Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:46 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times

Advertisements

Summerlin will work in the upper part of your range. In Summerlin you can get nice established neighborhoods with reasonable lots. The newer sections of Summerlin will be more difficult though workable...fewer pools, smaller lots...good buys though on the foreclosure side.

I like Aliante in north Las Vegas...particularly Club Aliante and some of the Astoria tracts. Nice homes. Pools may limit the choices.

The happiest hunting ground would likely be the far NW 89143/89131. Very nice single stories with pools near the Floyd Lamb park. Virtually new and hard hit by the foreclosures. Tule Springs Ranch, Log Cabin, Iron Mountain Ranch, Silverstone Ranch and such.

Another thought is take on the whole quadrant...or even two...and check out all the hot buys until one hits you. The ultimate foreclosure is one priced well in a neighborhood that has almost none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 08:18 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
My sister bought in Vegas earlier this year in 89131. She got a steal of a deal and that is a really nice area. The advice is right to look in a neighborhood with fewer foreclosures. My sister said when she was looking there were some communities where half of the homes were in foreclosure. Ouch!

The house she bought had just gone into foreclosure, but was obviously well maintained. Original owners a year or 2 prior paid $850-900K. They hadnt even landscaped the backyard yet. Now notwithstanding my opinion she bought wayyyy too much house at over 4500 SF for 2 people in some schmancy gated community... She got it for $350,000-375,000 (that was her range).

The one observation I have of Vegas and housing that I do not see here in Phoenix is I remember driving around and seeing dozens and dozens of vacant lots that apparently were in some degree of development/construction that was just halted. Half built homes. Dozens of billboards trying to sell the houses. Many obviously vacant houses. It was so "obvious". Granted things arent a lot better here in most of Phoenix. But it was really "visible" in Vegas. I also work in real estate lending, so it was sort of eery to "see" it firsthand.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
My sister bought in Vegas earlier this year in 89131. She got a steal of a deal and that is a really nice area. The advice is right to look in a neighborhood with fewer foreclosures. My sister said when she was looking there were some communities where half of the homes were in foreclosure. Ouch!

The house she bought had just gone into foreclosure, but was obviously well maintained. Original owners a year or 2 prior paid $850-900K. They hadnt even landscaped the backyard yet. Now notwithstanding my opinion she bought wayyyy too much house at over 4500 SF for 2 people in some schmancy gated community... She got it for $350,000-375,000 (that was her range).

The one observation I have of Vegas and housing that I do not see here in Phoenix is I remember driving around and seeing dozens and dozens of vacant lots that apparently were in some degree of development/construction that was just halted. Half built homes. Dozens of billboards trying to sell the houses. Many obviously vacant houses. It was so "obvious". Granted things arent a lot better here in most of Phoenix. But it was really "visible" in Vegas. I also work in real estate lending, so it was sort of eery to "see" it firsthand.
Don't think so. There have been virtually no spec houses in Las Vegas for the last 18 months. New build inventory is very low and consists almost entirely of things that have fallen out of contract.

Some of the guys may be building slow to manage cash...but if it is started it is pretty likely to be completed.

There are a couple of big deals that got started and ran out of financing...but there are not a lot of those.

Most of the numbers I see would indicate that Phoenix is in even more trouble than Las Vegas at this point. Inventory for instance.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:47 PM

81 posts, read 260,416 times
olecapt:

Just curious - whats your initial impression of This House (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?zp=89074&typ=1&sid=6d0f343a6f5b 4603b3a2e559f2df6630&lid=1102204434&lsn=1&srcnt=45 5#Detail - broken link)

Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Summerlin will work in the upper part of your range. In Summerlin you can get nice established neighborhoods with reasonable lots. The newer sections of Summerlin will be more difficult though workable...fewer pools, smaller lots...good buys though on the foreclosure side.

I like Aliante in north Las Vegas...particularly Club Aliante and some of the Astoria tracts. Nice homes. Pools may limit the choices.

The happiest hunting ground would likely be the far NW 89143/89131. Very nice single stories with pools near the Floyd Lamb park. Virtually new and hard hit by the foreclosures. Tule Springs Ranch, Log Cabin, Iron Mountain Ranch, Silverstone Ranch and such.

Another thought is take on the whole quadrant...or even two...and check out all the hot buys until one hits you. The ultimate foreclosure is one priced well in a neighborhood that has almost none.
Best advice ever.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 PM

157 posts, read 560,346 times
Thanks for the advice. I have always thought really stay away from high foreclosure areas due to high crime and perhaps those pesky investors might come back and rent out half the neighborhood.

Is North Las Vegas ok? Think I will pass on NW due to the high foreclosure rate.

I really want less than 30 minute drive or around 30 from whereever to around charleston and buffalo

Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreeGal View Post
Thanks for the advice. I have always thought really stay away from high foreclosure areas due to high crime and perhaps those pesky investors might come back and rent out half the neighborhood.

Is North Las Vegas ok? Think I will pass on NW due to the high foreclosure rate.

I really want less than 30 minute drive or around 30 from whereever to around charleston and buffalo
North Las Vegas is more saturated with foreclosures than NW Vegas. I live in the NW and it is a very nice area. Very little crime, very quiet, it has a very middle-class suburban feel to it. I work on Charleston between Rainbow and Buffalo and it takes me about 20 minutes to get to the office. North Las Vegas will be a bit more of a commute.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
olecapt:

Just curious - whats your initial impression of This House (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?zp=89074&typ=1&sid=6d0f343a6f5b 4603b3a2e559f2df6630&lid=1102204434&lsn=1&srcnt=45 5#Detail - broken link)
Somewhat obsolesence GV home. Contingent status for financing. REPO. Old enough I would sweat the inspection. One car garages are unusual.

Nice area generally though I do not know that tract...looks ok though.

I would do the pickup truck test. And I would have my agent check for owner occupied percentage. If not above 60% don't go there.

Area does not appear badly hit by foreclosures though there are some active shorts.

A good buy in GV...and GV is a pretty nice place...I particularly like older GV if the neighborhood has held up.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:48 AM

81 posts, read 260,416 times
I am not really looking, it was just the cheapest house in 89074. And I thought it looked rather different than most places.

It is old for GV isn't it....

Old 09-11-2008, 08:56 AM

278 posts, read 791,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
I am not really looking, it was just the cheapest house in 89074. And I thought it looked rather different than most places.

It is old for GV isn't it....
in my mind, that's a plus for vegas and the surrounding areas. a house from 1986 is old. the homes in "old vegas"- the mid century moderns built in the 1960s near the strip, are ancient! i.e. most of the stuff is rather new, and you don't have to worry as much as you would in cities where a lot of the stuff is absolutely archaic (boston/new york brownstone's, original craftsman homes in la suburbs, victorian homes, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas