Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:36 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,462,263 times

Advertisements

If you have a bad scorpion problem, the best thing to do is use Diatomaceous Earth, which can be bought at Home Depot. It is used to clean pools. It has fine particals of glass, which will cut up the scorpions body, and kill them. It is a dust and you just place it around the home. Also make sure that if you have palm trees around you, you need to keep them shaven, because they like to hide in there. My husband and I own our own pest control company, and we do scorpion inspections with a black light, and kill all the scorpions that we find. When you find were the most activity is seen, it helps you figure out where the problem is coming from.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:45 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
My husband and I own our own pest control company, and we do scorpion inspections with a black light, and kill all the scorpions that we find.
Yes, but aren't those only the ones that are smoking dope and listening to the Jimi Hendrix 'Are You Experienced?' album?

Old 12-17-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Yes, but aren't those only the ones that are smoking dope and listening to the Jimi Hendrix 'Are You Experienced?' album?
Sorry, Jimmy Hendrix is before our time. And we are a family company with no dope! Your thinking of the old timers that didnt think about using personal protection and breathed in too many chemical fumes!

Old 12-17-2007, 05:38 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,402,699 times
I know this is the Las Vegas Forum but I'm moving to northern Nevada below Winnemucca about 3900 ft elavation do these same tactics and remedies work for that area also, will I have to be as concerned about the scorpians as in the hotter area's?

Old 12-17-2007, 06:26 PM

The tactics and remedies can be used for any scorpions. Not sure about Winnemucca, I have never been there, Sorry.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,109,054 times
It is unlikely. The things are pretty much an AZ bug that get imported in particularly palm trees. Not very many of those around Winemucca.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Also make sure that if you have palm trees around you, you need to keep them shaven, because they like to hide in there.
Of course, here in upstate NY, we have neither palm trees, nor scorpions. We do, however, have bushes and termites...so, we advise all to keep their bushes shaven, as their are some termites that like to hide there.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:07 PM

11 posts, read 36,199 times
Default Depends on your definition of 'problem'

OK, I gotta chime in, as I have some experience here...I too live on Frenchman Mountain, and in the past 3 years have seen probably approaching 200 of the little darlings. In our house, we have racked up about 15 stings on humans, 3 on cats (all survived). Our neighbors are part of the fun, too.

1. The pain level depends on a few factors. They are able to control the amount of venom they spew, and the adults are better at loosing smaller amounts per sting (probably learn to conserve in case they need to continue an attack). The babies really hurt, and by hurt, let me draw a picture: a sting with a good payload at first feels like a pin prick...wait 5-10 seconds, and the pin prick starts to spread, maybe an inch every three seconds. Within a minute, the sharp pain becomes an intense burn, kind of feels like that sharp tingle you get when your arm falls asleep but hasn't gone numb yet (like having your arm covered in thumbtacks), with a strong focus on the 1 inch area of penetration...the fire spreads, and there seems to be a lot of variance in how far. I've had it spread from my foot to my thigh. The length of pain is also a big variable, anywhere from an hour to a day (longest I've seen for continual pain was about 24 hours).

2. Control is a massive pain...we are several thousand $$ into home renovations to help fix the problem (grass removal, stucco repair, crack sealing, etc). We are on our third exterminator; we no longer see roaches or crickets, but hasn't put a dent in the scorpion population. It is almost impossible to seal an old house up tight enough to keep them out; they can get in through amazingly small spaces...we have it now where we only see small ones indoors, but as I've mentioned, they really pack a wallop, and they are harder to see. Next step: palm tree removal.

3. Sticky traps are useful...keep them close to doors and windows and against runner boards (they head towards walls when scared). Keep a good, strong blacklight handy, and have yourself a nighttime smashy-crunchy party every once in a while. Very satisfying to hear the crunch once you've been stung a few times. They love large rocks, palm trees, anything they can hide under. They are fantastic climbers, and match just about everything in this bloody desert. They really really love to sleep under clothes and towels on the floor...big problem with young children. Shake anything VERY HARD (they have great grip, I've had them stick to a shirt through a firm shaking before, which led to a nasty sting) before you handle it or put it on, and wack your shoes together before you put them on.

4. A trick we learned to slow the spread of the poison: once you do your five count and the sharp pain turns to burning (the scorpion-or-thorn litmus test), we find an antihistamine chewed up and placed under the toungue will often slow/stop the spread of the neurotoxin (won't help with the areas already affected, though).

5. Youngest child I've seen stung is 8, although my neighbors said their 4 year old was stung. Other than the horrible pain, the biggest danger is allergic reaction (caveat: I'm not an MD...that was the advice from LV poison control)...watch for numbness of the face, slurred speech, tiredness, dry mouth, misc allergic reaction stuff, I suppose. Occassionally it will lead to 'wandering eyes' which is weird, but I don't think any kind of danger...it goes away in a few hours or a day at most. If in doubt, head to the hospital.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to consolidate some of my joyful experiences. Hope this helps someone.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:30 AM

Wow, great info on Scorpions! Now, do you have hints on dealing with Sagittarians...my wife's birthday is on Friday.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:10 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,030,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Of course, here in upstate NY, we have neither palm trees, nor scorpions. We do, however, have bushes and termites...so, we advise all to keep their bushes shaven, as their are some termites that like to hide there.

Shaved bushes....with termites.....there's GOTTA be another thread lurkin in there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas