Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:48 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina46 View Post
kids live in every area....

You are kidding??? I thought there was a kid free area in Vegas??? You mean I can move anywheres and my son be with other children? lol.... But the question still exists- all of these areas with children- parents, are you happy with the school district there?
Tina, I raised kids here, I never had any problem with the schools, their teachers, or the curriculum.

They all turned out to be "good" people and good, moral citizens. Honestly, Las Vegas is not the mecca for higher, quality education. Your kids will get the standard United States education that everybody else gets. The curriculum is no different.

We have larger class sizes and not so great of a budget for school expenditures, meaning also, that we don't lure the most sought after educators in the country either.

We have some bad teachers, that's true in anyplace. But we have lots of good ones as well. Even a few great ones you'll be lucky enough to encounter over the years.

We also lack the special education needs programs you mentioned in your first post. We just don't spend a lot of money on that. We don't have any quality programs for autistic kids..but mainstreaming your child into the public school system is the best thing if it's doable.

I have a dear friend of mine, her daughter has an autistic son...the program he was in (only a few select elementary schools have this program) for autistic children was horrendous, the teacher totally imcompetent and unable to cope. That's what you might find here.

The kid in question was able to mainstreamed into the the public school system...first grade. The mom had consulted with his new teacher (Connors ES) and all seems to be going well. However, the kid is a highly functioning autistic child.

Do some research before you move here, know the facts. Despite what all the complainers on here will say, take it from someone who's "been there and done that"....... your kids are going to get a decent, standard education.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,845,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Tina, I raised kids here, I never had any problem with the schools, their teachers, or the curriculum.

They all turned out to be "good" people and good, moral citizens. Honestly, Las Vegas is not the mecca for higher, quality education. Your kids will get the standard United States education that everybody else gets. The curriculum is no different.

We have larger class sizes and not so great of a budget for school expenditures, meaning also, that we don't lure the most sought after educators in the country either.

We have some bad teachers, that's true in anyplace. But we have lots of good ones as well. Even a few great ones you'll be lucky enough to encounter over the years.

We also lack the special education needs programs you mentioned in your first post. We just don't spend a lot of money on that. We don't have any quality programs for autistic kids..but mainstreaming your child into the public school system is the best thing if it's doable.

I have a dear friend of mine, her daughter has an autistic son...the program he was in (only a few select elementary schools have this program) for autistic children was horrendous, the teacher totally imcompetent and unable to cope. That's what you might find here.

The kid in question was able to mainstreamed into the the public school system...first grade. The mom had consulted with his new teacher (Connors ES) and all seems to be going well. However, the kid is a highly functioning autistic child.

Do some research before you move here, know the facts. Despite what all the complainers on here will say, take it from someone who's "been there and done that"....... your kids are going to get a decent, standard education.

Nothing more, nothing less.
I would like to add to this and say that the most important factor in any child's education, regardless of location, is parental involvement. My son is top 3 in his 3rd grade class. He is also one of the most well behaved children you will ever meet. The reason being is that over the summer he did about an hours worth of studying so he wouldn't get mentally dull. When I could I sat down with him and showed him how to figure stuff out, as opposed to telling him the answer on the hard questions or letting him skip them. I also discipline my son. I don't have to spank him much if ever anymore, but that's because I wasn't afraid to when he was younger. I think you will find that many of the folks that complain about the schools out here either don't actually have any kids in school or are expecting the schools to do all the heavy lifting while they let the kids run wild playing video games and bouncing off of the walls like spider monkeys on meth. Go to Chuck E Cheese or Peter Piper and you will know what I mean. Who let's there kid stand on the skee ball game or throw the balls overhand at the holes?

Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
that site has a lot of old information, i would use nevada report card site...

You are right-I just used it as a guideline. Certainly not the end-all. I liked that I could compare it other schools, such as the schools in MI. But since the testing is different in MI, it is not foolproof. That's why I said I took a lot of it with a grain of salt.

I have got to say though, and it is early on, but so far my daughter's school appears to be much more strict, has expectations that seem to be higher than her school in MI and I thought her school there was pretty good. I hope she can stay on top of things here. I will definitely be steering her!!

Did you ever wonder about how they really come to those good/bad/better than school stats? Really, how can you compare so many different people, different testing, different academic schedules, and
rate them good/bad or better than any other school? At least for a fair assessment. I don't think you can.

It is like one poster said--do your parenting. Don't leave it all up to the schools.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:03 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
I would like to add to this and say that the most important factor in any child's education, regardless of location, is parental involvement. My son is top 3 in his 3rd grade class. He is also one of the most well behaved children you will ever meet. The reason being is that over the summer he did about an hours worth of studying so he wouldn't get mentally dull. When I could I sat down with him and showed him how to figure stuff out, as opposed to telling him the answer on the hard questions or letting him skip them. I also discipline my son. I don't have to spank him much if ever anymore, but that's because I wasn't afraid to when he was younger. I think you will find that many of the folks that complain about the schools out here either don't actually have any kids in school or are expecting the schools to do all the heavy lifting while they let the kids run wild playing video games and bouncing off of the walls like spider monkeys on meth. Go to Chuck E Cheese or Peter Piper and you will know what I mean. Who let's there kid stand on the skee ball game or throw the balls overhand at the holes?
Well said, parental involvement is the most important factor is a child's life.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:40 AM

29 posts, read 99,212 times
Very well said and I agree! It's up to the parents to guide their children. Matt only is going into the first grade but we were very active in his kindergarten. Right now he is in an inclusion class- which means typical (what they perceive to be "normal"- though I say there is no such thing) kids as well as kids like who like Matthew might have some issues. Matthew is very high functioning and very smart for his age. He is 6 and reads on a 4th grade level. But again, Dave and I have always read to him from an early age and encouraged his love for knowledge. Where ever we go (if we do), I will certainly investigate programs and schools. I was just looking for a heads up if anyone had it. Not someone to do my legwork but just general ideas. One thing too, those charts and such aren't always correct. I read where our school now got a 6 out of 10. I would highly dissagree. Matthew has had nothing but exeptional help and teachers in every capacity at the school. I would have said at least a 9..

by the way, sorry to use slang.. On other boards I frequent we use dh to mean, dear husband (or if we are mad at them, then the d could mean something else.. lol... close enough to darn husband)...

Tina

Old 08-30-2008, 12:28 AM

64 posts, read 205,428 times
... while they let the kids run wild playing video games and bouncing off of the walls like spider monkeys on meth

Spider Monkeys on METH? That was SO funny! You're killing me! HA HA HA

Go to Chuck E Cheese or Peter Piper and you will know what I mean. Who let's there kid stand on the skee ball game or throw the balls overhand at the holes?

I have seen kids like this and I can only assume that the parents aren't watching because they are busy making travel plans to appear on the Jerry Springer Show.

Last edited by YogaMom; 08-30-2008 at 12:50 AM..

Old 08-30-2008, 12:48 AM

I have worked a little with children who require special needs. I learned it is more respectful to the child and the parents to refer to the child first and the condition or challenge second, so as to not define the child by one aspect of him or her.

Replace "autistic child" with "a child with autism".

Doesn't that just sound nicer?!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:34 AM

29 posts, read 99,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogaMom View Post
I have worked a little with children who require special needs. I learned it is more respectful to the child and the parents to refer to the child first and the condition or challenge second, so as to not define the child by one aspect of him or her.

Replace "autistic child" with "a child with autism".

Doesn't that just sound nicer?!
I had to reread my posts because I didn't think i said that . I am a huge believer in what you said. I don't go around saying this is my autistic son. I only mentioned it because of looking for schools that might be right for him. If it is mentioned then it is my son Matthew who has autism. First and foremost he is my wonderful, sweet, loving, funny, smart son! The light of my life!

Tina

Old 08-31-2008, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina46 View Post
I had to reread my posts because I didn't think i said that . I am a huge believer in what you said. I don't go around saying this is my autistic son. I only mentioned it because of looking for schools that might be right for him. If it is mentioned then it is my son Matthew who has autism. First and foremost he is my wonderful, sweet, loving, funny, smart son! The light of my life!

Tina

No No dear Tina I was not directing that to you!! I'm sorry! It was just meant in general. Without checking this minute...I think it was MomMom who was using the "autistic kid" phrase - I just wanted to put it "out there". I am POSITIVE she meant no harm...so I didn't want to name names (like I just did anyway)

Again, I'm sorry for being so vague -

Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
You're right...a "mom who does Yoga" sounds much nicer to me than "YogaMom".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas