Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:43 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,666,553 times

Advertisements

Lexusman: This place can chew you up, and spit you out, if you're not balanced. Your mileage may vary.

If you guys want to see a funny series of videos, check out McCain's Brain. Here's the link to the first of a series of six.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I watched it, it was not funny at all. It shouldn't be labeled under funny videos, but under videos that should be burned.
Sorry Pinkie - I should have warned all. Unfortunately it exactly fit the context.

On the subject - I can't really figure out where Las Vegas actually resides on suicides. Nevada is presently and historically bad. However the result that everyone cites on Las Vegas is busted. The same old problem of Clark County occurences with City of Las Vegas populations. There was a study reported a ways back that said the gambling cities were bad...but it was pretty well refuted as being incorrectly done.

NV also always has the problem of being highly urban though mostly empty. Most everybody lives in the two moetros with less than 10% of the state population elsewhere. That leads to Nevada looking like a single city rather than the varying communities of most other states. The suicide rate however is historically high in rural Nevada which adds to the statistical problems on suicide. I guess it comes with being a libertarian state.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:22 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,369 times
I think a lot of people who off themselves here are people who moved from another place thinking that thier life would be better here. When they realize relocating did not help any of thier problems, this becomes the final destination.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:56 PM

471 posts, read 625,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
I think a lot of people who off themselves here are people who moved from another place thinking that thier life would be better here. When they realize relocating did not help any of thier problems, this becomes the final destination.

WOW that was profound I DEFINATELY think this the correct answer.

But I mean my problems are Vegas' strengths.

So nightlife, entertainment, good food, pretty women is what I want so Im PRAYING Las Vegas can provide this for me like it has on my vacations to LV.

I'm not saying this is my last hope...but if for some reason las Vegas has changed and it is not fun and the girls have become ugly, and the restaurants aren't good anymore then that would be tough to swallow.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:14 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusman199 View Post
WOW that was profound I DEFINATELY think this the correct answer.

But I mean my problems are Vegas' strengths.

So nightlife, entertainment, good food, pretty women is what I want so Im PRAYING Las Vegas can provide this for me like it has on my vacations to LV.

I'm not saying this is my last hope...but if for some reason las Vegas has changed and it is not fun and the girls have become ugly, and the restaurants aren't good anymore then that would be tough to swallow.
I think it depends on the eyes you are looking through at the time. One day it could look great, next day-not so much.

Thing is, it will not SOLVE any problems you have. YOU have to do that.

Can provide diversions to your current situation, but remember when you get here and start living-THAT will be your new current situation. Inner problems remain with you unless dealt with-no matter where you run.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:22 PM

471 posts, read 625,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I think it depends on the eyes you are looking through at the time. One day it could look great, next day-not so much.

Thing is, it will not SOLVE any problems you have. YOU have to do that.

Can provide diversions to your current situation, but remember when you get here and start living-THAT will be your new current situation. Inner problems remain with you unless dealt with-no matter where you run.

I see your point but I don't know if it is that deep for me. I just want to have fun and since vegas has been fun for me times I have visited I think I will be happy. Ofcourse there will be good and bad days but that's anywhere. I just want to have a good time and enjoy my life (in moderation ofcourse) and I believe vegas can do this for me.

When I visited the girls were prettier than I'd EVER seen outside a magazine LOL, I had never eaten tastier food, and I had never been happier IN MY LIFE.

so as long as vegas still has great restaurants, fun shows, awesome nghtlife, pretty girls etc I'm sure I'll look beyond the daily annoyances of everday life (laundry etc) and be happy in LV

My 2 cents

Old 11-09-2008, 09:48 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusman199 View Post
I see your point but I don't know if it is that deep for me. I just want to have fun and since vegas has been fun for me times I have visited I think I will be happy. Ofcourse there will be good and bad days but that's anywhere. I just want to have a good time and enjoy my life (in moderation ofcourse) and I believe vegas can do this for me.

When I visited the girls were prettier than I'd EVER seen outside a magazine LOL, I had never eaten tastier food, and I had never been happier IN MY LIFE.

so as long as vegas still has great restaurants, fun shows, awesome nghtlife, pretty girls etc I'm sure I'll look beyond the daily annoyances of everday life (laundry etc) and be happy in LV

My 2 cents
How about embarking upon a spiritual quest? Perhaps addressing an emptiness that is within you?

LV will probably get old after awhile...I think you're searching for something deeper and I fear you may not find it there.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:49 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
I believe one of the many factors that explains the high rate of suicide in Las Vegas is the high male sex ratio. Las Vegas has one of the highest ratios of single males to females in the United States. When you have such a large surplus of males, some will be unable to find a partner and will become very depressed.

In fact the entire Western U.S leads the country in per capita suicide and is the only region with more men than women. I don't think it's a coincidence. That would explain things more than the common excuse of "rugged individualism".

Old 11-26-2008, 04:16 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I believe one of the many factors that explains the high rate of suicide in Las Vegas is the high male sex ratio. Las Vegas has one of the highest ratios of single males to females in the United States. When you have such a large surplus of males, some will be unable to find a partner and will become very depressed.

In fact the entire Western U.S leads the country in per capita suicide and is the only region with more men than women. I don't think it's a coincidence. That would explain things more than the common excuse of "rugged individualism".
It is not very far out of whack and tends to be more true in the rurals.

It may well be that female population is less for the same reasons that suicides are more. Women avoid difficult places?

Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM

328 posts, read 726,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I believe suicide is a personal thing based on how strong an individual can be. Should not really have anything to do with your area or surroundings. If I can make it through Iraq 3 seperate times, anyone can make it through anywhere in the states.
Thank you for going to Iraq. My son-in-law was there 6 years ago and will be going back this Feb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas