Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:53 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,496,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Again, two of the main reasons for living in Las Vegas is almost no humidity at all, and very, very few pests...except for the tourists.
sigh...I wish our mice would start contributing...so that we wouldn't have to pay NYS income tax!

Old 10-09-2007, 01:48 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times
Default Scorpion bite!!

I got bit tonight twice by a Scorpion! Very Painful but 2 hours later and i'm still here so i guess i'm not allergic? Anyway this damn Scorpion was on my couch! I was watching TV and i felt a nasty pain in my wrist, then when i looked i saw him try to shake him off and boom he stung me again, then he hid deep in the couch , we spent two hours hunting the couch for him. I ended up spraying under the bottom of the couch and he came out half dead! I have him in a Jar.

We lived in this house for 3 years, 1st time we ever had a scorpion though. I'm still in some pain.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:49 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Yeah, the lizards are fun to watch doing push ups on the hot rocks. They don't hurt anything and probably are doing a good service eating bugs. We had one that got into the garage and somehow fell in a bucket and couldn't get out. I found him by following the smell. Yuck.

We saw a Gila Monster out at the Valley of Fire one time. Don't think the environment around town is right for them though so not to worry. Besides I understand you'd have to be pretty dumb to be poisoned by one since they have to get hold of a finger and chew on it to poison you.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:51 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
I got bit tonight twice by a Scorpion! Very Painful but 2 hours later and i'm still here so i guess i'm not allergic? Anyway this damn Scorpion was on my couch! I was watching TV and i felt a nasty pain in my wrist, then when i looked i saw him try to shake him off and boom he stung me again, then he hid deep in the couch , we spent two hours hunting the couch for him. I ended up spraying under the bottom of the couch and he came out half dead! I have him in a Jar.

We lived in this house for 3 years, 1st time we ever had a scorpion though. I'm still in some pain.
Dang, I hope you're all right. And I hope they aren't suddenly making a come back in Las Vegas. I haven't heard of anyone being bitten and haven't even seen one for years.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times
Default Scorpions

Thanks! Well now its about 3 hours since the stings and i'm in alot of pain, but no breathing issues. Even though i found him i dont want to go sit on the couch. If it happened outdoors then i would be ok, but in the house? Thats wild! I hope theres only one in our home!

Quote:
Dang, I hope you're all right. And I hope they aren't suddenly making a come back in Las Vegas. I haven't heard of anyone being bitten and haven't even seen one for years.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:05 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
yeah, i miss the lizards 2...they took care of all the crickets 4 me

where did you live in LA? sounds a lot like where i was (altadena).
Nope, wasn't L.A. It was an hour east of L.A on the edge of Riverside, in the boonies near Box spring mountain. Closer to Moreno Valley.
Went out for a visit not long ago and it hasn't changed too much. Alot of new homes out there, but the same rugged desert wilderness more or less.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:51 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Thanks! Well now its about 3 hours since the stings and i'm in alot of pain, but no breathing issues. Even though i found him i dont want to go sit on the couch. If it happened outdoors then i would be ok, but in the house? Thats wild! I hope theres only one in our home!

Get a black light and go hunting. Both inside and out. They come out in the dark and floresce. We find a few in perhaps every 100th house. Get caught in the sink and can't get out. Infestations are normally local. Clean out the hiding places and they are gone.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:26 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Yeah, the lizards are fun to watch doing push ups on the hot rocks. They don't hurt anything and probably are doing a good service eating bugs. We had one that got into the garage and somehow fell in a bucket and couldn't get out. I found him by following the smell. Yuck.

We saw a Gila Monster out at the Valley of Fire one time. Don't think the environment around town is right for them though so not to worry. Besides I understand you'd have to be pretty dumb to be poisoned by one since they have to get hold of a finger and chew on it to poison you.
Saw one out there myself......but I"m with you.....they're more scared then we are.....and if ya chase one down...well.....you deserve what you get lol

Old 10-09-2007, 11:22 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Nope, wasn't L.A. It was an hour east of L.A on the edge of Riverside, in the boonies near Box spring mountain. Closer to Moreno Valley.
Went out for a visit not long ago and it hasn't changed too much. Alot of new homes out there, but the same rugged desert wilderness more or less.
hmmm...never made it out there. always wanted to though (i had a buddy who went to UC Riverside...said there was some good wilderness)

Old 10-09-2007, 11:55 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
When I was in basic training in San Antonio about a hundred years ago.....we caught a scorpion.....put him in a mason jar.....stuck a cigarette [unlite] down into the jar and drew it back immediately......had 20 punctures in the cigarette......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas