Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 05:04 PM

28 posts, read 94,504 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been reading posts here for afew days and learned alot abt. the area. My husband has been a union electrican for 33 years and union work where we live is slowly drying up.We are thinking of relocating to the Vegas area. We have a friend that is an electric to and he is already out there and planning on moving his family out there. My question (this time) is abt. the areas to live. How far is Boulder City from Vegas? We now live in a very small city in TN and we like it because there is no crime and everybody pretty much knows each other and we are not right in a major city. From what I have read I think we might like Blouder City. My husband will work out of Vegas local but could be in any area. We would like to rent for 6 months to a year before we buy a home. Also is the area "Pet Freindly"? Is there areas that are more so than others? I love dogs and have dogs and I also like to volunteer in rescue and would like to become active as a volunteer there. Thanks for any info. that might help us at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:26 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,668,091 times
i dont think there are many rentals in Boulder City, but if you want to get to the City of Las Vegas like Fremont/Sahara, it could take you 30 minutes...

Old 09-08-2008, 08:08 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,239,269 times
Yorkiemom, if you want a small town feel, try some of the master planned communities. Boulder city has a no growth policy which means no new homes or apts. I think there is a waiting list a few miles long for homes out there.
There is no such place as crime free. Want safer? Go down the road 2 hours to southern Utah.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:21 PM

31 posts, read 104,723 times
We have lived in Las Vegas for 4 years. There really isn't a "safe" place here. We are planning a move to Arkansas as soon as we can. As for a construction job - make sure there is really availability before you move. We are #1 in foreclosures at this time. Many Strip construction projects have been stalled or stopped. Boulder City is a beautiful city, but very expensive. Pahrump is about an hour or so away but very rural. Blue Diamond is a tiny community nestled in the hills to the west. Don't know much about it. There isn't a small town any where near Las Vegas. Crime here is very high. Coming from Tennessee you will have culture-shock. We did and we lived in Southern California! Think very hard before you move here. If you have children I definately do not recommend it. You cannot get away from the smut. It's everywhere. If you don't want to be exposed to mostly naked women everywhere you turn, don't move here. Compared to where we lived in CA the people here
are so angry! We lived in a community of over 100,000 people that was always rated either 1or 2 on the FBI's list of safest places to live over 100,000 population. We didn't come from a small town. Be prepared for 6 months of hot weather. The color green is almost non-existant. In speaking to someone who had recently moved here from a beach community in CA, we asked why did you move here? She responded "We didn't know we were moving to Hell." That is how we feel. Lots of people love it here. Just be prepared. Do your
homework. Look-up the stats on City-Data. If you have kids, check out the number of pedophiles registered, and the quality of the schools. There are a lot of transients here. There are a lot of homless people here. Check out the crime rate. I did that on the 5 places
to which we considered moving and was able to narrow it down to 1.

If you like hot weather and a very fast-moving city you will surely like it here.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:49 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,923,831 times
Quote:
If you don't want to be exposed to mostly naked women everywhere you turn, don't move here. Compared to where we lived in CA the people here
And you probably don't want to move anywhere near the beaches in SoCal for that matter. Lots of mostly naked women there and they are 3D.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:47 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,239,269 times
I've yet to see any "mostly naked women" anywhere in my neighborhood and out of it. Haven't seen them anywhere on the strip either, unless they were in a show. lol All the angry people must be living in JG's neighborhood. They aren't in mine. Crime is not rampant all over the place. Smut is not everywhere. I find that so laughable.
It really makes me wonder what made up world JGAngel is living in. It sure isn't Las Vegas.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,923,831 times
Well, the good thing is that they are moving. Hopefully they will find their nirvana.

Cities do need to get rid of the doom and gloomers.

On my ride yesterday from Henderson to Centennial Hills, I made it a point to take in the surroundings, to see if I noticed XXX billboards or taxis. I did not. Maybe a showgirl, but she was in costume. Not much skin. Nothing else. Didn't notice any bums, didn't see any shootings or any other crimes. I don't know, maybe it is all in the way you view things. I don't go digging for it. I am sure if I went and rode around sketchy areas, I would see some "stuff", but why would I do that?

What I did see was the beauty of the mountains, with the sun peeking through the clouds on them, casting some very cool shadows. I think there was some snow up there too. I saw tons of families and children out and about, playing in front of their homes. Laughing, running, riding bikes. I saw neighbors out chatting with each other. People hanging out having fun in the parks. At lunch, I saw people hanging out having fun watching their favorite team play. Laughing, cheering, eating and having a nice time.

Look beyond the grim. You may be surprised at what you are missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas