Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 04:37 PM

12 posts, read 61,744 times

Advertisements

So, I've been busy looking for homes. I'm debating whether or not to buy a home with a pool.

How much does it cost to maintain a pool on average? What about hiring someone to clean it and add the chemicals.

Just trying to figure out if the extra money is worth it.

Any advice on this???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 05:09 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,266,597 times
I built pools in Vegas in 1997, and at the time, the cost for chemicals was around $25-30/month. Having a pool service clean and maintain was usually around $50-75/month, and you supplied the chemicals.

Water (due to evaporation) will run you $10-15/month, and electricity may go up $20-30/month. If you get a spa with a gas heater, you could see anywhere from $30-300/month in gas charges, depending on how often you heat the spa (or keep it heated).

Bob

Old 01-14-2007, 06:56 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,647,977 times
Or you could buy a home with a community pool and just pay HOA dues and not have to take care of the pool.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:54 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,052,916 times
The going rate in Vegas is $100 per month with chemicals supplied.

We do our own and our actual is around $250 per year for chemicals etc. Our pool however has an electric cover and uses very little chemical and has almost no evaporation loss. The offset is we buy a new cover every fifth year at a cost of around $2000. The cover is also a safety cover meaning that we need not erect a fence to bar pool access. The cover can be walked on...and is by our animals.

In general putting in a pool is a financial loser. You get back around 50 cents on the dollar when you sell. Expensive pools are worse than that.

Buying a home with a pool is fine. The prior owner already paid the price.

Solar is nice and extends the season a couple of months. Can also heat a jacuzzi without much gas...at least in the summer.

Best rig for a jacuzzi is one connected to the pool with a big heater. Then you heat it only when it is to be used. Generally they can get to temperature in less than a half hour.

I personally would not want to live in Vegas without ready access to a pool in the summertime.

Old 01-14-2007, 09:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,904,573 times
I agree with Olecapt. $100 per mo is what I was quoted too. I've been trying to find out if there is a school or something you can attend to learn how to do it yourself!

There is this one great house for sale in Vegas. Well, the pool is wonderama and the house needs to be remodeled. Unfortunately, the house is about 100K overpriced because of that pool. It's always true you don't get all your money back on a pool but in Vegas, you would get to use it!

Old 01-14-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I agree with Olecapt. $100 per mo is what I was quoted too. I've been trying to find out if there is a school or something you can attend to learn how to do it yourself!

There is this one great house for sale in Vegas. Well, the pool is wonderama and the house needs to be remodeled. Unfortunately, the house is about 100K overpriced because of that pool. It's always true you don't get all your money back on a pool but in Vegas, you would get to use it!
Make them an offer. A reasonable offer. If they reject it wait a month and make it again. Make sure your offer is actually getting to the seller. You have a right to a signed rejection...though the seller also has the right to refuse...but then his agent needs to certify that. Your second offer might point out...in dollars...how much they have lost by carrying the place another month. If you are skeptical as to whether the offer is actually made look up the owner and send it direct. Your agent can't do that...but you can..

Old 01-14-2007, 10:33 PM

12 posts, read 61,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Our pool however has an electric cover and uses very little chemical and has almost no evaporation loss. The offset is we buy a new cover every fifth year at a cost of around $2000. The cover is also a safety cover meaning that we need not erect a fence to bar pool access. The cover can be walked on...and is by our animals.

Oh, we definitely would not put in a pool ourselves. That's a total waste of money. We would love to have a house with one already in. We have a 9 month old so I was very skeptical and hesitant because of safety issues. The cover sounds like a great idea. I was thinking about a fence but that might not be as safe as I'd like it to be. Tell me where you got the cover and how much it cost to install. I'm very interested...

Old 01-15-2007, 06:15 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmorgan20 View Post
Tell me where you got the cover and how much it cost to install. I'm very interested...
Typically an electric cover has to be installed when the pool is built- there's a trough that's constructedfor the cover to roll up into, and tracks for it to ride along beneath the deck surface. I suppose you could have one retrofitted, but it would be an expensive proposition.

Bob

Old 01-15-2007, 09:57 AM

As Bob notes they are generally a new pool installation though I suspect you could retrofit to most rectangular pools. Cost is around $5,000 for a new pool installation.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:04 PM

15 posts, read 23,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Make them an offer. A reasonable offer. If they reject it wait a month and make it again. Make sure your offer is actually getting to the seller. You have a right to a signed rejection...though the seller also has the right to refuse...but then his agent needs to certify that. Your second offer might point out...in dollars...how much they have lost by carrying the place another month. If you are skeptical as to whether the offer is actually made look up the owner and send it direct. Your agent can't do that...but you can..
Instead of going around the seller's agent, you could also request that your agent present your offer in person to the seller. The seller's agent is required to allow the buyer's agent to do this. Of course the seller's agent will want to be there when this happens, but at least your agent can present it in person and make sure the seller sees the offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas