Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 12:42 PM

289 posts, read 1,039,489 times

Advertisements

I did a cursory search of some apartment listings in Las Vegas and was surprised to see a number of them don't pay any sort of utilities. In my experience, apartments in other cities have always paid for water, and sometimes gas.

Is this the norm in Vegas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 01:10 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
I rented several apartments in Vegas and I don't ever remember paying for sewer or water. You'll definitely pay for your own power, cable and telephone, and you'll likely pay your own gas (if the unit isn't all electric as some of them are- especially older complexes).

Bob

Old 02-01-2007, 03:14 PM

30 posts, read 203,102 times
my apartment we have to pay for sewer and water,, they also throw in a "service fee" which is just another way for some rich pig to milk a few extra thousand bucks out of us every month

Old 02-01-2007, 03:16 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,309 times
I rented one apartment for a year in Vegas. We didn't pay bills for water or sewer. Just the standard things like cable, electric, phone..

I recall a few years back that one management company that owns several complexes around the valley was going to start making people pay for things like water and sewer. That was Oasis... they have lots of different complexes but Oasis is usually in the word. They are owned by the same place and I remember a big stink in the paper about them saying they were going to switch and pass those expenses on directly to the tenant instead of having it figured into th rental fee.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:29 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,683,662 times
Oasis is now usually Camden. Also, most of their complexes are safe, have nice amenities, in great locations, and are beautiful.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
It is mostly a question of how they are metered. It was not customary in the older apartment units for water to be separately metered. So it was included in the rates. Camden/Oasis started trying to charge a seperate fee for water/sewer which caused a stir as they were not metered. Some thought it smelled of a rent increase.

So I think the answer is that you will get charged in the newer units but not in the older ones.

All condos are metered and will charge.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:35 PM

11 posts, read 36,010 times
Ironically I just found this forum.
Anyway, I find this thread interesting. I was wondering the same thing. Both apartments I've rented at in Rhode Island had some things included.
Heat, hot water, gas, electric, etc.
Obviously the cable and phone I'd expect to pay for.
However, when looking, I was also definitely surprised to see how many offer very limited things included in the rent.

I also looked into Camden/Oasis (I guess the same company with roughly 30 or so different properties throughout Las Vegas). I was speaking with a woman in the rental office today over the phone and when asked, she said that nothing was included. She also said there was some sort of fee regarding water/sewer which sounds like what olecapt is speaking about.

I plan on trying to find a place the end of this March and then move in May for good. Right now The Boulders at Lone Mountain is at the top of my list of places to look into.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:12 AM

289 posts, read 1,039,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasNV View Post
my apartment we have to pay for sewer and water,, they also throw in a "service fee" which is just another way for some rich pig to milk a few extra thousand bucks out of us every month
So how much is this "fee" per month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: