Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We are an older couple (wife/60-me/59) who are living just north of Charlotte, NC. Been here 1 year this month and don't find the area nearly as interesting as we thought it would be. Moved here from the Denver, CO area....got tired of some pretty snowy/cold winters there (5 1/2 yrs). Wife got a descent paying job 3 months after we arrived here. I'm still looking for a job! The job market here for me is pretty lousy!
We visited Florida and it was just too hot and humid for us. And, due to my hip replacement and rotor cup/shoulder surgeries, can not live in snowy/cold weather again.
We have been to Vegas during the mid of summer and know just how hot it can get, BUT without the humidity, it would be better for us....we hope anyway. We have also been there a number of times in Dec during the National Finals Rodeo and LOVED being there.....I'm a former rodeo cowboy (but, PLEASE no bashing of rodeo in my Thread). We also love boating/fishing so we guess Lake Mead would be perfect for us? Part of my wife's family lives in So Calif, so that would be a close to drive from/to. We know that my wife would take at a pay cut moving there, but that would be ok. And, I would do ok finding a job fairly quickly. We also know that a number of Seniors live there, so we could make some friends. We are planning on a move in Jan 09 or a couple of months later.
So, to you folks living in Vegas, does it sound like Vegas would be a good move for us to make??? Thanks for any help/suggestions that can be provided.
Before this thread went off on a tangent you were asking about jobs and boating. Frankly, it won't be easy for you to get a job at your age anywhere, but it's not impossible, and maybe even easier here in your line of work. Finding one just might take a little more work. On the other hand you might just walk right into one, so don't let yourself have any negative thoughts. I don't know why your wife would have to take a pay cut here. I thought the south had the lowest pay of anywhere. I don't have the stats to show it, but I'd think our largest demographic is older people. I've lost count of the Sun Cities and other age restricted communities here. There are at least 2 million people around here that thought Las Vegas would be a good move to make, and it probably was for most of them regardless of the loud howling of those that didn't find what they were looking for. I'd think the weather would be good for you, but so would the weather in a few other southwest cities where it is dry and warm. One of the few things I don't like about Las Vegas is the dirty air. In this desert valley the air would be dirty if no one lived here. It's the nature of the desert.

As far as Lake Mead, I don't like water sports, and wouldn't have a boat if it was free, but over 44 years I've spent lots of time on the lake fishing, hunting, boating, and even a little skiing. Lake Mead is the largest man made lake in the western hemisphere with 550 miles of shoreline. Most of that shoreline is rugged and not really suitable for much camping, but there are sandy beaches reachable only by boat that people enjoy, and so do the rattlesnakes so use caution going out to pee in the middle of the night. I have done a lot of camping but I personally wouldn't sleep on the ground out there. I have slept on boats out there though, and have done a little night fishing along the shore. Fishing on Lake Mead is best done from boats fast enough to get across the lake in a hurry when you spot the strippers boiling...or is it broiling...or roiling? Anyway, fishing is usually good but best if you can get to the out of the way coves by boat. On weekends like the 4th of July you will find a sea of humanity on the lake. Normally it's over a quarter million people. In cooler months it's not so bad. You can fish 24/7/365. I used to hunt ducks and geese out there from boats. I don't hunt now, but I assume you still can unless that's another thing the Feds have ruined for everyone.

I don't know what size boat you have as far as towing, etc., but there are nice lakes all up and down the Colorado River besides Lake Mead, plus there are some beautiful mountain lakes in Utah not all that far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 10:17 PM

157 posts, read 560,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Before this thread went off on a tangent you were asking about jobs and boating. Frankly, it won't be easy for you to get a job at your age anywhere, but it's not impossible, and maybe even easier here in your line of work. Finding one just might take a little more work. On the other hand you might just walk right into one, so don't let yourself have any negative thoughts. I don't know why your wife would have to take a pay cut here. I thought the south had the lowest pay of anywhere. I don't have the stats to show it, but I'd think our largest demographic is older people. I've lost count of the Sun Cities and other age restricted communities here. There are at least 2 million people around here that thought Las Vegas would be a good move to make, and it probably was for most of them regardless of the loud howling of those that didn't find what they were looking for. I'd think the weather would be good for you, but so would the weather in a few other southwest cities where it is dry and warm. One of the few things I don't like about Las Vegas is the dirty air. In this desert valley the air would be dirty if no one lived here. It's the nature of the desert.

As far as Lake Mead, I don't like water sports, and wouldn't have a boat if it was free, but over 44 years I've spent lots of time on the lake fishing, hunting, boating, and even a little skiing. Lake Mead is the largest man made lake in the western hemisphere with 550 miles of shoreline. Most of that shoreline is rugged and not really suitable for much camping, but there are sandy beaches reachable only by boat that people enjoy, and so do the rattlesnakes so use caution going out to pee in the middle of the night. I have done a lot of camping but I personally wouldn't sleep on the ground out there. I have slept on boats out there though, and have done a little night fishing along the shore. Fishing on Lake Mead is best done from boats fast enough to get across the lake in a hurry when you spot the strippers boiling...or is it broiling...or roiling? Anyway, fishing is usually good but best if you can get to the out of the way coves by boat. On weekends like the 4th of July you will find a sea of humanity on the lake. Normally it's over a quarter million people. In cooler months it's not so bad. You can fish 24/7/365. I used to hunt ducks and geese out there from boats. I don't hunt now, but I assume you still can unless that's another thing the Feds have ruined for everyone.

I don't know what size boat you have as far as towing, etc., but there are nice lakes all up and down the Colorado River besides Lake Mead, plus there are some beautiful mountain lakes in Utah not all that far away.
Ok I am taking total offense at your statement hard to get a job at "your Age" i am going righ at 60 and have had 7 job offers in the past 3 months. Professional job offers all over the country. Why I ended up here i am second guessing but I am here and maybe I will stay maybe I will take another offer. It is not hard to get a job at "their age" Depends on what an employer is looking for. Years ago 61 was old. Now it is the new 41 and believe me I feel 41 and beat out 200 applicants 3 years ago for a VP job which did not last long since the company folded. By the way I was told the applicants were mainly in their 30's mid 40's and the management thought they were too young and did not have the maturity of someone who has a work ethic and does not think when a task is done, time to go home. How old are you anyway to think like this. We are not old, we are maturing adults with a heck of a lot of knowledge companies are dying to take advantage of. We do not have to worry about kids being sick, or have to skip work and go to a concert or something stupid like that. We are the work horses of this country bub and don't forget that.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:37 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,686,340 times
sounds fishy GoreeGal,

my father has finally got a 25 hr wk job at only 9 dollars an hour, he has been out of work for 9 months and this is his first job offer, it is definitely his age, he is 58...when he went on interviews, the companies didn't want to hire him because they said "we don't want to hire you because you could die from a heart attack and old employees are bad for our image", he also has 30 years of management experience, 25 of that owning and operating his own business, he was constantly told he was overqualified, no one wants an old person with experience who knows more than them to tell them what to do, that is what they are afraid of...

Old 10-21-2008, 01:38 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,686,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreeGal View Post
It was the one by the World Trade Building off Charleston. I meant the doors to individual stores. I did not know there was more than one.

I forgot to mention that someone also stole the garbage can in front of my house. A cheap 6 dollar can. Oh Well Welcome to Vegas.
we have 3 in the Las Vegas Metropolitan area, Las Vegas Premium Outlets at Grand Central/Charleston, the Las Vegas Outlet Center, by my house and LVBS and Warm Springs and the Fashion Outlets of Las Vegas down in Primm...

Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,473,542 times
Quote:
Maybe you're getting what you expected to get. I'll tell you what a guy told me when I complained about Albuquerque like you are complaining about Las Vegas. It isn't better or worse than where you're from, it's just different. Most of us don't have the problems that you say your having so maybe you are unconsciously looking for trouble so that if you leave you'll be able to blame your failures on Las Vegas. We see it with all the Vegas bashers on here everyday. If you work you see it in the workplace everyday. People spreading generalities about how bad the company - boss- co-workers- customers are. My advise...chill. Sit back and enjoy the ride. It's a great place to live. See those people that bug you with the curiosity of watching a circus instead of with contempt, and you'll start laughing about it instead of letting it ruin your life. But keep in mind one thing when you see rude people. They mostly came from the northeast and other areas, and brought the same aggressive, nasty, rude attitudes of places like New York and New Jersey with them. Rude drivers are everywhere, but the rudest drivers in this country are in the east and south. You are making yourself sound like one of "them", when we all know you are really a nice person from previous postings.
Kudos to you, nice post Buzz my love, nicely said.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 PM

157 posts, read 560,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
sounds fishy GoreeGal,

my father has finally got a 25 hr wk job at only 9 dollars an hour, he has been out of work for 9 months and this is his first job offer, it is definitely his age, he is 58...when he went on interviews, the companies didn't want to hire him because they said "we don't want to hire you because you could die from a heart attack and old employees are bad for our image", he also has 30 years of management experience, 25 of that owning and operating his own business, he was constantly told he was overqualified, no one wants an old person with experience who knows more than them to tell them what to do, that is what they are afraid of...
I can't believe an employer would risk an age discrimination law suit telling a prospective employee he is old. Tell your dad to find an attorney and he might never have to work again. What was said to him is totally illegal I know from the Federal Level I would hope from the state level also.

Also Buzz that comment was excellent about complaining people. I am one of those and now I see how stupid I was. Job Well Done

Old 10-23-2008, 12:39 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoreeGal View Post
OK I am taking total offense at your statement hard to get a job at "your Age" i am going right at 60 and have had 7 job offers in the past 3 months. Professional job offers all over the country. Why I ended up here i am second guessing but I am here and maybe I will stay maybe I will take another offer. It is not hard to get a job at "their age" Depends on what an employer is looking for. Years ago 61 was old. Now it is the new 41 and believe me I feel 41 and beat out 200 applicants 3 years ago for a VP job which did not last long since the company folded. By the way I was told the applicants were mainly in their 30's mid 40's and the management thought they were too young and did not have the maturity of someone who has a work ethic and does not think when a task is done, time to go home. How old are you anyway to think like this. We are not old, we are maturing adults with a heck of a lot of knowledge companies are dying to take advantage of. We do not have to worry about kids being sick, or have to skip work and go to a concert or something stupid like that. We are the work horses of this country bub and don't forget that.
You're preaching to the choir. I'm older than you, and I have experienced age discrimination at a much younger age. I was prematurely gray and always had to put up with the insults about my age. In fact at age 30 I was told by a guy in an employment agency that I was too old to change careers. I walked out and changed careers. Of course I eventually went back to the old career because it was a lot more fun, but that's beside the point. At age 50 I had a really hard time too, and was told a lot of the things the kid is saying. It's usually not easy for people over 50, and you have been lucky. Of course you make your own luck, so I'm sure you've got the right stuff for whatever you do.

Now when I was hiring I hired people who were mature because they were always more dependable. I also worked in the State of Nevada Employment Security Division and saw a lot of "mature" people I was trying to help discriminated against. Employers are more often than not incredibly stupid in the things they do and say when hiring, so believe what the kid is saying. The problem is proving it. It is my opinion that the Feds only give lip service to age discrimination laws anyway. Look around you. Do you ever see any old or ugly, or male, cocktail waitresses ─ oops, I mean servers?

It's very common to be discriminated against because of your age. When they say you're over qualified they mean they don't want you because you are older than they are and they are uncomfortable around older people. Besides you probably know more than they do and they're afraid you will take their jobs.

Now don't you just hate it when people give you the senior discount without your asking for it? Ha. I do. I ask them that if I'm a senior citizen does that make them a junior citizen?

Old 10-23-2008, 02:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
You're preaching to the choir. I'm older than you, and I have experienced age discrimination at a much younger age. I was prematurely gray and always had to put up with the insults about my age. In fact at age 30 I was told by a guy in an employment agency that I was too old to change careers. I walked out and changed careers.
This is interesting to hear from your perspective.

I've always looked MUCH YOUNGER than my age. I'm 38, and look like I'm in my 20s. When I was 30, I looked like a college kid, and when I was a college kid, I looked like a High School kid.

So most of my life I've always had treat me as if I was MUCH younger with MUCH less experience than I actually have. I can recall times in my early 30s when I had supervisory-types of roles, and have people much younger seem to look at me as if 'wow, here is this younger kid projecting much more authority, I wonder how is able to do that at his young age'.

Anyways, your post made me reflect back on that aspect of myself (although probably in the exact OPPOSITE of yourself).

Old 10-23-2008, 08:50 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Quote:
Do you ever see any old or ugly, or male, cocktail waitresses ─ oops, I mean servers?

All the time. Lots of them on the Strip. Amazes me actually. The only thing I can think is that these folks started when they were much younger and don't want to give up the dough. They can't really fire them, right?

Old 10-23-2008, 05:23 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,227 times
Quote:
Do you ever see any old or ugly, or male, cocktail waitresses ─ oops, I mean servers?
Check Fremont Street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas