Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times

Advertisements

I know it's impossible......but we do.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 09:50 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,474,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
right! too many people come to LV once or twice, see nothing but the strip and then decide it is their duty to inform the people about the evils/gaudiness/tackiness/greed/etc. that they believe encompasses the entire city.

gets kinda old and therefore our responses are often less than cordial. and by all respects, i am still a guppy in this pond...really has to get old for the people who have lived here for some time.
Oh, it does.......

Last edited by MomMom; 09-26-2008 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-26-2008, 10:06 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Wright View Post
I think this town gets way too much press and is not all it's cracked up to be. Most people see Vegas as exciting and energetic; I would agree with them to a point but the city has a fake, phony, overblown, manufactured feel to it. Not only that, but the waitstaff at most of the places I went to were very RUDE! That is inexcuseable for a city that relies on tourism to pay the lights. Everything there is overpriced, too. The Strip does have a great variety of things to do but it gets so crowded with all the pedestrians and traffic that it is a nightmare if you want to just walk around and check things out. I'm not saying that it's a bad place, just that Vegas gets props that it doesn't deserve.
How many have gone on vacation or even to visit someone and thought to themselves, "I wish I could move here".

My children have said, "We don't vacation...we move!"

We've lived in New England, the South, a tiny pacific island, mid west, and lastly...Las Vegas.

It's not anyone's fault...but my daughter hit the nail right on the head.... "Vegas has lost it's magic"...as did other places we've lived.

There is a big difference between staying at a hotel or condo- not having to park, bring in groceries, pay and deal with utility companies, no housekeeping chores, no mowing of lawns. And then to actually having a home to upkeep.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:41 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,418 times
Quote:
I'm not saying I disliked Vegas; quite the contrary, in fact I had fun there. All I'm saying is that this city gets entirely too much hype. If you look at what it is advertised to be versus what it actually is, there is just no way Vegas can live up to all the hype.
hype is what you make of it....it's your perceived notion of what something should be based on what someone else told you. that is your baggage, and if you aren't happy w/ it, return and get a new set (e.g., you lived, you learned, and you moved on).

i actually like vegas a lot more now that i live here... always liked it when i visited, but IMHO the real vegas is way better than the tourist vegas. you can do the tourist nonsense if you want (and if you don't mind dropping $$), but as a local you know how to go out and have fun w/o the cost, the crowds, or the 'hype'.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:55 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Well, I think Vegas is "totally cool" and that statement comes from a 59 yr. old man! Yes, there is a lot of traffic and a lot of people, but there are several cities in the U.S. that have lots of traffic and lots of people! When my wife and I fly there to see her sister and her mother (they drive in from SoCal), my wife's sister seems to have a somewhat boring time b/c she doesn't gamble or drink at all........that is what the Strip is all about, the fun of gambling (hopefully winning some), drinking and going to Shows. The Vegas Strip and Downtown are for "party people"! If you aren't a "party person", Strip & Downtown will NOT be fun (or that much fun)!!
And, if you are a boater, WOW, what a lake.......Lake Mead!!
Shoot, wife and I are thinking about moving to Vegas next year. A big reason for that is b/c of Lake Mead.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Quote:
I'm not saying I disliked Vegas; quite the contrary, in fact I had fun there. All I'm saying is that this city gets entirely too much hype. If you look at what it is advertised to be versus what it actually is, there is just no way Vegas can live up to all the hype.

Isnt that how all cities are? i mean i live in Albuquerque, and honestly i dont know who would wanna move here, but it still continues to grow.. the point is... there is tons of fun stuff to do in a city, you just have to look in the right places. Vegas is mostly houses, mmm for miles and well you would probably still find great things to do, i love that center where there is a bunch of soccer fields and football fields, i cant remember where it was though

Old 09-26-2008, 12:55 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:

Not sure what ads you saw, but before I moved here I visited about 6/7 times. The ads I saw advertised-drinking, dancing, gambling, shows, pools, sexy things male and female, tours to places all mentioned above...that's the hype and I believe Vegas has all that.

Not trying to say you are not entitled to your opinion-you obviously just didn't care for it. Some don't. I enjoy the night life, so for me it can be fun. I realize others don't. But, the ads show what is here so if those things aren't someone's thing, then they should take heed and search out the ads that appeal to their interests.

Name somewhere that does live up to the hype-just for comparison sakes.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:11 PM

28 posts, read 96,915 times
San Diego.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:16 PM

28 posts, read 96,915 times
Also, admittedly the way I feel is derived from my own personality and tastes. I don't gamble, don't like big crowds, and not really a big partier. I guess what turns me off is that every 2nd or 3rd commercial you see on TV is an advertisement to come to Vegas; no other city that I know of has that big of an ad budget; nor do they try to shove it down your throat that their city is the place to be.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:02 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
I was scrolling down the general page and caught this thread.

I think it depends on why you go. If you go there for all the skanky sex you can get-- living out your dirtiest adolescent fantasie-- then you should come with money, because it's not free to get that. I don't understand the obsession with shows on the strip. If I want to pay $100 to see bare breasts bouncing around, I'll go to the nudie bar where it comes with a beer and some personal attention.

However, I thought the strip was great. I enjoyed the water show, the boats, the wax museum... basically all the scenery.

I took a tour to Hoover Dam. I wish I wouldn't have done that. Turns out... it's a big wall of cement and you have to pay another ten bucks to go inside... which wasn't very interesting to me. (However, I've watched documentaries and read about the dam, so I was bored because I knew everything that was being explained already.)

The double-decker bus was fun, as well as, the trains. I loved the one that went by the Hilton.

Food was awful until I discovered the old strip... then I was in heaven. If I ever go back to Las Vegas, I'm staying over there. The new strip was interesting, but plastic. The old strip had a nostalgic feel and the interiors over there were just beautiful.

I had a great time in Vegas... but I didn't go there to do anything that I didn't want anyone else to know about... so take it for what it's worth

Quote:
Why did you make it a point to go back and read all my previous posts?
Because stupid people resort to attacking your person rather than your argument. Don't worry too much about it... If you spend energy on half the idiots you run into in this life, you'll waste your whole life on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas