Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:20 PM

6 posts, read 9,851 times

Advertisements

'ello

Lucas here, a 50 year old successful designer looking to move to vagas. For my job, I need about 200 Sq feet of "shop" or third stall in a 3 car garage, however I don't know what the HMO's would have to say about this.... also.... WHY don't you have basements??????

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 04:58 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,472,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatewintermn View Post
'ello

Lucas here, a 50 year old successful designer looking to move to vagas. For my job, I need about 200 Sq feet of "shop" or third stall in a 3 car garage, however I don't know what the HMO's would have to say about this.... also.... WHY don't you have basements??????

thanks
Actually some homes do have basements. Most are in the South West and South East. America West built the homes with basements, quite a few communities.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:23 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Thw HMO's may advise against it, due to health reasons.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:05 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
What kind of designer? I am a CKD and work directly with interior designers often when they feel like telling me how to design a kitchen. Wana see heads clash? Anyway most designers of all types are starving to death. Im not since I sell, design, build and install what I design.

Builders stopped building new homes so no more models to decorate and everyone else is too broke to spend on such a luxury an interior designer provides.

Good luck ! Try Dallas/FW or Houston area. They are now building homes as fast as they did in Vegas back in 2001-2004. It's booming !

Old 09-14-2008, 02:35 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,687,180 times
we mainly don't have basements because of the hard soil...i have heard that the houses on the east side have basements and a lot of luxury homes on the mountains have basements...

Old 09-14-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
we mainly don't have basements because of the hard soil...i have heard that the houses on the east side have basements and a lot of luxury homes on the mountains have basements...
As far as basements, you cant always dig here because we have something called celetchie. I may be spelling that wrong. Excavators here can not give a fixed price to dig. What they do is give you a price to dig PLUS $200/hr to hammer out celetchie. It's kind of like solid concrete of ledge rock as we called it back east. The backhoe will take off his shovel and put on a pointed 4" thick hammer. He puts his hydralic arm on vibrate and just sits there while the hammer breaks up the celetchie.

This does not make adding basements to homes feasable here.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:04 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
As far as basements, you cant always dig here because we have something called celetchie. I may be spelling that wrong. Excavators here can not give a fixed price to dig. What they do is give you a price to dig PLUS $200/hr to hammer out celetchie. It's kind of like solid concrete of ledge rock as we called it back east. The backhoe will take off his shovel and put on a pointed 4" thick hammer. He puts his hydralic arm on vibrate and just sits there while the hammer breaks up the celetchie.

This does not make adding basements to homes feasable here.
It's actually caliche
Here's a link explaining it to the person wondering why there aren't too many basements here:
Caliche (mineral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Old 09-14-2008, 07:30 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
You might look into a PPO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatewintermn View Post
'ello

thanks

Old 09-14-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
It's actually caliche
Here's a link explaining it to the person wondering why there aren't too many basements here:
Caliche (mineral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Thats the stuff !!!

Old 09-14-2008, 10:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
You can almost always get away with whatever you want in the third bay. In bigger places you find workshops. May of the newer construction has a casita that may be adequate though some may be too small.

In general don't sweat the HOA a lot. Read the CC&Rs when you get them looking for any really hostile clauses. I don't know of any off hand.

Basements are not built because it is not customary and costs $20 to $30 per SF. You got to add another floor instead of just pouring a slab. There are level problems as the basement generally raises the height of the first floor a few feet. Caliche compounds that problem when it is encountered.

You can add a basement to any custom for around $30 psf plus any caliche charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas