Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 12:28 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Im gonna guess about $8000 for the whole job. I see three palms, they would be like $200 each. The other plants would be from $5 to $50 each. Rocks are everywhere so youd basically only need to pay the costs to transport them to you. If they want too much, id drive out in the desert and take them myself where allowed. To dig a 5 feet pit would need a claw crane that scoops the dirt. Could take a couple days and cost a couple thousand. Then the cement would be another few thousand. Youd also need to pay for labor unless you do the work yourself. Hope this helps.
I'm praying that was a joke....

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 12:54 PM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
Quote:
Im gonna guess about $8000 for the whole job. I see three palms, they would be like $200 each. The other plants would be from $5 to $50 each. Rocks are everywhere so youd basically only need to pay the costs to transport them to you. If they want too much, id drive out in the desert and take them myself where allowed. To dig a 5 feet pit would need a claw crane that scoops the dirt. Could take a couple days and cost a couple thousand. Then the cement would be another few thousand. Youd also need to pay for labor unless you do the work yourself. Hope this helps.
Are you kidding? I hope so.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:14 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
$8000? I only wish that were true.

I googled it and I underestimated the cost. Minimum is $10k for a small simple pool to $40k for a huge complex pool with decorations. Can you break down the costs for each step and I will google and see if I can find a cheaper way? Sorry but $100k for a pool is very insane! Let me help make the cost reasonable

Old 02-13-2007, 01:32 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
Bob
Thanks for the info

Quote:
I googled it
Not to get off topic
but thats the problem
not everything can be found by googling the internet

Bob posted a well presented post on the cost breakdown
and considering that another poster recommended waiting for Bob to post
that would mean he has experience and knows what he is talking about.

I myself found the post helpful as we have kicked aroud the idea of putting in a pool, as well as have friends who have wondered about using the solar panels so I will be able to share his information

Old 02-13-2007, 02:01 PM

32 posts, read 621,062 times
Bob's estimate is about right, could be higher could be lower. I sent his response to my friend who has a pool building friend in Phoenix. The pool guy said that was about right.

once again thanks Bob!

Old 02-13-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I googled it and I underestimated the cost. Minimum is $10k for a small simple pool to $40k for a huge complex pool with decorations. Can you break down the costs for each step and I will google and see if I can find a cheaper way? Sorry but $100k for a pool is very insane! Let me help make the cost reasonable
Sure I can breakdown the costs. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I was the builder program superintendent for Anthony & Sylvan Pools in Las Vegas for two years, and ran their entire construction department there after that- I didn't just 'google" this info on the internet.

- Excavation- One machine, two trucks, one operator, two drivers, one laborer- a minimum of one day if there's room for a large machine to get into the yard- could be two days or more with a smaller machine. All of that costs around $2,500/day. BTW- I'm not sure what a "claw crane" is, but in Las Vegas, you don't just "scoop out dirt" with anything- you excavate soil or hammer rock.

- Plumbing- Something you didn't mention in your cost breakdown (I guess you were just building a Beverly Hillbillies "ce-ment pond")- approximately $700 in pipe, skimmers, valves, fittings, etc., two men for one day, and an equipment package that includes a filter, two pumps (not including the waterfall) and a 400,000 BTU gas heater for the spa. Total cost- around $6,000 (the heater alone is almost $3k)

- Reinforcing Steel- Around $800 in material, and one guy for a day- $1,300

- Electrical- Lights, wire, conduit, control panel, breakers, etc., and two man days- figure $2,500

- Shotcrete or gunite shell- Somewhere between 28 and 32 cubic yards of material at around $100/CY, a huge air compressor and pump, and a six man crew for 1/2 a day- that's an easy $5-6k

- Decking- Figure around 450-500 SF in that photo at $7-8/SF, so that's another $3.5-4k

- Pebbletec plaster job- Subbed out for around $5,000

Add for startup costs, supervision, and god forbid- overhead and profit, and you quickly see where that $40k comes from. Even without that (assuming you hired all of the work out yourself) you're around $30k+, as you won't get the same pricing from the subs that the pool builders do.

So you continue to "google" everything and be a fountain of mis-information, and I'll continue to operate in the world of reality. BTW- I'm scheduled for heart surgery next week and I hear that the bill is going to run around $150k- think you can "google" a solution for me for around $10k?

Bob

Old 02-13-2007, 02:12 PM

Bob estimated $90k for the whole job. If you want to pay that much, its your money. I cant believe it could cost so much, ive seen houses with pools for sale for $100k(obviously not in Las Vegas) so this makes me think the pool is a small part of the cost. Maybe you can do it yourself and save most of the money? As for the Palm trees, I can buy them(a bit smaller) here for $200 and they will grow fast. As for the rocks, I can get them free by finding my own. Have you considered an above ground pool? They are much, much cheaper. Im just trying to help because I think the costs you have been quoted is extremely insane. I have never in my life heard of anyone paying so much and I am concerned

Old 02-13-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Bob estimated $90k for the whole job. If you want to pay that much, its your money. I cant believe it could cost so much, ive seen houses with pools for sale for $100k(obviously not in Las Vegas) so this makes me think the pool is a small part of the cost. Maybe you can do it yourself and save most of the money? As for the Palm trees, I can buy them(a bit smaller) here for $200 and they will grow fast. As for the rocks, I can get them free by finding my own. Have you considered an above ground pool? They are much, much cheaper. Im just trying to help because I think the costs you have been quoted is extremely insane. I have never in my life heard of anyone paying so much and I am concerned
Sure, you can do an above ground pool in Las Vegas- you'd just need to replace the liner at least every year as the sun and heat would destroy it.

You can do "a pool" in Vegas for around $20k, given free and clear access to the yard, and no frills whatsoever- no spa, no decking, no waterfeature, etc. The $90k number was for a pool as shown in the photo and also included landscaping. If you think $100k for a pool/landscape package is insane, then Las Vegas must be the asylum- I built dozens of pools that topped out at $60-80k (with several over $100k and one at around $140k), and that didn't include landscaping. A lush landscaping job could run $80k by itself.

And of course you can find houses for $100k in other parts of the country- just not in any popular places or without wheels under them....lol

Bob

Old 02-13-2007, 02:21 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
"BTW- I'm scheduled for heart surgery next week"
Bob
sending healing thoughts and prayers for your surgery

Old 02-13-2007, 02:25 PM

How much would it cost to rent a machine per day? If I were making a pool, I would rather do the excavation work myself. $700 for plumbing is reasonable. The heater for the spa is optional, if you want to swim in the winter then yes you gotta pay up. Ok the $1300 for the reinforcing steel is reasonable. As for the electric, thats for the pool filter, right? Wow the price of concrete has gone way up it seems. I remember it being much cheaper.
Cant clay tiles be used for the decking? The cost is $1.50 per square foot tile. Wow the plaster job is sure expensive, is that for the lining on the surface of the pool? Cant you do it yourself or use tiles instead? Ive seen many pools with tiles on the sides and bottom. $90k is way too much, even $40k sounds too much. You can save alot by doing some of the work yourself and using different materials. Even using slightly smaller palm trees you save mucho.

What happened to your heart? I googled that and the costs in Canada is about half. Are you insured and how much are they willing to pay? Get well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas