U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 09:37 AM

309 posts, read 849,576 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering a move from Memphis to Las Vegas. I'm a soon to be divorced female baby boomer. I would like to land a job in education (adult education or elementary) or counseling. I'm also a military vet. My most recent experience has been in real estate but I'm not interested in doing that in Vegas. I heard they need teachers there. I have a Masters degree and 10 years of teaching experience. My question is how are teacher salaries and would I be able to support myself on a teacher or counselor's salary in Vegas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 11:02 AM

4,032 posts, read 7,640,393 times
You had better make sure you can get a license first. I moved to Vegas from Memphis with licensure in Tennessee and Arkansas for special education and administration to take a job in CCSD. Even with doctorate in special education administration and supervision, the state of Nevada wouldn't issue me a license. I wound up taking 18 hours. It happens to a lot of people when the go to CCSD.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
You had better make sure you can get a license first. I moved to Vegas from Memphis with licensure in Tennessee and Arkansas for special education and administration to take a job in CCSD. Even with doctorate in special education administration and supervision, the state of Nevada wouldn't issue me a license. I wound up taking 18 hours. It happens to a lot of people when the go to CCSD.
We've moved before and I learned that about getting licensed before you go. I won't leave until I've got that. I hope I don't have to take too many courses. Did the courses have to be state specific? Can I take them while still here in Memphis or have to take them in Nevada? Thanks. How do you like Vegas compared to Memphis?

Old 09-13-2008, 01:54 PM

4,032 posts, read 7,640,393 times
Basically, it was courses I already had. It's impossible to tell how people at the department of ed will treat you. They have signs posted all over their office that say stuff like, "Unruly people will be removed." Most people think it's very strange thing until they get up to the glassed in window and interact the idots behind it. Unfortunately, they probably won't give you a provisional license until you are there and trapped. You probably won't get to take any coursework outside of Vegas. I moved to Missouri and didn't have any problems. Nevada is a different animal.

I had horrible allergies in Memphis and Las Vegas was much better in that regard but the dust can cause problems. Memphis has much more diverse entertainments and culture to take advantage of, but I liked the people in Vegas better. But in many areas of the city there's ugly graffiti, much of it near schoos, especially in the east, northeast and center areas of the city.

I liked Vegas but am glad to be out of CCSD. The last straw for me was when a teacher collapsed and died, and my supervisor would not let me go the next day and be with those students (elementary self contained special ed class) because I was scheduled to visit classes with an autism consultant. Even the consultant said we should go be with those kids and offered to go with us to that classroom. My boss still said no. Too many administrators in CCSD have left classrooms and forgotten what we were being paid to do. Between that and lack of parental support and involvement, I had to find a new atmosphere where it's about the kids. It's just too big any more. It wasn't that way when I first started there. There are lots of reasons CCSD needs teachers. It's not just growth, there's attrition, too.

If you are set on going there, you should visit the school where you will be working before you sign a contract and move. Talk with the principal and staff. Ask lots of questions about parent involvement, their attendance at conferences and meetings, discipline, curriculum, supplies and materials etc. Ask about training opportunities and support. If you aren't allowed to do these things, it's a bad sign of what you will be walking into. CCSD has over 300 schools, and they have good ones and bad ones. The principal sets the tone of each building. You have to know this before you go in and choose a good one. Know too that CCSD had to cut 130 million dollars from their budget this year. They may have to do that in the next few years until the economy recovers.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Sounds like most school systems I've known. Teachers are always needed because they are not appreciated and treated accordingly. I can still hear a secretary telling a caller that the person they were asking for was "just a teacher". That was in the Dekalb County, Georgia system. I thought the lobby of the Clark County System building said a lot when you could only get as far as a mean security guard. He wouldn't answer any questions. He just pointed to a computer monitor and a stack of business cards with inaccurate (I checked) phone numbers and a website on them.
Nice! I might take it all on as a challenge. I will do a lot of research before I sign anything. Once you sign a contract they think they've got your soul.
Most school systems in U.S. cities operate like that. And we wonder what is wrong with them.

Last edited by psi2007; 09-18-2008 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 09-25-2008, 01:47 AM

85 posts, read 270,362 times
Before you move, call CCSD and make sure they are hiring because this school year, they laid off teachers, even though they need to hire more, and turned them into bus drivers, support clerical staff and teaching aides. I am guessing they got to keep a job, but a lower wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas