Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 06:56 PM

289 posts, read 1,039,560 times

Advertisements

The cross-streets are N. Rainbow Blvd. and Smoke Ranch Rd., roughly a couple blocks east of the 95. I'm thinking of moving into the neighborhood. Here's the Mapquest:

http://tinyurl.com/2ts6jk (broken link)

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 08:50 PM

229 posts, read 814,549 times
I'm a native of Las Vegas, and in my opinion that area has been going downhill for over the last decade. There is a lot of police activity along Rainbow, from Cheyenne, South well past Smoke Ranch. There used to be a small police substation in one of the apartment complexes on Rainbow, just North of Smoke Ranch (I'm pretty sure it's gone, but the crime has remained). I spent almost ten years in that area, (it was never really safe) and it has been getting worse and worse. However, if your defintion of decent doesn't include crime, it's a great area: lots of shops, restaurants, and close freeway access.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:51 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Its fine. Middle middle class neighborhood. Good shopping...neighborhood sushi bar, movie BBQ grill all walkable. Enjoy.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:48 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times
Its a beautiful area, almost moved there, but can't afford the housing. There's especially a beautiful neighborhood called the Smoke Ranch, has a clubhouse with a pool and a tennis club. I loved the area because everything is within walking distance and easy access to public transportation. Your gonna deal with a lot of crime anywhere in Las Vegas.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:55 AM

9 posts, read 109,918 times
It is better than the average with alot of shopping, resturants and movies close by. IMHO the further west (and north or south) you can get the better your chances of picking a good location. I lived a few miles from there (to the east) and ended up feeling that i could not move away fast enough when when my neighborhood (Washington/Torrey Pines) started going downhill.
lvkewlkid is correct about crime being anywhere in Las Vegas, though. I have known of three people in my neighborhood who had their cars burglarized in the middle of the night, so car alarms are usually a good idea

Old 02-13-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyVegas View Post
It is better than the average with alot of shopping, resturants and movies close by. IMHO the further west (and north or south) you can get the better your chances of picking a good location. I lived a few miles from there (to the east) and ended up feeling that i could not move away fast enough when when my neighborhood (Washington/Torrey Pines) started going downhill.
lvkewlkid is correct about crime being anywhere in Las Vegas, though. I have known of three people in my neighborhood who had their cars burglarized in the middle of the night, so car alarms are usually a good idea
I agree with your points but I would also note that there is a cost factor. Go a couple of miles west and the price goes up 50K. Go five miles west and it goes up a 100K. That neighborhood is, I think, an unusually good tradeoff of quality and economics. It particularly is one of the few neighborhoods were you can actually walk to things.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:14 PM

6 posts, read 36,195 times
I moved to this area when it was new and nice back in 1989. It is not a great area anymore. The other side of Rainbow is better, and the more west you go, the better it is, and naturally, more expensive. I live not far from this area now in a home, and even my neighborhood is going downhill thanks to rental property homes in my neighborhood. I suggest trying the extreme southwest area (215 and Tropicana) insytead if possible.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeNevadan View Post
I moved to this area when it was new and nice back in 1989. It is not a great area anymore. The other side of Rainbow is better, and the more west you go, the better it is, and naturally, more expensive. I live not far from this area now in a home, and even my neighborhood is going downhill thanks to rental property homes in my neighborhood. I suggest trying the extreme southwest area (215 and Tropicana) insytead if possible.
You raise a good point. High rentals will damage a neighborhood. (An interesting comcept when you are a renter). However if the block is not high renter it is likely OK. Almost all of Desert Shores is quite nice for example...but there are a couple of high renter blocks that are less desirable.

215 and Trop is virtually all new...and expensive. Few if any rentals. Not, in my opinion, as nice as Desert Shores or north Summerlin or even most of Peccole Ranch.

The problem is that you have to compare places of equal cost...and that favors Smoke Ranch and Rainblow over most comparable neighborhoods.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:00 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,684,273 times
Also, 215 and Tropicana doesn't have nearly as much shopping as Rainbow and Lake Mead does, or easy access to downtown.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:41 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,668,016 times
I really don't think that area is any more crime ridden than the rest of Vegas in general and as others have said it has ALOT to offer in the way of convience. It offers lots of shopping, close freeway access, and has a bit more of a diverse urban feeling rather than the typical suburban sprawl that is so common here. I would say that it more than makes up for its lack of snob appeal in convience and I personally wouldn't be overly worried about the crime risk. I think its a nice area and the Smoke Ranch development itself is probably better than it has been in years due to a very proactive HOA and a larger percentage of owner occupied homes.
I also agree that Desert Shores is beautiful but they definately have their share of problems in there. I work and have lived in that area and its FAR from crime free. I would say anywhere in Vegas is a bit of a gamble b/c of the turnover rate and high percentage of rentals.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: