Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 10:41 AM

159 posts, read 179,448 times

Advertisements

We moved to TN from Idaho. TN isn't for me! Haven't been to NV for 8 years. Wanting to move back in a year, but not sure if it be Pahrump or Mesquite. I've lived in Pahrump and it always seemed a bit less hot then Mesquite or Vegas. I like live music and eating out. Seems they are both the same as far as that goes. They both seem to have gotten more businesses from my research.
Any input from anyone? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 10:54 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,661,800 times
If you like live music and eating out, I recommend living much closer to Las Vegas/Henderson. IMO, Mesquite and Pahrump are too small and too far from where there are lots of live music venues and restaurants.

Old 05-22-2023, 11:42 AM

6,659 posts, read 3,283,408 times
There's not a lot of live music or dining in either place, but there's more in Mesquite since there are more hotels/resorts. We've stayed in Mesquite a lot and found the restaurants to be good. I never found Pahrump to be very appealing.

The biggest issue I have with these smaller towns is the lack of medical care and facilities. There are some, but for anything critical you're going to have to go to Las Vegas or St. George, both of which are a long way away in an emergency.

Old 05-27-2023, 04:13 PM

194 posts, read 190,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowgirl View Post
We moved to TN from Idaho. TN isn't for me! Haven't been to NV for 8 years. Wanting to move back in a year, but not sure if it be Pahrump or Mesquite. I've lived in Pahrump and it always seemed a bit less hot then Mesquite or Vegas. I like live music and eating out. Seems they are both the same as far as that goes. They both seem to have gotten more businesses from my research.
Any input from anyone? Thanks

What part of TN did you move to? How come you are not liking TN, is it the weather, people, etc?

Old 05-30-2023, 02:46 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,020,940 times
I personally couldn't live in either place (Pahrump or Mesquite) because they're way too isolated and right-wing, but if someone were to twist my arm, as the ol' saying goes, I'd pick Mesquite.

Mesquite feels cleaner and more orderly, there's an actual city government in Mesquite and they use Clark County services. Additionally, you've got an interstate running through town that can take you to Vegas or St. George for all of your needs and you've got the Mesquite Police Dept, with oversight from Clark County, patrolling the city. Mesquite is also prettier, in my opinion, and you've got access to such scenic spaces as the Virgin River, Gold Butte, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon. Mesquite has the look of a planned community and is, for the most part, very clean.

Pahrump feels more disorganized and there is an element of seediness out there that I personally find uncomfortable. Legalized prostitution, squatters in RVs, weird and unregulated "businesses", tons of drugs, self-styled "militia" members and a refusal to incorporate into a functional city. And then, let's talk about corruption: that disgraced Las Vegas city councilwoman was given a county judge position due to her right-wing politics and not because she has any judicial experience. Pahrump is literally "the Wild West" and is extremely proud of this ethos.

Last edited by apple92680; 05-30-2023 at 02:55 PM..

Old 06-05-2023, 05:30 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,455,873 times
^^^ refusal to incorporate? if you were here, or read any of my previous posts on this subject, you would realize it doesn't make fiscal sense for us to do it. if/when our county generates the kind of $$$ that clark county does, THEN it would make sense for us to incorporate

no one here wanted the disgraced LV councilwoman except the silly commissioners

Old 06-08-2023, 05:11 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,333,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
I personally couldn't live in either place (Pahrump or Mesquite) because they're way too isolated and right-wing, but if someone were to twist my arm, as the ol' saying goes, I'd pick Mesquite.

Mesquite feels cleaner and more orderly, there's an actual city government in Mesquite and they use Clark County services. Additionally, you've got an interstate running through town that can take you to Vegas or St. George for all of your needs and you've got the Mesquite Police Dept, with oversight from Clark County, patrolling the city. Mesquite is also prettier, in my opinion, and you've got access to such scenic spaces as the Virgin River, Gold Butte, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon. Mesquite has the look of a planned community and is, for the most part, very clean.

Pahrump feels more disorganized and there is an element of seediness out there that I personally find uncomfortable. Legalized prostitution, squatters in RVs, weird and unregulated "businesses", tons of drugs, self-styled "militia" members and a refusal to incorporate into a functional city. And then, let's talk about corruption: that disgraced Las Vegas city councilwoman was given a county judge position due to her right-wing politics and not because she has any judicial experience. Pahrump is literally "the Wild West" and is extremely proud of this ethos.
Agree, but I wouldn't pay that much attention on the political part. There are there but they won't bother you.

Mesquite is better IMO also.

Old 06-08-2023, 10:06 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,995,140 times
One thing to keep in mind, Pahrump has a higher elevation 2,697′ compared to Mesquite 1,601′. So Pahrump definitely has "cooler" weather in the summer and colder in the winter.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:29 AM

6,659 posts, read 3,283,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
One thing to keep in mind, Pahrump has a higher elevation 2,697′ compared to Mesquite 1,601′. So Pahrump definitely has "cooler" weather in the summer and colder in the winter.
I'm not so sure about that. Mesquite is roughly 100 miles north of Pahrump, which is close to Death Valley. The difference in location would make up for any difference in elevation. The weather is either place is not much different than the other.

2023 Compare Climate & Weather:
Pahrump, NV vs Mesquite, NV

Last edited by Yac; 10-05-2023 at 05:25 AM..

Old 06-12-2023, 01:03 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,995,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Mesquite is roughly 100 miles north of Pahrump, which is close to Death Valley. The difference in location would make up for any difference in elevation. The weather is either place is not much different than the other.

2023 Compare Climate & Weather:
Pahrump, NV vs Mesquite, NV

Here in the West as you know it's more about elevation than distance. Back East, the higher latitude you are at the cooler it is as there are no huge elevation changes (other than mountain areas, Appalation etc). It's why I can go 39 miles from my house to a friends cabin at Mt. Charleston and drop 20 plus degrees.

Last edited by Yac; 10-05-2023 at 05:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas