. The west side go Summerlin..The east side go Henderson.

If you need to get to Nellis or Apex you are screwed from either.
Lived in grn valley...not impressed unless you can afford one of the new (pricey) areas.....henderson at least to me seems hotter,older,cluttered.....

you can tell the better parts of any town by where the growth is ( not just housing, but services,businesses) where the city is putting the money .... look where parks, hospitals, schools and Malls are being built.......

Old 01-14-2007, 08:40 AM

58 posts, read 312,165 times
Olecapt has excellent advice. I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either Summerlin or the newer area's of Henderson. Both are a toss up in my opinion and you shoud choose based on where you will work.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:15 AM

12 posts, read 61,913 times
We're getting ready to move to Vegas too and I wanted the same advice.

We were originally looking in N. Las Vegas but was told it wasn't as nice at Henderson or Summerlin...

My husband will be driving to and from Nellis so I'm wondering how long it will take from Summerlin. Anyone know the distance?

Also, what's a really good school in Summerlin?

I don't have much time to sort through things. We will be there the first week of February so I want to have a master plan. I want to look for a house and a school but want the best for my family...

Old 01-15-2007, 05:20 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
If he's commuting to Nellis, you don't want to be in Summerlin because you'll have to cross the spaghetti bowl where 95 and 15 meet. Living in Henderson/Green Valley, you'd take 95 (or 215 to 95) straight up and then you could hop off on Nellis Blvd and take the local streets. The GV commute would likely be around 30 minutes, the Summerlin commute could be twice that depending on the time of day.

Bob

Old 01-15-2007, 08:49 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
If he's commuting to Nellis, you don't want to be in Summerlin because you'll have to cross the spaghetti bowl where 95 and 15 meet. Living in Henderson/Green Valley, you'd take 95 (or 215 to 95) straight up and then you could hop off on Nellis Blvd and take the local streets. The GV commute would likely be around 30 minutes, the Summerlin commute could be twice that depending on the time of day.

Bob
Sorry Bob you are out of date. You get to Nellis by taking 215 to the north then dropping back south near the base. That is a 20 mile milk run from Summerlin. And no real traffic and no Spaghetti Bowl. From GV you need to come south on 95 with the downtown and strip rush hour traffic.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:18 AM

10 posts, read 25,954 times
I may be moving to the area for a job. Also was told either Summerlin or Henderson. I will be working in Pahrump, and according to mapquest both places are over an hr drive? However, my job perspective tells me that Henderson will take 45 min and Summerlin an hr. Guess it depends on what parts of each suburb you're living at. After readin all the posts, sounds like Summerlin is by far nicer. I looked up gyms there, and they seem nicer also! Any easy way to get to Pahrump from Summerlin that will take less than an hr???? Does anyone know what the traffice situation would be like from Summerlin to Pahrump?

In addition, I am a single, professional female, mid 30s, with no kids, so I am wondering which area would be best for me (Summerlin or Henderson?) as far as meeting people my age and just being social?

Last edited by DermPA100; 11-05-2011 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas