U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 PM

542 posts, read 1,857,170 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Well the hunt is on for a j-o-b. I've been looking for about 2 weeks now. I've been applying in the administrative, clerical, marketing, and customer service areas. I have a B.A.S in Radio/ Television Broadcasting.

I noticed that EVERYWHERE says apply online and NO phone calls. lol I'm not used to not being able to go into a business and actually speak with a person. lol It's kind of wierd. lol However, I do understand companies here probably get tons of resumes and if everyone called they'd get waaay too many calls. lol It still sucks though because I like to follow up with people.

Well my mini rant is over. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Please DM me.

Thanks

P.S. Vegas is still awesome!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 PM

2,987 posts, read 8,300,957 times
Keep on keeping on! If your qualified for something out there, you should have no problem! Good Luck!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:27 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,573,561 times
I would say just keep at it. Pretty much any company aside from very small locally owned businesses or Wal-Mart/McDonalds type jobs will want an online application. FOX 5 is hiring for a couple of positions:

http://www.fox5vegas.com/jobconnecti...94/detail.html

So is the Sinclair Broadcast Group:

Sinclair Broadcast Group

So is Journal Broadcast Group:

Jobs at Journal Broadcast Group > Television Jobs

I'm not sure if you've already applied at these places but I thought I'd put it out there. Again, just keep plugging away and you will find something. Hope it works out!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM

Thanks a bunch for the support and suggestions.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:12 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,045,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
Hello all,

Well the hunt is on for a j-o-b. I've been looking for about 2 weeks now. I've been applying in the administrative, clerical, marketing, and customer service areas. I have a B.A.S in Radio/ Television Broadcasting.

I noticed that EVERYWHERE says apply online and NO phone calls. lol I'm not used to not being able to go into a business and actually speak with a person. lol It's kind of wierd. lol However, I do understand companies here probably get tons of resumes and if everyone called they'd get waaay too many calls. lol It still sucks though because I like to follow up with people.

Please DM me.

Thanks

Movingon...have you checked the Career Fair section of the Las Vegas Review Journal?

Here's the link, lots of stuff on there...hope it helps. Keep moving forward, you will be ultimately successful

reviewjournal.com -- Employment

Old 08-06-2008, 11:12 AM

109 posts, read 479,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
Hello all,

Please DM me.

Thanks

Instead of applying at jobs that are posted Ive been going to the chamber of commerce website to target industries Im interested in then contacting their company to find out who their hr person is regardless if they are hiring or not then I email my resume directly to them. So far its actually worked, one of the companies that I had "spammed" my resume to had no job vacancies at the time she received my email then a week later a position opened up and she actually remembered receiving my resume via email and called me for an interview.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimm View Post
Instead of applying at jobs that are posted Ive been going to the chamber of commerce website to target industries Im interested in then contacting their company to find out who their hr person is regardless if they are hiring or not then I email my resume directly to them. So far its actually worked, one of the companies that I had "spammed" my resume to had no job vacancies at the time she received my email then a week later a position opened up and she actually remembered receiving my resume via email and called me for an interview.
Congratulations that's awesome!!! I will give it a try!!

I went to a job fair today and I think it went pretty well. We shall see.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,928 times
I looked & looked too-for 2 weeks..monday of the 3rd week (this week) I finally landed one..I bet I sent out over 100 resumes a week. I mostly used craigslist, careerbuilder, & the employment guide. My job actually came from craigslist. I had 7 interviews set up-thank god I got the job I really wanted out of all the interviews-
Keep sending out those resumes..took 3 weeks to finally get people to call me!

good luck Keep us posted

sumchic

Old 08-08-2008, 03:26 PM

15,370 posts, read 37,429,380 times
Patience also helps......when we advertise for a position, FREQUENTLY, we will hold all of the applications until there are enough to justify setting aside one or two days for interviews....THEN we call everyone in.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Patience also helps......when we advertise for a position, FREQUENTLY, we will hold all of the applications until there are enough to justify setting aside one or two days for interviews....THEN we call everyone in.
Yes, I'm trying to remain calm and patient. I know... a watched pot never boils... right. lol

I think I'm on the do not call list at Binions/4Queens!! lol I have applied for the same position everytime it's been listed. I meet all the requirements they say they're looking for. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas