Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:12 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times

Advertisements

Why do you think the Suicide Rate in Las Vegas is so high?

Because of the constant questions like the one above.....

Old 11-29-2008, 01:36 PM

115 posts, read 174,735 times
I believe suicide is a personal thing based on how strong an individual can be. Should not really have anything to do with your area or surroundings. If I can make it through Iraq 3 seperate times, anyone can make it through anywhere in the states.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i respect ur service and everything but

hmm maybe you were raised in a priviledged wealthy area and going to a place like Iraq, you are on a mission and u get to go back to ur comfort in ur nice neighborhood.

You know u will be away from that place, therefore its less depressing. Its VERY important for where someone lives since they are there day to day and it can mean life and death, thriving or rotting, messing up in life there or not messing up somewhere else.

You are not in someone's head, so how can u even judge what someone is going through?

Honestly u sounded ridiculously thoughtless and pompous to speak like that.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:39 PM

115 posts, read 174,735 times
nah all of u are wrong being in a certain place can HELP someone's problems or stimulate them into positive action. For some, it doesnt work, for others there life chnaged for the good in a way that couldnt happen where they were before. Look at the MILLIONS of humans who have migrated inour history.

I want to see if you still think this if you lived in a project in the south bronx vs a nice mansion in california.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:37 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherewillitland View Post
nah all of u are wrong being in a certain place can HELP someone's problems or stimulate them into positive action. For some, it doesnt work, for others there life chnaged for the good in a way that couldnt happen where they were before. Look at the MILLIONS of humans who have migrated inour history.

I want to see if you still think this if you lived in a project in the south bronx vs a nice mansion in california.

There are many people who become successful from the Bronx and many people in mansions that are suicidal messes. I think that backs up the point you are trying to refute.

Point was that some people are strong enough to realize they are not in a good space and get out of it. Those that are not, would not make it in either place.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:33 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I believe one of the many factors that explains the high rate of suicide in Las Vegas is the high male sex ratio. Las Vegas has one of the highest ratios of single males to females in the United States. When you have such a large surplus of males, some will be unable to find a partner and will become very depressed.

In fact the entire Western U.S leads the country in per capita suicide and is the only region with more men than women. I don't think it's a coincidence. That would explain things more than the common excuse of "rugged individualism".
Great observation. This could explain why Denver, which has more men than women, has such a high suicide rate.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:41 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
Great observation. This could explain why Denver, which has more men than women, has such a high suicide rate.
Except that it is not true. The imbalance is less than 1%,

Old 12-01-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Except that it is not true. The imbalance is less than 1%,
I also forgot to add that it is something I like to call the "Paradise Syndrome" (I'll try to figure out a better word). Many people go to places like Denver and Las Vegas seeking some sort of paradise, where all their dreams will be fulfilled. But that never ends up being the case, as a result many fall into depression and suicide, mostly males. Research has shown men are more likely to commit suicide, whereas women attempt it more but don't complete it.

Also, on this board, I read the suicide rate is thanks to the gambling. Many people go to Nevada for the gambling, put their all into winning it big, end up losing it all, and then kill themselves.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:05 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
To the OP: it's almost like you answered your question in your first post. I would not recommend going anywhere (particularly LV) to make new friends, have fun and find a GF. People should have a reason for moving to LV, just as they have a reason for moving anywhere. If you read these forums, you'll notice strong recommendations towards having employment lined up or very strong leads BEFORE making the move.

I agree fully with the above post. People need to think of LV as another city/metro area just like any other. Do not expect it to be a paradise or panacea. It would make sense that some people move there with high hopes, end up having those hopes unfulfilled and then get down on themselves. This can lead to increased rates of suicide. Throw in the gambling, prostitution and other sins/vices (which certainly are not unique to Vegas) and one can imagine that the area has an above average suicide rate. FYI, I've heard it's not the best place for dating/forming relationships from a Male's point of view as the numbers favor Women.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:12 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
I also forgot to add that it is something I like to call the "Paradise Syndrome" (I'll try to figure out a better word). Many people go to places like Denver and Las Vegas seeking some sort of paradise, where all their dreams will be fulfilled. But that never ends up being the case, as a result many fall into depression and suicide, mostly males. Research has shown men are more likely to commit suicide, whereas women attempt it more but don't complete it.

Also, on this board, I read the suicide rate is thanks to the gambling. Many people go to Nevada for the gambling, put their all into winning it big, end up losing it all, and then kill themselves.
Suicide is common in unpopulated areas. The rurals of Nevada have higher suicide rates than does Las Vegas. I doubt anyone ever went to Battle Mountain or Elko or such for "paradise"...but the still off themselves.

There was a heated exchange of scientific papers aways back about the impact of gambling on the suicide rate. I think the gambling interest did a pretty good job of proving it was not so.

High suicide rate is a SW thing. and all the SW has it.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:29 PM

Yeah LIS123, people do need to think of Las Vegas as any other city. Reading the posts on this forum has helped me understand that Las Vegas is basically like any other city with ups and downs, and I shouldn't view it the way advertisers want me to view it. Unfortunately, most people will always look at the glitz and glamor on the big screen and end up being sorely disappointed.

To olecapt, can you tell me why suicide is a southwest thing? Is it because the southwest was, to a significant degree, originally settled or populated by individuals and not large groups of people like in the east coast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas