Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 17,643 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in North Las Vegas, so I have been doing alot of reading on this forum. We have 3 young children so schools are a concern. Actually I was planning to try homeschooling but would like to live somewhere that the schools are good, just in case it doesn't work out well for us. Anyway, I thought Enterprise looked like a safe place and has a couple of higher rated schools. But it seems like it is really not quite a town, just a part of Vegas. Can you live in Enterprise and avoid the negative parts of Vegas that you might want to shield young children from? Or is it too small that you would be going into the main part of Vegas all the time for shopping, errands, etc? I have never been there, just thinking about some of the negative things I have read here about Vegas. (Of course I also read the many posts coming to the defense of the city!) I have no idea what it is like and can't see for myself for a while....
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 10:54 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,583 times
You should ignore the things that Vegas bashers write in this forum. The truth is that most any neighborhood out here is typical of any other southwestern suburban community. There are parts surrounding the Las Vegas strip that you would not want to be around after the sun goes down, but I can't imagine that you would be taking your children anywhere near there anyway.

Enterprise itself is just another suburban area of Las Vegas as is Summerlin, Centennial Hills, Spring Valley, etc. although it may technically be unincorporated Clark County. It will offer what any other suburban community will offer.

For the record, I have an 8 year old son and we take him to the Strip once every couple of months to see things like Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay or to check out the cars at Penske Wynn Ferrari. It can be quite family friendly. The negatives mentioned in many of the posts you alluded to are imagined by people that, while living here, already have preconceived notions about the valley and likely had them before they moved here. I can guarantee you that the posters that claim that Vegas is immoral due to the high rate of prostitution or drug abuse or gang violence have never witnessed anything of this nature first hand as it does not happen on a large scale here. Of course it happens, as it does anywhere, but is usually confined to certain parts of town, as it is anywhere. The northern part of Vegas (not the city of North Las Vegas), a small area of the northeastern part of the valley, a few areas to the north of UNLV, and the center of Las Vegas Blvd between the strip and downtown (although the neighborhoods themselves are to the east and west of the boulevard) are the areas to be avoided, although I have seen much worse in San Diego and Seattle.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:03 PM

77 posts, read 340,720 times
I live in the Enterprise area and really like it. Enterprise is really just a place on a map and not a town. If you check out a map I live near the intersection of Windmill & Bermuda. We are pleased with the elementary schools which are Louis Wiener(K-2) & Charlotte Hill (3-5). This area kind of gives you the best of a lot of Vegas. We are a few minutes away from the day-to-day shopping of Silverado Ranch and less than 5 minutes from I-15 (and 10 minutes from the south Strip at Mandalay Bay). Depending on where your husband works in N. LV, my neighborhood is 15-30 minutes away depending on traffic. The only downside to this area is that the area right around Las vegas Blvd & Windmill by the 15 freeway is a little seedy. There are a few extended stay hotels and I get panhandled a lot at the gas stations on the corner. At the same time, I am aware of that situation & can avoid the area if I choose. The upside is that the "seediness" stays along Las Vegas Blvd. & I have never seen it travel even a mile eastward. I'm gonna get in trouble for saying this, but stay away from North Las Vegas if you can. Folks will try to talk you into a few master-planned communities up there, but don't fall for it. Try to stay in the south/southesast or far northwest.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:47 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug17 View Post
I live in the Enterprise area and really like it. Enterprise is really just a place on a map and not a town. If you check out a map I live near the intersection of Windmill & Bermuda. We are pleased with the elementary schools which are Louis Wiener(K-2) & Charlotte Hill (3-5). This area kind of gives you the best of a lot of Vegas. We are a few minutes away from the day-to-day shopping of Silverado Ranch and less than 5 minutes from I-15 (and 10 minutes from the south Strip at Mandalay Bay). Depending on where your husband works in N. LV, my neighborhood is 15-30 minutes away depending on traffic. The only downside to this area is that the area right around Las vegas Blvd & Windmill by the 15 freeway is a little seedy. There are a few extended stay hotels and I get panhandled a lot at the gas stations on the corner. At the same time, I am aware of that situation & can avoid the area if I choose. The upside is that the "seediness" stays along Las Vegas Blvd. & I have never seen it travel even a mile eastward. I'm gonna get in trouble for saying this, but stay away from North Las Vegas if you can. Folks will try to talk you into a few master-planned communities up there, but don't fall for it. Try to stay in the south/southesast or far northwest.
Doug, the part of NLV to stay away from is the old part, near Lake Mead/MLK and along I-15 around Lamb and the general area. Quit telling people all of NLV is terrible, it isn't. Come out and visit sometime and see it for yourself. Don't just go on speculation.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:38 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times
yeh, i work at lvbs and windmill and i think the homeless stay to the vacant lots around there, but over the last month or so, they have cracked down on the homeless, in that area, especially since the police has been hanging out at that Starbucks, and the CVS is 24 hours which is nice...i live 1-2 miles south at pebble, and its a lot better...the area is very convenient to a lot, especially with all the shopping on LVBS and the shopping on Silverado Ranch and Blue Diamond...You can pretty much be anywhere in the city in 10-15 min in this area due to the proximity of i-15...they keep on building a lot, there are 3 dunkin donuts within 2 miles of my house...i don't think the extended stays are the problem, but the abandoned lots and houses in the rural area off of Giles is the problem in my opinion...oh and i think they hang out at the library too...

Also, it is not as seedy as say Sierra Vista and Cambridge or B and Lake Mead...

Old 06-16-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Doug, the part of NLV to stay away from is the old part, near Lake Mead/MLK and along I-15 around Lamb and the general area. Quit telling people all of NLV is terrible, it isn't. Come out and visit sometime and see it for yourself. Don't just go on speculation.
I knew I would rev up the Alliente faithful. Honestly, are you really going to bat for folks to send their kids to Mojave, Canyon Springs, or Cheyenne? Really? Even Arbor View would be a tough stretch for me today, and don't even think about sending your kids there 10 years from now. I actually know NLV well and you wouldn't catch me buying a house there or recommending that anyone move there if they have options.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:20 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,583 times
Quote:
I knew I would rev up the Alliente faithful. Honestly, are you really going to bat for folks to send their kids to Mojave, Canyon Springs, or Cheyenne? Really? Even Arbor View would be a tough stretch for me today, and don't even think about sending your kids there 10 years from now. I actually know NLV well and you wouldn't catch me buying a house there or recommending that anyone move there if they have options.
You mind explaining your reasoning on this one? The reason I ask is because I live around the corner from Arbor View, and any comparison between Cheyenne and AV is pretty far fetched IMO considering the disparity in the demographic of the surrounding population, not to mention that Arbor View is not even in N. Las Vegas. I'm not trying to attack your position or anything. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just don't understand your train of thought on Centennial Hills.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:32 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Well you did real bad on that test Doug. Arbor View is somewhat lower rated than Shadow Ridge. Arbor View however is primarily in the City of Las Vegas and Shadow is a big part North Las Vegas. Legacy started out as a disappointment but it only has one year in the barrel. May well end up there with Spring Valley or Silverado...we shall see. There are parts of Alliante zoned for Mojave...and that is too bad. Stay north of 215.

If you want to sort out the schools see the CCSD zoning maps and the ratings at...

Las Vegas School Rankings

Old 06-16-2008, 04:49 PM

818 posts, read 3,697,642 times
I still contend that any kid with a decent intellect and parents who care about education can excel at any CCSD high school. Just because test scores are weighed down by other kids, it doesn't necessarily reflect upon the quality of the school.

Quote:
Honestly, are you really going to bat for folks to send their kids to Mojave, Canyon Springs, or Cheyenne? Really? Even Arbor View would be a tough stretch for me today, and don't even think about sending your kids there 10 years from now.
Quotes like this one smack of arrogance. Sending one's child to a school with lower test scores mean little or nothing in term of the quality of their parenting. That type of judgement should be reserved for those who have actual relevant information. Hopefully, your children don't inherit the same superiority complex, as it is quite offputting.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 PM

Remember that my reply was to a person who is pondering home schooling her kids and is concerned about CCSD schools. Of course kids who care from families that care can succeed anywhere and the schools I mentioned are no exception. But, for the most part, I would steer clear of the schools I mentioned. Folks that are new to town will get drawn to areas where they can get more for their money in NLV and they should know a bit more than meets the eye. Is it any wonder that Canyon Springs is a few years old and is already a magnet school? And while I am at it, I am not going to waste my time looking for stats on-line regarding good and bad schools. I taught in CCSD for many years, send my kids to CCSD schools, and I know a good school when I see one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas