Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:13 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times

Advertisements

YOu are exaggerating the risk. You are describing an 8 or bigger earth quake in an area that has not had a 6 in recent history if ever. In the event of such an eartquake those of us still alive must hope that FEMA gets the trailers in quick. Don't worry about outlying cities...such an event will take care of them too.

Rational sized earthquakes will likely do some damage but nothing that shuts the town down.

Now you could go for a meteor strike. But that would like take everyone out so not really a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 10:27 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk View Post
I think you might be overly paranoid about the natural disaster threat to Las Vegas. A more practical question is what will Vegas do if there is a major quake in southern CA? Where will the flood of refugees from CA into Vegas go?
One thing is for sure if there are CA refugees coming into LV. They wont be commiting the crimes that the New Orleans refugees did to Houston. The Houston crime rate skyrocketed the day Mayor Bill White was kind enough to let them in.

I would pack my back pack and have enough gear to last as long as possible and hump it up into the mountians of Utah. A survivalist could last months in the desert with limited supplies. I dont eat meat but I guess I would have to develop a taste for Jack Rabbits and Virgin River water.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:16 PM

9 posts, read 27,724 times
Just for clarification about FEMA, before they can do anything the Governor of the stricken state has to ask for federal assistance. Then the President has to declare the area a Federal Disaster Area (listed by county). Only then can FEMA go in.
Anyone in a Federal Disaster Area, at the time of the disaster, is eligible for aid through the FEMA Disaster Housing Program. The DHP will only cover what is necessary to restore the house to a safe, habitable condition.
The purchasing of chainsaws and generators are usually covered, if deemed necessary, and bought after the formal declaration.

ETA: I was a contractor for FEMA in 05 after the hurricanes hit the SE.

One thing some folks are missing, is that dealing with a disaster in a metro area is exponentially more difficult for the average person. City folk depend on the services provided for by the city - water, power, trash, POLICE, etc. When there is a major collapse, all hell breaks loose and you will have to rel on yourselves to provide these services.
During Katrina, some folks who stayed (and were smart) set up ARMED road blocks at the entrances to their neighborhood, in order to keep the thugs out. And I have read first hand accounts of this.
Its not like the police are going to do much, look at some of NOLA PD looting.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...65090799900529
The point is that you will have a much easier time if you plan accordingly, and get the community/neighborhood involved.
Chance favors the prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
They wont be commiting the crimes that the New Orleans refugees did to Houston. The Houston crime rate skyrocketed the day Mayor Bill White was kind enough to let them in.

I would pack my back pack and have enough gear to last as long as possible and hump it up into the mountians of Utah. A survivalist could last months in the desert with limited supplies. I dont eat meat but I guess I would have to develop a taste for Jack Rabbits and Virgin River water.
What happened in NOLA will not happen in Texas, simply because a Texas law states that it is the responsibility of the property owners to provide law and order if the police are unable to do so.
And Houston was a rathole long before Katrina refugees showed up.
If you are serious about running to the hills, and actually surviving in the desert, I hope you have taken some classes.
My priorities for disaster preparedness are:
Water
Guns/ammo
Food
Gas
Comms

Last edited by SDSmitty; 07-13-2008 at 12:39 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSmitty View Post
Just for clarification about FEMA, before they can do anything the Governor of the stricken state has to ask for federal assistance. Then the President has to declare the area a Federal Disaster Area (listed by county). Only then can FEMA go in.
Anyone in a Federal Disaster Area, at the time of the disaster, is eligible for aid through the FEMA Disaster Housing Program. The DHP will only cover what is necessary to restore the house to a safe, habitable condition.
The purchasing of chainsaws and generators are usually covered, if deemed necessary, and bought after the formal declaration.

Your quite correct. But like all govt intervention, they screw it up and it does not work quite that easy. Dont forget, nothing can get started until the media can coordinate their time with the Governer so when he takes his chopper ride over the disaster area attempting to make him look important, the media can show it. They always instruct the Governer to squint his eyes so he looks concerned. But he ain't.

What you said is pretty much the rest of the chain of events. I know because I am a certified FEMA Inspector paid and hired by Parsons Brinckerhoff during times of national disaster. I chose not to go to New Orleans and they got mad at me but Im still on the call list.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:43 PM

9 posts, read 27,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What you said is pretty much the rest of the chain of events. I know because I am a certified FEMA Inspector paid and hired by Parsons Brinckerhoff during times of national disaster. I chose not to go to New Orleans and they got mad at me but Im still on the call list.
Yeah, I was with PB, and didn't want to go to NOLA either. Screw that. I was in Houston for 6 weeks, and then transferred to Miami. I dealt with people in the 5th Ward trying to tell me that there 10 yr old big screen TV blew up because of a power surge. Everyone wanted that gubment check...

Old 07-13-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSmitty View Post
Yeah, I was with PB, and didn't want to go to NOLA either. Screw that. I was in Houston for 6 weeks, and then transferred to Miami. I dealt with people in the 5th Ward trying to tell me that there 10 yr old big screen TV blew up because of a power surge. Everyone wanted that gubment check...
You made me giggle over your comment. When they called me to go to N.O. they said there was no hotel for me to stay. Sooo what do I sleep in the streets with the crooked cops and the thugs firing randomly?

Good day to you friend !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas