Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:18 PM

413 posts, read 1,402,443 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm planning a vacation to Vegas at the end of July. I'm also training for a marathon that I will be running in November and I don't want to skip a week worth of training, or it's going to be too hard to get back on track when I get back to Texas. Are they any local trails I can do? I know the weather is way different than here, but I plan on running early morning or later in the evening when it's cooler. Thanks for the info in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 08:34 PM

278 posts, read 1,082,356 times
You could get up really early, like 4am one morning, drive to Red Rock Canyon and run through there. Beautiful scenery!! It gets really hot here in July, even in the morning, so the earlier you go the more miles you will get in.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:47 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,904,885 times
Summerlin has lots of nice trails. It's closer than Red Rock, but still pretty far.

Honestly, if you don't want to drive a long way, your best bet would be to hit up the treadmill in the hotel's exercise room.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:50 PM

15 posts, read 117,550 times
you could always reschedule your vacation for December and run the Las Vegas marathon

Old 06-14-2008, 10:38 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,774,170 times
If you do your runs in the Texas heat that will help you run here in Vegas. As others have said during the month of July it can still be quite hot well into the night. Run with some water to play it safe.

Enjoy your vacation!

Old 06-14-2008, 10:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,127,294 times
Default Aw Comeon..

Right after dawn the temperature average is around 75. On a bad day it may get to 85. If you can't run in a relatively dry 85 you can't run in TX. So hit the road around 6 and you can do an hour or more before it hits 90.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:16 PM
MS1

135 posts, read 357,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Right after dawn the temperature average is around 75. On a bad day it may get to 85. If you can't run in a relatively dry 85 you can't run in TX. So hit the road around 6 and you can do an hour or more before it hits 90.
Avoiding the drunk/tipsy people on the Strip while running is kind of like Las Vegas' version of the Olympics....

Old 06-14-2008, 11:47 PM

638 posts, read 2,238,688 times
I am a marathon runner here. If you are staying on the strip, then the best bet is to run south toward Mandalay bay. You can keep going south on Las Vegas BLVD for miles. It is a pretty pleasant run with a slight grade increasing toward the south.

The air will seem very thin compared to what you are used to and you might get choked up with dust. You will not need to run with water, but keep your mouth closed. I usually do not start coughing until I am finished with my run. If you run early in the morning you will have an easier time. It gets pretty hot, but you will find the air a lot easier to run through here than in Texas. I bet your time will be up. If you are staying in a hotel, they do offer treadmills, but if you are training for a marathon, you are probably off the treadmill.

If you are staying in Henderson, try the bike path just south of Windmill on Green Valley PKWY. You can run that east or west for several miles. I prefer the western route as it is a little more level.

If you tell me where you are staying, I can turn you on to some great routes.

Last edited by MR77; 06-14-2008 at 11:56 PM..

Old 06-15-2008, 12:02 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,904,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
My concern wouldn't be the temperatures - my concern would be the drive and all the gas it would cost.

There really aren't many actual trails that are close to the strip.
Maybe a few small ones? I don't know.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:14 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,127,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
My concern wouldn't be the temperatures - my concern would be the drive and all the gas it would cost.

There really aren't many actual trails that are close to the strip.
Maybe a few small ones? I don't know.
Got a client who is a senior distance runner. She runs on the Blvd and Trop and DI and knows a whole lot of the town because she has run it. Hits the road at dawn. Runs five or six from wherever she is staying. Runs the July 4th 5K at Bunker Park in the NW. Won it last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas