Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:40 PM

2 posts, read 11,120 times

Advertisements

jdnkasncnjsdkncknckxncnm,zxzc

Old 02-02-2009, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 11,120 times
:tape :

Old 02-02-2009, 05:54 PM

162 posts, read 466,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden109 View Post
jdnkasncnjsdkncknckxncnm,zxzc

Can we get a mod to remove this user please?

Old 02-03-2009, 04:25 PM

150 posts, read 635,129 times
Default NW area of town

In the Northwest part of town, not to scare people, but I have seen more than a fair share of bark scorpions (inside and outside). Over 2 years, 4 or 5 got in the house.

AsI walk the area, I have seen them on peoples walls in the evenings and on the sides of houses in the evenings (mostly in the spring and sumer). Maybe everyone is not looking enough and they are pretty small and easily missed if you are not looking carefully.

They show up alot in new construction due to the rocks and palms coming in. Killing bugs is a good way to drive them to another house as they like to eat bugs.

I have also seen what are called tarantula hawks. Kind like ants on steroids with large orange wings. They say these will not kill you if they sting you but it hurts so bad you wish it would. They put their sting pain on a 10 out of 10.

no snakes, etc.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:41 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,127,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasResident View Post
In the Northwest part of town, not to scare people, but I have seen more than a fair share of bark scorpions (inside and outside). Over 2 years, 4 or 5 got in the house.

AsI walk the area, I have seen them on peoples walls in the evenings and on the sides of houses in the evenings (mostly in the spring and sumer). Maybe everyone is not looking enough and they are pretty small and easily missed if you are not looking carefully.

They show up alot in new construction due to the rocks and palms coming in. Killing bugs is a good way to drive them to another house as they like to eat bugs.

I have also seen what are called tarantula hawks. Kind like ants on steroids with large orange wings. They say these will not kill you if they sting you but it hurts so bad you wish it would. They put their sting pain on a 10 out of 10.

no snakes, etc.
Bark scorpions are relatively rare. If you see one their are certainly more. But seeing one does not mean there will be any 100 yards away.

I would not expect to ever see one in daylight. You are seeing something else. They are nocturnal. If you think you have them hunt with a bliack light. They are reasonably obvious if present.

"Tanantula Hawks" are pretty much a fiction. They exist only where there are reasonable Tanrantula populatons. I have never seen one or heard of one in Las Vegas. If they exist it will be in the open desert.

I would hunt around Gabbs...

Old 02-04-2009, 11:11 AM

90 posts, read 316,038 times
I have to say the only scorpions I ever saw were when we were out in the desert turning over rocks to find things (like scorpions) to show my son. Never one in the house or even in the yard. My parents used to live in eastern Oklahoma and they had small scorpions in the house all the time - that was because there were a lot of crickets around which were the food of choice for that species of scorpion. The main things you have to worry about in the house are ants and spiders. If you have someone come around on a regular schedule to spray for ants/bugs, you likely won't have any scorpions. We saw the "tarantula hawks" but they only look/sound menacing - they aren't any worse than other wasps - leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. Your standard yellow jackets are the worst when it comes to stinging, and those are pretty much nationwide, not unique to LV. We rarely had mosquitoes, but then we had desert landscaping, not a lush lawn, and watered frugally. We have far more creepy crawlies here in Ohio than they do in LV. Funny about the tarantula hawks - we never saw a tarantula when we were in LV, not even out in the desert - kind of disappointing actually :-)

Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,127,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca40 View Post
I have to say the only scorpions I ever saw were when we were out in the desert turning over rocks to find things (like scorpions) to show my son. Never one in the house or even in the yard. My parents used to live in eastern Oklahoma and they had small scorpions in the house all the time - that was because there were a lot of crickets around which were the food of choice for that species of scorpion. The main things you have to worry about in the house are ants and spiders. If you have someone come around on a regular schedule to spray for ants/bugs, you likely won't have any scorpions. We saw the "tarantula hawks" but they only look/sound menacing - they aren't any worse than other wasps - leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. Your standard yellow jackets are the worst when it comes to stinging, and those are pretty much nationwide, not unique to LV. We rarely had mosquitoes, but then we had desert landscaping, not a lush lawn, and watered frugally. We have far more creepy crawlies here in Ohio than they do in LV. Funny about the tarantula hawks - we never saw a tarantula when we were in LV, not even out in the desert - kind of disappointing actually :-)
Very few tarantulas. You got to get out into the desert to really find any. There are areas in the desert where they can be found but I don't think there are any significant concentrations in Clark County.

You can find snakes but you really need to look. Up into the mountains.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:19 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,446,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
You can find snakes but you really need to look. Up into the mountains.
...or in the LV Chat Thread. There you will find an Alabama Black Snake.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,931,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
...or in the LV Chat Thread. There you will find an Alabama Black Snake.
yes you will and i believe it is native to Birmingham

Old 02-05-2009, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 43,870 times
Anyone know anything about centipedes? I cought one last night and plan to keep it as pet. its kinda big, its got 38 legs. but yeah, if you or anyone that you know that has some info. on these krayzie things. let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas