Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Actually they say if you were to get a sting it would be best to come from those big ones. The little ones apparently have more poison.
Not necessarily true. Large or small, most have weak venom. The only species of scorpion in the USA that is considered medically significant is the Arizona bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda). There are MANY small species of scorpion that are completely harmless (ie Vaejovis spp, Diplocentrus spp, etc).

Quote:
My wife had gone outside and I heard her scream. I jumped up and saw her running first one way then the other on the sidewalk in front of our door. Then I saw it chasing her back and forth.
Scorpions wont chase you. Its just coincidence that it was moving towards your wife. Despite having 8 eyes, scorpions are basically blind, only using their eyes (lateral and medial sets) to determine night and day, with a belief they use stars to navigate too. The scorpion was just trying to get away and happened to go in the same direction as your wife, thats all. There would be absolutely no need for the scorpion to chase your wife to begin with, scorpions are non-confrontational and would rather retreat than fight, especially against something as large as a human.

Quote:
They have a lot of scorpions in Texas, and rattlesnakes eight feet long; lots of them too
Yes, there are several species in TX, but NV has more. The most common scorpion in TX is the striped bark scorpion, Centruroides vittatus, which have a painful sting, but arent considered medically significant by most scorpiologists. And 8' rattlers? No way. Maybe a record specimen!!!! Most average 4-5' at best. Please, dont mislead people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,277,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
I heard the area around Alliante has a bad scorpion problem
I've never seen a scorpion in or near Aliante in the 4 1/2 years over here. And never saw any in The Lakes while living there too.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Not necessarily true. Large or small, most have weak venom. The only species of scorpion in the USA that is considered medically significant is the Arizona bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda). There are MANY small species of scorpion that are completely harmless (ie Vaejovis spp, Diplocentrus spp, etc).

Scorpions wont chase you. Its just coincidence that it was moving towards your wife. Despite having 8 eyes, scorpions are basically blind, only using their eyes (lateral and medial sets) to determine night and day, with a belief they use stars to navigate too. The scorpion was just trying to get away and happened to go in the same direction as your wife, thats all. There would be absolutely no need for the scorpion to chase your wife to begin with, scorpions are non-confrontational and would rather retreat than fight, especially against something as large as a human.

Yes, there are several species in TX, but NV has more. The most common scorpion in TX is the striped bark scorpion, Centruroides vittatus, which have a painful sting, but arent considered medically significant by most scorpiologists. And 8' rattlers? No way. Maybe a record specimen!!!! Most average 4-5' at best. Please, dont mislead people.
Somebody call Harry Potter, there's a Dementor loose in here. Jeez, do you suck the joy out of everything or are you just showing off?

Old 07-09-2008, 01:16 AM

17 posts, read 67,511 times
I can't resist adding that my cousin's friend was bitten by a Brown Recluse in Geneva, IL last week. Definitely qualifies as "Northern Illinois". And I remember reports around oh... maybe 2001? of them being in the Quad Cities, two of which can just about be considered "Northern Illinois." I remember for sure because I have a friend with an oversensitive, really gullible/easily panicked mom who moved their computer and main tv up from the basement just because she was afraid of Brown Recluses. Not that they love basements (I don't know) but she was an odd one.

Just sayin'.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToasterStrudels View Post
I can't resist adding that my cousin's friend was bitten by a Brown Recluse in Geneva, IL last week. Definitely qualifies as "Northern Illinois". And I remember reports around oh... maybe 2001? of them being in the Quad Cities, two of which can just about be considered "Northern Illinois." I remember for sure because I have a friend with an oversensitive, really gullible/easily panicked mom who moved their computer and main tv up from the basement just because she was afraid of Brown Recluses. Not that they love basements (I don't know) but she was an odd one.

Just sayin'.
Just like the thousands of others who claim to be bitten by a "brown recluse", but get laughed out of the ER. There are no brown recluses in Geneva. It seems that every brown spider on earth gets labeled a "brown recluse" by the general, misinformed public. Got a picture of the spider? Probably just a common house spider or a fishing spider.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Somebody call Harry Potter, there's a Dementor loose in here. Jeez, do you suck the joy out of everything or are you just showing off?
Someone call a optometrist, someone needs glasses if they really thought they saw a "small cat-sized" scorpion. Jeez, do you exaggerate everything or just making things up to sound impressive or whatever?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:37 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Just like the thousands of others who claim to be bitten by a "brown recluse", but get laughed out of the ER. There are no brown recluses in Geneva. It seems that every brown spider on earth gets labeled a "brown recluse" by the general, misinformed public. Got a picture of the spider? Probably just a common house spider or a fishing spider.
Actualy in the west it is the standard ER diagnosis for any ulcerative bug bite.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
Quote:
Someone call a optometrist, someone needs glasses if they really thought they saw a "small cat-sized" scorpion. Jeez, do you exaggerate everything or just making things up to sound impressive or whatever?

it's called "The art of story telling" Makes a boring subject more interesting.....

Old 07-09-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Actualy in the west it is the standard ER diagnosis for any ulcerative bug bite.
Very true. Ever watch the show Venom ER on Animal Planet? Dr. Sean Bush got so tired of people coming in with fake "recluse bites" that he went out of his way to do a portion of the show dedicated to the brown recluse. He found a few specimens, showed how to ID them, and showed just how reclusive they are. In that particular episode there were several people who came into the ER proclaiming to have received a recluse bite. One girl was "100% positive" she was bitten by a recluse. You shoulda seen the looks on her face when he offered proof that it wasnt a recluse bite and that recluses dont even occur in her part of CA. Priceless...

Old 07-09-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
it's called "The art of story telling" Makes a boring subject more interesting.....
lol

I call it more like "the art of needlessly scaring the bejeezus out of folks". Trust me, some people will probably believe (and tell their friends, too) that scorpions can get to be the size of small cats. The OP actually believed it, too! Anyways, the stories Ive heard/read regarding scorpions and snakes make me want to roll on the floor and die from laughter. My personal fave was someone in AZ asked if rattlers can jump over her 6' high cinderblock fence. She apparently was told by someone else that they can perform such a feat. No wonder snakes and scorpions and spiders are so feared, all because of dumb wives tales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas