Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,622 times

Advertisements

OUR TENANT BOUNCED A 1,20- CHECK TODAY AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOIW WHAT i HAVE TO DO TO SET THE LAW IN MOTION FOR COLECTION OR EVICTION. hELP, i AM NEW TO THIS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 02:22 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,231 times
Eviction process link.

Posting in all capital letters reflects SHOUTING!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Nevada and Las Vegas is very hard on bad checks...see...

Bad Check Unit Main

You might go past and inform the tenant that you are beginning the process and will both evict them and have the DA go after them to collect the bad check...

Sometimes they will pay up and save you a lot of bother.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:46 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
olecapt gave you the correct site to go after dead beats. Writing a check with out having the funds to cover is a crime in Nevada.

But in my experience they are not very quick. In fact currently I have a case with them whereby I mailed them all the papers they ask for. 3 weeks later they send me the package back with a form letter asking for the missing items that are checked off. The missing items were right there in that envelope. They stuffed them back in the envelope for Gods sakes.

So I remailed it and so far 3 more weeks has passed and still no case number has been assigned.

On a side note: DO NOT ever except a check from anyone in Anthem Country Club. This is the 3rd bad check so far this year from there. 2 more last year. These are very large dollar checks.

When the check fraud unit gets around to mailing the dead beat, the deal is they have 10 business days to couph up the money plus fines or a warrent will be issued. It works well but like any governtment boondoggle it takes time.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:48 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
Bounced check? The quickest way is to file a complaint with the Police Department.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:09 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Bounced check? The quickest way is to file a complaint with the Police Department.
No the police do not deal with bad checks. The posts above is the route for this crime. The DA's office has a special bad check unit just for this crime. This is all they do.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:31 AM

29 posts, read 109,852 times
We own eight rentals in Las Vegas, and bounced checks are not uncommon. As mentioned above, there are legal steps you can take, but the results (if any) can take quite a while.

The first practical step is to contact your tenant, and tell them you will need cash or a money order to replace the check. Add on any late fees and/or bounced check fees as per your lease.

If the tenant asks you to re deposit the check, I would try that. If it clears, you have saved a lot of hassle, but I'd still inform the tenant you will need cash or a money order in the future.

No matter what happens, you should begin the eviction process by posting a five day notice. If you don't want to do it yourself, there is a very reliable company called NMI that will do it for you. I'm a bit pressed for time right now, but they're in the phone book. Excellent service.

The five day notice means you have started the process, and will not be delayed if you have continued difficulty collecting your rent. It also tells the tenant that you are serious.

If the tenant responds to the notice, you may end up in court, but the courts in Las Vegas are very landlord friendly (based on our experiences).

If they do not respond, you will then file a three day pay or quit notice. If you still have not received any rent, you then have the constable lock them out of the house, and have the locks changed.

The entire process goes fairly quickly. In the three times we have had to do this, we have never had tenant remain in the house for more than two weeks.

Hope that is some help.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:58 AM

109 posts, read 532,123 times
Looks like I'll be come a land lord can't sell my house, can't do short sale, don't want to foreclosure on it, I'm stuck!! But on the other side how do you draft a rental contract? what do you ask?, what to be aware about? HOW DO YOU Protect your self??? You have more experience on this can you shed a light on it?
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_James View Post
We own eight rentals in Las Vegas, and bounced checks are not uncommon. As mentioned above, there are legal steps you can take, but the results (if any) can take quite a while.

The first practical step is to contact your tenant, and tell them you will need cash or a money order to replace the check. Add on any late fees and/or bounced check fees as per your lease.

If the tenant asks you to re deposit the check, I would try that. If it clears, you have saved a lot of hassle, but I'd still inform the tenant you will need cash or a money order in the future.

No matter what happens, you should begin the eviction process by posting a five day notice. If you don't want to do it yourself, there is a very reliable company called NMI that will do it for you. I'm a bit pressed for time right now, but they're in the phone book. Excellent service.

The five day notice means you have started the process, and will not be delayed if you have continued difficulty collecting your rent. It also tells the tenant that you are serious.

If the tenant responds to the notice, you may end up in court, but the courts in Las Vegas are very landlord friendly (based on our experiences).

If they do not respond, you will then file a three day pay or quit notice. If you still have not received any rent, you then have the constable lock them out of the house, and have the locks changed.

The entire process goes fairly quickly. In the three times we have had to do this, we have never had tenant remain in the house for more than two weeks.

Hope that is some help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas