Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:14 PM

110 posts, read 688,457 times

Advertisements

What the weather in Las Vegas feels like depends a lot on where you've been and in what order. LOL!

I grew up in Orange County, lived in the San Francisco area for over 20 years, spent some time in the Pacific Northwest, moved to Florida and now we're living in Vegas. I thought it was hot in Vegas until I went to Florida. I'll take the 100s in Vegas any day - the dryness is awesome - even California feels humid after living in Vegas.

It's all about the sun - the shade is so pleasant, evenings are wonderful, a breeze actually helps - there are many mitigating factors as to how comfortable you will be. But during the summer during the day I am inside all day long. But should I have to go outside, it's not that bad and I make it short - like a trip to the store, etc. And the A/C does not work as hard here as it did in Florida - we don't run it for as many hours per day as we did there. And the hot season doesn't last as long as it does in Florida. We actually have a change in seasons here.

But if you hate the heat and you must have trees, it can get to you. But for an occasional break, go to Mt. Charleston. We did that on the 4th of July and it was a wonderful change - pine trees, in the 80s during the day with a nice breeze, and into the 50s at night - perfect!

We love it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 01:05 AM

17 posts, read 67,417 times
I think everyone who comes to Vegas from California can't stand the heat, whereas those from humid areas of the midwest, east coast, and "old south" states find the lack of humidity amazing. I keep going out onto my patio here, staring at the thermometer that usually reads around 110 these past few days, and saying "it's 110! And I'm outside! And I'm comfortable!!!!!!" In the shade I think it is SO tolerable I almost can't believe it. Infinitely better than an 85 degree, 90% humidity day in Iowa. But if you're from the bay area, you may not like it. Especially if you like rain and cold weather. Rain and cold weather are what annoyed me about Santa Barbara, so I love this heat. My money would be on you not liking it.

That being said, I was prepared for the worst, so I'm ecstatic about not minding the temps. So maybe if you come expecting to hate it you'll be pleasantly surprised too.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:08 AM

17 posts, read 67,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
What the weather in Las Vegas feels like depends a lot on where you've been and in what order. LOL!
Yeah, you hit it on the head exactly. Exactly.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:34 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,587,025 times
You have heard all the biased opinions. Now I will tell you a nuetral one.

It is hot. Very very hot. Hotter then the local news tells you. You can usually add 3-5 degrees over what the Weather man tells you. Proof of that is today for example. Today's official temp was 112. Every single one, bar non digital signs with a temperature on it said 115. The drug stores, Office complexes, anyplace that had a thermometer read 115.

According to the National Weather Service Las Vegas official location is at the airport just like every American city. The official temp is taken 6 feet off the ground and in the shade. I often wondered if this was a scam so as not to scare away potential tourists who think 115 is to hot to come but 112 is just right but that is just my opinion. Crazy one? Who knows.

For those who say how wonderful this blast furnace is, I might suggest you check your posting times you make these claims. If it is so wonderful outside at 3:30 PM then why are you all sitting at your comfy PCs with the AC set for 74?

The truth is you can drive around neighborhoods and never see a soul outside during the heat of day. Kinda like in the dead of winter up north. People wait for that blistering sun to go down before they make a run for errands or gas.

During the real dog days of summer we get what we call radiational heating. The sun heats up the sidewalks and black top roads all day and at night they radiate heat and keep the nightime temps over 100.

Remember: DO NOT walk your dogs during the day and wait several hours after the sun goes down before you take them for a walk. The road surface will burn their pads bad. It's a good idea to check the road heat with the back of your hand first.

But......when summer is over it's payback time. Short sleeves and short pants up until Christmas. Then never more then a sweat shirt till march at which time the shorts come back on. There are some cold nights you will need a light jacket but nothing like the north requires. We even see some snow but mostly the far west Summerlin area and Henderson mostly Anthem area.

I think the official rain totals so far is .81" all year. Pretty amazing considering that is an average daily rain elsewhere on every weekend when you plan a picnic.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:46 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,239,269 times
Who sets their temps at 74?? Probably just the supermarkets. I always freeze in there in the summer. I set my thermostat at 83 and leave it at that all summer. And use fans in every room to help circulate the air. I would freeze to death with it at 74, since downstairs would be winter time.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:08 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,410,461 times
ds41...your opinions are as biased as any one elses! that is why they are called opinions ! and if you'll look at most of the posts, everyone agrees it is HOT...no way around that. but those of us who like it here will gladly take hot over muggy...i know i will any day of the week. it was torture when i lived in MKE if i walked out for lunch...never really could stop sweating. yet i routinely walk out for lunch (there are multiple restaurants w/in ~0.5miles of my work) and often eat it outside if shade is available (i tend to take my lunch between 1-3pm). additionally, because it is so dry here, sweating actually works to cool you...unlike where it is humid and sweating just makes you irritated. (and by you, i mean me)

as for the time of posting...see above. right now it is 90 something...feels awesome. because it was still about 110 (according to my truck thermometer) when i walked the dogs at 8. not a biased opinion...it was HOT (fact). i personally didn't think it was that bad (opinion).

but i agree that the 'official' temp seems to be an underestimate. tell you what...i will check on the official temp tomorrow and compare it w/ the temp sensors maintained by the atmospheric science department (we/they have a weather station at work). as the station is used in peoples research, i would lay odds that it is significantly better maintained and more accurate than any billboard thermometer. i will try to check it a couple of times during the day and will compare it w/ the weather channels temp (both at the airport and at my work's zipcode) to see how they differ. i have to go outside to check it, as it is on the other side of the parking lot, so feel free to note the times i'm actually kinda curious to see this....

again..to the OP: the livability of LV during the summer will be very much based on your personal tastes. i used to hate the heat (as i mentioned previously)...it amazes my friends and family (and myself) that i have come to like/tolerate the heat as much as i do. of course i freeze my a$$ off now when it is in the 60s or if there is any dampness in the air (san fran kills me every time i go there now)....but oh well, i don't live there.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,047,430 times
the OFFICIAL weather station is maintained at the airport because the ambient air temp is used in calculating lift. The other temps are microclimate "estimates" of temperature..... i.e. the one on the top of Binions has alwasy been set high....to entice the sucker to remain inside and tempt lady luck. The ones on banks are maintained once....when they are installed.

And yep...I'll bet ya a $ that Jims are the best maintained in town....right along with the Weather Station at the Airport.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:19 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,410,461 times
current temp at the station: 102.9

weather channel at airport: 98
weather channel at 89119: 100

so far the trend is as expected....will check again in a couple of hours

Old 07-08-2008, 01:52 PM

110 posts, read 688,457 times
LO, about the "unbiased" opinion.

We find that it's more comfortable and cooler than what is predicted on the news - like many areas, it could depend on where you are - a bit of elevation near the hills, etc. A slight breeze helps a lot - so do a few clouds. I love the clouds here and it always feels cooler when the clouds hide some of the sun. And because of the mountains fringing the valley, sun sets about half an hour earlier than it might otherwise, giving some welcome relief.

It's not the heat that gets me - it's the lack water. I love desert landscaping but Scottsdale and other places use fountains and water a lot more than here. In Vegas, that's reserved for the touristy Strip hotels. And unless you're in an upscale community, you won't have a community pool like we did in Florida. And most new houses don't have room to put in a pool. That's the worse part for me - lack of easy water access. Thankfully, the neighbors next door just put in a pool.

It's different for everybody and you just have to weigh what everybody is saying and decide for yourself.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:42 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,703,897 times
It's hot. I'm a newbie to Vegas, as a resident.

My a/c kicks in a few times an hour and I have the temp on 74.

It's hot. The morning are great! Sunny and warm. But by 11am I start getting tired and irritable. Soon after it feels like a bathroom.....hairdryer going in your face.

I purchased that Shower to Shower body deo powder. Plus I got Arrid Xdry deo spray. My back gets wet and the backs of my knees.

The evening is good. There is usually a breeze...but it blows hot air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas