U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:36 AM

4 posts, read 18,305 times

Advertisements

Is Henderson, Las Vegas a nice safe place to live?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 08:59 AM

15,756 posts, read 36,559,417 times
Henderson is a nice middle class bedroom suburb of Las Vegas. It generally has good schools, low crime and is a nice place.

There are dozens of other such places in and around Las Vegas.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:17 PM

10 posts, read 40,029 times
Try Summerlin.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:13 AM

12,686 posts, read 34,944,230 times
Well, as much as I like to agree with Olecapt, I have to point out that Henderson is the second largest city in Nevada, not exactly a bedroom community. Fernley is a bedroom community of Reno, but Las Vegas doesn't have a bedroom community, unless Boulder City wants that title.

But, in answer to the OP's question: Yes, Henderson is a safe city to live in. Las Vegas, Henderson, and North Las Vegas are three cities in the Las Vegas metro area. It is hard to tell when you've crossed the city limits of one and entered the other one (hint: the street signs are a different color). But they do have separate city governments. To further confuse you, what isn't within one of the city limit boundaries is considered to be in the county, but we look at all of it it as one big continuous city. And if that wasn't bad enough, the planned community of Summerlin is half in the city of Las Vegas, and half in the county. You'll find a lot of people that have lived in a house or apartment for years trying to remember if they are in the city or the county.

Does anyone know if North Las Vegas is bigger than Reno now? If so Reno dropped from the largest city in the state when I came here, to the 4th largest.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:42 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,310,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Well, as much as I like to agree with Olecapt, I have to point out that Henderson is the second largest city in Nevada, not exactly a bedroom community. Fernley is a bedroom community of Reno, but Las Vegas doesn't have a bedroom community, unless Boulder City wants that title.

But, in answer to the OP's question: Yes, Henderson is a safe city to live in. Las Vegas, Henderson, and North Las Vegas are three cities in the Las Vegas metro area. It is hard to tell when you've crossed the city limits of one and entered the other one (hint: the street signs are a different color). But they do have separate city governments. To further confuse you, what isn't within one of the city limit boundaries is considered to be in the county, but we look at all of it it as one big continuous city. And if that wasn't bad enough, the planned community of Summerlin is half in the city of Las Vegas, and half in the county. You'll find a lot of people that have lived in a house or apartment for years trying to remember if they are in the city or the county.

Does anyone know if North Las Vegas is bigger than Reno now? If so Reno dropped from the largest city in the state when I came here, to the 4th largest.
Is there really a difference living in the County or the City?

Old 10-08-2008, 04:43 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,298,207 times
the county has different laws and you go to the county instead of the city when you have complaints or issues...you don't have a mayor, the county commission takes care of you instead...

Old 10-08-2008, 08:39 PM

15,756 posts, read 36,559,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Is there really a difference living in the County or the City?

County tends to be more permissive and libertarian.

On any given issue though it is hard to tell the difference.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:02 AM

34 posts, read 279,717 times
Is there a Las Vegas county? I thought it was in Clarke County. Also, is there a different county/school system for Henderson? My girlfriend is a teacher, does she just apply for Clarke county schools or are there others? Thanks.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:38 AM

116 posts, read 266,943 times
She should apply for CCSD, the district is huge and covers up to Mesquite, through Las Vegas, Summerlin, Henderson, Boulder City, N Las Vegas, etc. Check out their website.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:25 AM

12,686 posts, read 34,944,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldome View Post
Is there a Las Vegas county? I thought it was in Clarke County. Also, is there a different county/school system for Henderson? My girlfriend is a teacher, does she just apply for Clarke county schools or are there others? Thanks.
There is no Las Vegas County. Clark County (no 'e') is over 8,000 square miles ─ larger than Vermont or New Hampshire. The school district is Clark County School District or CCSD. It is the 5th largest school district in the U.S. I think that's both in size and student population. The Las Vegas Valley is where most of the population of the county lives, and then it is very long distances to any other towns with empty desert in between. Our counties don't have the congestion that they do in small eastern states where there is one little town after another a mile or so apart. Neighbors can be 50 miles apart. Within the Valley is Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, and a few townships that seem to have town boards but nobody has ever met a board member that I know of, let alone knowing what they do.

It doesn't matter too much where you are in the Las Vegas Valley, it all seems like one gigantic city without interruption, so we just mostly refer to it as Las Vegas unless there is a reason to distinguish. There are no hills, no trees, no streams, no wooded areas or farm land like you probably have. Just flat empty desert.

When applying to the CCSD it might be necessary to tell them you'll be living in Las Vegas or the Las Vegas Valley, otherwise they might offer her a job in the far reaches of the county which are way too far to commute. In other words, if you lived in Vermont on the Massachusetts border you wouldn't want to commute to a town on the Canadian border. Same difference. But she could work at any school in the Las Vegas Metro area and live anywhere in the area and the commute wouldn't be bad.

Here is an example of how big Clark County is. Laughlin is 95 miles south, and Mesquite is 80 miles north of Las Vegas, and you still aren't at the furthest reaches yet. And our nearest neighboring county (from Las Vegas) is 2¼ times as large as this one.

Clark County School District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas