Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Las Vegas.......Remember......the answer to every question is "But it's a DRY heat"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 04:02 PM

8 posts, read 22,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Welcome to Las Vegas.......Remember......the answer to every question is "But it's a DRY heat"
lol i just moved here and that's so true hahahha. "it's hot, but its a drrrrryyy heat."

Old 08-04-2009, 03:23 PM

21 posts, read 47,312 times
Thumbs up One Year Update!

Hello Again! It's been a long time since I posted, but I wanted to give everyone who was so helpful to me an update on my 1st year living here in Vegas. Thanks again for answering all of my questions...I am teaching at a middle school which, I was surprised that I actually enjoy teaching at more than I did in NJ. I did take a significant pay cut to move here, but there have been some extra duties I have taken on at work to help.

Overall, I don't think the cost of living here is really much less than NJ, the gas is way more here, as well as, food/groceries. The people here are really hit or miss, I did make 1 friend from work, but so far my social life is still very limited.(But that's my fault as I am super cautious because I am a single female) I also did get homesick, so I've been home to NJ to visit 3 times already! Yes, I know that is a bit extreme, I will be taking a break from going home for awhile, especially because it was so humid the last time I went that I complained the whole time...lol.

...I love, love, love the mountains! I also enjoy the weather, although the snow day last December was a bit of irony that I really didn't appreciate. I love being so close to Los Angeles that I can visit whenever I want. I love being able to hike, see a show, or do whatever I feel like doing. Overall, I enjoy living here even though as a Jersey girl it took some major adjusting, but I can't see myself moving back home anytime soon.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:19 PM

418 posts, read 1,349,086 times
About the gas prices .. no one is cheaper than NJ

L/V gas prices are in line with PA
In general it looks like the utilities are a little less.

Try the libraries to hook up with some like minded people.
They have quite a diverse mix of events.
Henderson has some great events.
My husband has taken up yoga since he arrived, he met the teacher at a library event.
Saturday he is on a bus tour with the rec dept as it is now too hot to hike when it is not dark.

Google some of your interest .. you are sure to find some clubs and groups.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 PM

91 posts, read 260,770 times
Default Best route from Nj to Las Vegas

Hi there the Best route from Nj to las vegas would be 95 south into 80 west nice smooth driving this is the route i took back in October

Old 08-05-2009, 01:48 PM

34 posts, read 284,038 times
Hey SciFiFan, my fiance and I are thinking of moving out to Vegas in November from New York. She has a teaching (Elementary Education)degree and will be looking for a job when we get out there (there are none out here). I was just wondering if you could share some of your experiences with working out there, if you had any tips for her, and if you know if they are still looking for people. Also what were the hardest things to get used to out there compared to the east coast? The best things? The crime? Thanks.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:56 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
i know you were asking scififan but if i could i will put in my 2 cents.. been here 3wks... actually love the heat compared to cleveland.. was worried at first, everyday the first week it rained...really cool storms though... the cost of food is less... insurance and car registration is higher... the hardest thing to get used to in my opinion is the drivers... nobody knows what a 4 way stop is... when you are on the freeway and want to switch lanes, putting the blinker on is a mistake, they just speed up and dont let you in... the amount of police on the 215 is high, and i believe they ticket at 5 over... so drive carefully... 2 years ago i thought the people in the stores were awesome nice and kind, now i feel opposite, maybe because of the economy and everybody losing their homes....even the new target at 215 and decatur has terrible management in my opinion and they have only been open 8 days... on the other hand, the lowes at craig and jones has the nicest people ive met here in vegas...

Old 08-05-2009, 02:00 PM

366 posts, read 1,212,744 times
Did the same drive in 2001 in 30 hours!

Old 08-06-2009, 04:46 PM

21 posts, read 47,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldome View Post
Hey SciFiFan, my fiance and I are thinking of moving out to Vegas in November from New York. She has a teaching (Elementary Education)degree and will be looking for a job when we get out there (there are none out here). I was just wondering if you could share some of your experiences with working out there, if you had any tips for her, and if you know if they are still looking for people. Also what were the hardest things to get used to out there compared to the east coast? The best things? The crime? Thanks.
I understand, I have a friend from Staten Island who commutes over to Jersey because she couldn't find anthing in N.Y. Before I came down I made sure to complete the application, interview, and apply for NV certification; I wanted to be sure I would have a job before I came.

I started my initial application in January of 08,' in the meantime I sent in all of the paperwork required. I interviewed with a recruiter in February, then didn't hear anything back from them until April when I received a letter saying I was accepted into the hiring pool. I didn't hear anything again until July when I was contacted by a principal, interviewed and hired. The whole process took about 6 to 7 months and there was alot of waiting. CCSD has a great website where she can get more info.

Overall, I enjoy teaching here because the facilities are new and more modern , even my school is considered old for Vegas, but is still better than any buildings I taught in in Jersey. The students here are easier to handle (in my opinion) because they do not mouth off as much as back home. However, there are things that I don't enjoy and had to get used to such as, the class sizes, this year I had 160 students compared to Jersey where I had 125. Also the students here (in my opinion) are super lazy. They won't do homework even when you contact parents and some will sit in the class and flat out tell you they're not going to work. That was the toughest of all for me to get used to, I'm still not used to it actually, but you have to choose your battles. Your fiance may have an easier time with that in elementary, as I am in middle school.

The hardest thing for me to adjust to were the huge bugs they have out here. Waterbugs or cockroaches, when I first saw them I wanted to turn around and go home...lol. I hate them and they come out every summer. Winter isn't too bad. The driving is another thing, I feel like the worst drivers are here. They either drive too slow or too fast seems like there's no in between. Also if you rent, be prepared to pay all of your utilities ,as well as, sewage. That's usually something we don't have to worry about on the East Coast. The things I like I mentioned in one of my previous posts. But #1 on my list is the weather.

The crime is like any other Metro area (in my opinion). Back in Jersey about 2 to 3 weeks ago there was a shoot out which ended in 3 deaths, including 1 police officer, so I can't really said I think the crime in LV is crazy out of control. I haven't had any problems or know anyone who has. You can check out the LVMPD website, they have a map that shows crime in all the areas, it was very helpful to me when I was moving.

Overall I enjoy living here, it's hard moving from the East Coast as we tend to think it's the center of the universe but it will be what you make it. Just be prepared!! Make sure you have work and a place to live, everything else will fall into place. Hope this helps!

Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 PM

139 posts, read 458,500 times
Best route from Jersey is to drive east to Montauk light house. Then keep driving east.
j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas