Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 37,014 times

Advertisements

There are two brown recluse spiders that are native to the desert SW: L.deserta and L.arizonica.

In the summer, Las Vegas emergency rooms get 2 to 3 brown recluse bite victims a week. (Brown Recluse Spider :: Brown Recluse Spider Bite Treatment :: Testimonials Scroll down to General Information).

I know a number of people here in Vegas who have been bit by the brown recluse.

Do your research before answering questions, people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:14 PM

367 posts, read 817,556 times
I didn't see a recluse for my year in Las Vegas. When I lived in Mississippi and Missouri and Virginia, I'd find at least one in the tub or on a wall at once a week. I actually only saw one Black Widow (in a friend's garage) and never spotted a scorpion.

While we may have recluses in LV, it isn't the big problem it is in other parts of the country, based upon personal experience.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnahs55 View Post
There are two brown recluse spiders that are native to the desert SW: L.deserta and L.arizonica.

In the summer, Las Vegas emergency rooms get 2 to 3 brown recluse bite victims a week. (Brown Recluse Spider :: Brown Recluse Spider Bite Treatment :: Testimonials Scroll down to General Information).

I know a number of people here in Vegas who have been bit by the brown recluse.

Do your research before answering questions, people.
You are wrong. The brown recluse does not live in Las Vegas except perhaps as a transient.

Not only that you should do your research. Particularly before such a pompous post.

See

UCR Spiders Site: Myth of the Brown Recluse

Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 PM

116 posts, read 409,046 times
Yes there is recluse spiders here.I got bit by one 15 years ago and it wasnt any fun.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:23 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
he's dead by now brascat

Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 17,784 times
well sorry I have killed them in my yard and around the house. I know AZ has them because I have been bitten twice by them. I look for them for that very reason. They are not afraid to be close to the black widows. Sorry but like I said I go out around 11 pm or so and look for all spiders. Some I do not kill they have a reason to be here.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrlasvegas View Post
well sorry I have killed them in my yard and around the house. I know AZ has them because I have been bitten twice by them. I look for them for that very reason. They are not afraid to be close to the black widows. Sorry but like I said I go out around 11 pm or so and look for all spiders. Some I do not kill they have a reason to be here.
You may have killed some version of a Loxosceles spider. It may have even had a violin pattern on it somewhere. But the chances that it was a recluse are about the same as the chances of me winning the Lion's Share jackpot.

Whenever doctor's can't identify an insect bite, they write-in "recluse bite" and treat for that. They're doctors, after all, not arachnologists.

The odd specimen brought in from areas that DO have recluse spiders aside, there is no population of these spiders anywhere in the desert. None. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

And even in areas where recluse spiders do live, bites are very, very rare -- even though there may be dozens and even hundreds of them living in a home. And even then, the spiders are misidentified much of the time.

Recluse spiders are only a big deal in areas where they don't live, apparently...

But the short answer; the executive summary: We don't have brown recluse spiders in Nevada.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:02 PM

14 posts, read 40,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrlasvegas View Post
... They are not afraid to be close to the black widows ...
This got me to wondering, who who win in a death match between a brown recluse and a black widow?

Old 03-07-2012, 03:42 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
The only thing Vegas has is recluse millionaires

Jonathan

Last edited by macgeek; 03-07-2012 at 04:29 PM..

Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Well, we now have camel spiders, courtesy of Nellis AFB troops and gear coming back from Iraq. Google them if you like nightmares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas