Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 02:35 AM

207 posts, read 907,434 times

Advertisements

I am taking my sheltered SoCal little cousins to the Grand Canyon next week. I really want this to be perfect so I humbly ask the experts here how to do this. I wanted to go drive to Flagstaff, stay the night, and visit the South Rim the next day. Unfortunately, all the hotels and camping spots I'd stay at are booked.

Here are my what I perceive to be my options;
The one day car trip to South Rim.
The one day car trip to North Rim. (same reservation problems)
Bus Tour of South Rim.

And then some questions;
I see some places in Sedona left, but is it worth the premium to stay there?
Will they be missing out on anything significant by going to North Rim instead of South Rim?
Are there 1/2 off tour discount tickets off the strip like the 1/2 price show tickets?
Any bus tours you'd recommend?

If there are any good ideas that I might have missed, please share your experiences and ideas. Again, these are city SoCal kids who told me they've been camping before only to find out it was on their school's soccer field. I want them to experience these great parks, but they're 11 and 16 so very hard to impress.

My thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 04:42 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
call 1.800.thetrain... NOT terribly expensive and includes Hotel in Williams. Train [steam]to the South Rim [overnight stay possible] train back the next afternoon....EXCELLANT trip ESPECIALLY for the urban LA types and they DEFINATELY will be impressed [especially with the train robery]

Old 08-02-2008, 04:43 AM

north rim is beautiful but the only real option is to stay at Jacob Lake in a cabin.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:00 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,038,804 times
Avoid the Skywalk.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:04 PM

ROFLMAO I wouldn't go near the skydive on a bet.....[and the bet IS that is gonna crack off n hit the bottom.]

$50 to get in the gate and another $75 to walk out is what I heard.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:40 AM

104 posts, read 254,936 times
I took a $79. all day bus tour just last week:

Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon South Rim Bus Tour

I dreaded the hell out of it before I went, but I had done the canyon-and-back thing in one day driving myself and that was not happening again.

But I had friends who wanted to go so I went along...and had a blast! The bus was comfortable and cool, a reasonably edible buffet lunch was included, and there plenty of stops at McDonald's and service plazas so you could grab a snack, smoke, whatever your needs would be.

As well, they played a couple or three movies on the bus.

There were two stops at the canyon, beautiful vistas with about an hour sightseeing at each one...

All in all an exceptional value.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:55 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhale View Post
I am taking my sheltered SoCal little cousins to the Grand Canyon next week. I really want this to be perfect so I humbly ask the experts here how to do this. I wanted to go drive to Flagstaff, stay the night, and visit the South Rim the next day. Unfortunately, all the hotels and camping spots I'd stay at are booked.

Here are my what I perceive to be my options;
The one day car trip to South Rim.
The one day car trip to North Rim. (same reservation problems)
Bus Tour of South Rim.

And then some questions;
I see some places in Sedona left, but is it worth the premium to stay there?
Will they be missing out on anything significant by going to North Rim instead of South Rim?
Are there 1/2 off tour discount tickets off the strip like the 1/2 price show tickets?
Any bus tours you'd recommend?

If there are any good ideas that I might have missed, please share your experiences and ideas. Again, these are city SoCal kids who told me they've been camping before only to find out it was on their school's soccer field. I want them to experience these great parks, but they're 11 and 16 so very hard to impress.

My thanks for any help.
First of all did you try to get a room in Williams? If they are booked, then Sedona is well worth the trip. The kids would love to stop at Oak Creek Canyon and play in the water on the trip down. Where Santa Fe is Neiman Marcus, Sedona is Macy's. You'll love it there.
You could probably get a room in Seligman too. Nice little town on old Rt 66.

Seligman, Az. Route 66 Town

Next, the north rim is my preference. Much nicer than the south rim, a lot cooler (1000 feet higher in elevation), and far fewer tourists. The only catch is there aren't a lot of places to stay. You could try Jacob Lake, AZ. If no rooms there, Kanab, UT, is a nice place to stay. It's where all the old B/W cowboy movies were shot, and home of Best Friends. Best Friends Animal Society - Visiting Best Friends

Fredonia, AZ, is also a good place to stay but I think you'll find most of the motel rooms in Kanab.

The kids won't be bored with the Grand Canyon. My five year old granddaughter was just at the north rim and they made her an honary Jr. Ranger. She loved it there. You might try in advance to make reservations for a horseback ride. Kids love that.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:54 AM

113 posts, read 328,611 times
I love the Grand Canyon. I stayed/worked there for 3 months many moons ago, the summer I turned 21. I cringe when people say they want to go there for the day. There is so much to see. The park's lodging does fill up, and I have had pretty good success in the past with calling a day or 2 out and snatching up the cancellations. Reservations phone is 888.297.2757 That's in the park. I have no idea about Tusayan has to offer.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:40 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbasicmom View Post
I love the Grand Canyon. I stayed/worked there for 3 months many moons ago, the summer I turned 21. I cringe when people say they want to go there for the day. There is so much to see. The park's lodging does fill up, and I have had pretty good success in the past with calling a day or 2 out and snatching up the cancellations. Reservations phone is 888.297.2757 That's in the park. I have no idea about Tusayan has to offer.
I agree with both things you said. You really short change yourself on a day trip. I have also taken advantage of last minute cancellations.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:11 PM

172 posts, read 558,840 times
We recently stayed in Williams AZ and took the train up to the Grand Canyon. It was fun for the kids but not sure I would recommend it. It was touristy and everyone during the train ride expected tips so have some cash handy. The restaurant affiliated with the hotel was not great but the hotel was clean and comfy and the town of Williams is kinda cute.

I also stayed at the El Tovar on the south rim and that was really great. Its wonderful to watch the sunset and see how the rocks change color at different times of the day.

Have never tried it but the mule ride sounds great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas