Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoDevil View Post
For the record. Who cares what Hunter S. Thompson thinks... or thought.
Or didn't think or thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 07:46 AM

769 posts, read 2,231,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS1 View Post
As a moderate Christian, I think God has more important things to worry about then whether or not you live adjacent to <gasp> Las Vegas! This should be obvious to you, but not everyone that visits or works in Vegas is evil or destined for eternal damnation. I think you know that trying to be a humane, compassionate, and good person is most important. Think about that during your next poker hand....
You'd be surprised how many Christians I have met are scared of Vegas w/o even visiting here once. The tourism industry did a great job of promoting Vegas as Sodom and Gomorrah. When I told Christian people I was considering moving to Las Vegas they gasped, "Why would you want to move to such a place?" But they've never been here. Heck, most of them hardly ever leave their cozy, suburban neighborhoods. For the most part they fear loud, outgoing cities. Places that are libertarian are considered pagan.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:19 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Boogie Woogie View Post
Hola!

To the OP, I am probably one of those that you kicked in the ass with your steel toed boot. I lived in Las Vegas for about 20 months and did not like it at all.

Vegas is a very libertarian place. The laws on gambling, liquor, and prostitution is unheard of in any of the 49 states. Most places in the United States do not have 24 hour liquor laws or 24 hour bars, not even New York City, L.A., San Fran or anywhere else. It is the "fun" island in the middle of the desert. It is very easy to get addicted to the 24/7 type of lifestyle.

Some people like Vegas, some people do not. A famous person from somewhere else who came to Vegas and hurridly left was John Wayne Gacy, the worst serial killer in American history. The famous writer, the late Hunter S. Thompson had a low opinion of Vegas. I did not like it. It's a matter of opinion.

Senor
i don't think you have an accurate view of HS Thompson's opinion of las vegas. i am curious as to why you think he has a low opinion of it?

for a man who loved drink, drugs, and spectacle..vegas was up his alley. lotsa personal freedoms in this town.

undoubtedly, he loved his solitude...but he also loved to go 24/7...few places better than vegas to do that.

i could be wrong as i never met the man....but from his writings (yes i have read more than just F&LiLV) and hearing/reading others talk about his life and persona i got an entirely different feel.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:26 PM
MS1

135 posts, read 357,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
You'd be surprised how many Christians I have met are scared of Vegas w/o even visiting here once. The tourism industry did a great job of promoting Vegas as Sodom and Gomorrah. When I told Christian people I was considering moving to Las Vegas they gasped, "Why would you want to move to such a place?" But they've never been here. Heck, most of them hardly ever leave their cozy, suburban neighborhoods. For the most part they fear loud, outgoing cities. Places that are libertarian are considered pagan.
Yeah, it just goes to show you, NOT be stereotypical or judgmental is usually a good idea.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:33 PM
MS1

135 posts, read 357,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
i don't think you have an accurate view of HS Thompson's opinion of las vegas. i am curious as to why you think he has a low opinion of it?

for a man who loved drink, drugs, and spectacle..vegas was up his alley. lotsa personal freedoms in this town.

undoubtedly, he loved his solitude...but he also loved to go 24/7...few places better than vegas to do that.

i could be wrong as i never met the man....but from his writings (yes i have read more than just F&LiLV) and hearing/reading others talk about his life and persona i got an entirely different feel.
I agree with you guinnessjim. My perceptions of just Fear and Loathing in general are that Thompson was dealing with personal issues and struggles overall. The various individuals he encountered from all walks of life in and around Vegas were unique social characters that helped shape--and were shaped by--Thompson's experiences and impressions.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,887 times
Default Great Town!

My husband and I will be moving back to Las Vegas this September and we are both thrilled. We lived in Vegas from 1989-2004 and returned to Houston, TX in order to work on a research grant here at the University of Texas. I cannot wait to get back to Las Vegas. It is a great city with loads of things to see and do (even for old people getting ready to retire)!!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:59 AM

171 posts, read 765,029 times
Nevada is a special place. It is unique in the nation, and the world. If you don't like it, there's the door, have a nice trip.

People come here thinking they can change it to make it "Better, like (insert state/country name)". Then they realize that somethings are not going to change, like alcohol laws, gambling, legal prostitution, lack of gun laws etc. It all comes with living in a free environment, and many people cannot handle it for some reason.

Like I said, there's the door, have a nice trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas