Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 AM

278 posts, read 1,083,786 times

Advertisements

Ok, moving to Las Vegas was not my top choice in life. I know it's going to be hot (lived in PHX for 4 years) but I do like it's proximity for taking vaacations. I actually really like it where I am in OH. But lack of good paying jobs in the advertising industry in this area has forced this move upon my family. My husband took a great job with great pay and benefits in Las Vegas, so he's been out there since the end of October. We have our home here on the market during a very slow time of year for homes to move. Do to that fact that we cannot afford two mortgages because of the insane prices for homes in LV (compared to prices here) me and our 2 sons are staying here till the sale.
I think we have it narrowed down to a few areas Green Valley or Summerlin, my husband is leaning to GV because he has made some friends in that area, and I admit the area is beautiful. But my biggest concern is the schools. We have a great school back here now and I do not my children's education compromised in any way. It makes me nervous when I look at the school accountibility reports and see that elementary children are bringing weapons to school-the reports do not state what kind-and I can only hope that nothing serious had come out of those situations.
Some of the schools seem to test well and do offer many of the programs I would want my children to be involved in.
Any opinions on some of the elementary schools here and some good neighborhoods to consider.
I've also considered being a substitute teacher when I get out there so I can have more time with my kids. anyone have any opinions on that as a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 11:27 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times
Stick with Green Valley or Summerlin, those are the two best areas. Schools are iffy, the city is known for bad schools. You really have to research (use greatschools.net) and look at each school for demographics, if they are passing, etc. There are some decent schools sprinkled in those areas, just do your homework before you move to an area.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:42 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,683,662 times
actually, I used to go to school in GV and nobody even wanted to learn or do anything, now I go to an "inner-city" school and the kids are more interested in their studies. Green Valley may seem beautiful but there are many nights when its hard to sleep with all the sirens going off. I say stick with Summerlin or any other area.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:35 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,007,143 times
I just posted something similar to this on another thread...I am just going to copy and paste for your viewing:

The Las Vegas area is not the cheapest place in the world. Las Vegas and Henderson are ALWAYS growing and building. If you have kids, do try to stay in Boulder City, or at minimum, Henderson. Most of the Las Vegas school district has some sort of problem or another. Some gangs and weapons etc, but overall from what I read and hear they have a big school budget problem. Overall, Henderson and Boulder City have less crime as well.
I live in Bullhead City AZ/ Laughlin, NV, which is about 90 miles south/southeast of Vegas. I have been here almost 19 years, therefore I hear a lot from people that move down here from Vegas. Vegas is really becoming overpopulated and out of control!

Old 01-11-2007, 11:44 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,186 times
Kawg how many people does Clark County have?

Old 01-11-2007, 04:40 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Just about 1.8 million in Clark County.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:18 PM

40 posts, read 219,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOHR View Post
Ok, moving to Las Vegas was not my top choice in life. I know it's going to be hot (lived in PHX for 4 years) but I do like it's proximity for taking vaacations. I actually really like it where I am in OH. But lack of good paying jobs in the advertising industry in this area has forced this move upon my family. My husband took a great job with great pay and benefits in Las Vegas, so he's been out there since the end of October. We have our home here on the market during a very slow time of year for homes to move. Do to that fact that we cannot afford two mortgages because of the insane prices for homes in LV (compared to prices here) me and our 2 sons are staying here till the sale.
I think we have it narrowed down to a few areas Green Valley or Summerlin, my husband is leaning to GV because he has made some friends in that area, and I admit the area is beautiful. But my biggest concern is the schools. We have a great school back here now and I do not my children's education compromised in any way. It makes me nervous when I look at the school accountibility reports and see that elementary children are bringing weapons to school-the reports do not state what kind-and I can only hope that nothing serious had come out of those situations.
Some of the schools seem to test well and do offer many of the programs I would want my children to be involved in.
Any opinions on some of the elementary schools here and some good neighborhoods to consider.
I've also considered being a substitute teacher when I get out there so I can have more time with my kids. anyone have any opinions on that as a job.

I can't say much good about the schools...... both my kids went down hill after moving here and right back up after leaving, back to Co.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:33 PM

58 posts, read 312,183 times
I teach in Henderson. You can pm me if you would like specific information on schools....my choice for elementary schools in no particular order are:

Lamping
Wolff
Twitchell
Vandenburg
Glen Taylor

Old 01-14-2007, 12:19 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,683,662 times
I went to Lamping, had a terrible time there. It is Vanderburg not Vandenburg. When I went to Miller, the principal at Vanderburg and Twitchell yelled at me when I was walking home and called the police because they thought I went to ES and was ditching.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:26 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
If you are moving to Clark County, use this tool to determine your home schools of your residence: http://ccsd.net/schools/zoning.phtml

After using it, then check your zoned schools on Greatschools. If you like what you see, visit the campuses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas