Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 4,644 times

Advertisements

I am being bombarded by my HOA stating that I am working on customers vehicles when they are my own. I consulted an Attorney who was wanting me to fix his car at the shop in Las Vegas and he stated it is legal to work on your own vehicle if it is registered to you. Now I have to show up at a hearing to prove my innocence. I am planning on a lawsuit against them with an Attorney who takes these cases on consignment. They will not leave me alone!! Anyone else run into this Nevada Nazi program? Home of the free land of the Brave? Freedom without free just leaves Dum!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times
You must be new to HOA thing...just wait until you forget to wash your hands after going to the bathroom.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:04 AM

59 posts, read 350,315 times
Typically, if you are living under an HOA, there will be something in the Bylaws or CC&R's that states no working on vehicles of any kind. If they catch you and/or someone tells on you, they can fine you. Make sure that you and your lawyer have gone through your homeowners information with a fine tooth comb before you head off to your hearing.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Define "working on your vehicles"- if you're talking about doing a tuneup in your garage, that's one thing- if you're tearing apart junkers on the front lawn, that's something else entirely. Of course, if you read the rules that you signed up for, you probably wouldn't be having the problem with the "nazis" that you're currently having. And your attorney may want to re-check his facts- if the HOA regs restrict you from working on your car, they'll stand up in court- good thing he's willing to work on contingency, or you'd be paying to go to court and lose.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,295 times
Default HOAs

My CC&Rs say that I can only work on a vehicle in the garage with the door closed.

The advice you have been given above is solid. If your CC&Rs say you cannot work on a vehicle in the open (like mine do), you will lose when you go to your hearing. lawyer or not. It's always a good idea to read through them.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:47 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
are you "souping up" the cars.. sorry but i feel for the neighbors, you could always rent a storage garage to do your repairs.. and incidentally, i'm in the automotive industry

Old 09-02-2008, 04:10 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
if you are working on more then just YOUR personal car and you're doing it in the driveway, you've lost before you started.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:32 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
Even working on your own personal vehicle in your driveway is prohibited in a lot of HOA's...it states so in your CC & R's...

More than likely, if you didn't get "caught" doing repairs by an HOA inspector driving around...I hate to tell you. One of the neighbors probably reported you..

If your CC & R's restrict all vehicle repairs in the driveway...you have already lost.

Don't bother with the attorney and the expense, tell the HOA board that you were "ignorant" of this by-law and you shall sin no more...... and don't.

Fines can be pretty hefty...and the HOA has the right to lien your property (or even foreclose) for unpaid fines....(that's in your CC & R's also)

Old 09-03-2008, 03:11 PM

150 posts, read 636,169 times
HOAs can have rules that are more restrictive than the law. For example pets may be legal but your HOA might say you can have only certain pets or a certain number of pets.

I think the only truly protected law is like power conservation things, such as solar etc. HOAs cannot prevent you from using solar, etc.

This "Nazi Program" is one that you join voluntarily. When you buy a house you sign a contract that states tat you have read the rules and that you agree to the restrictions in place.

After that it is your responsibility to abide by the rules.

It may be "legal" to work on your own car, but there may be restrictions on how you can do that and what type of work you can do. Some HOAs restrict the type of car work you can do on your car outside of your garage. And they CAN do this. And you did agree to this when you bought your house.

Go specifically through the rules and see if there are more restrictions than just working on your own car that you might be violating just so your ducks are in a row before the meeting.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:14 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
so u have no street parking? that would be great in my hoa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas