Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 AM

73 posts, read 336,819 times

Advertisements

Well, I just got the keys to my mailbox yesterday. I haven't had ownership of the place for more than a week, and there were already two dozen pieces of mail addressed to me advertising various services - cleaning, security systems, water softening, interior design, etc.

How does this happen? Does someone just go through all of the recent property sales records and add everyone to a giant mailing list that other companies can buy into?

What is the best way to stop the deluge of mail like this? It is a waste of postage and paper since I pretty much have everything I need already.

My favorite is the ratty-looking postcards that say that I've won a free gift and to call them. Any idea who is behind this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 11:33 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,989,097 times
post office and phone company

Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 AM

572 posts, read 1,684,124 times
it's out of control. I get mostly circulars and ads as well. I would think nothing of it, but I think they are getting your information off the tax records or something, as I get several things back in NY as well.

Then again, it is relatively simple to get someone's info off the property records in Clark County.... so nothing surprises me.

I'd say set up some recycling bucket in the mailroom, like they did at my place.. it's full almost every day, so I know i'm not the only one getting all this junk.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:24 PM

26 posts, read 117,412 times
Every time I have made a large purchase, whether a house or car I get bombarded with the junk mail. The amount of trees thrown in the trash everyday from junk mail is probably enough to rebuild most of the houses from the Hurricane Katrina!It is disturbing that companies are allowed to waste like that!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,471,419 times
There is a paper that you can buy for Nevada called The Nevada Legal News. Cost $1.00 a day, and has all real estate transactions and new businesses opening up. Pretty easy to get the info.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:26 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,863,454 times
I had the same problem when I bought my house in Henderson. I'm not there often, so when I'd come in for a weekend, I'd find a jam packed mailbox full of garbage. It was the same ads over, and over, and over again. It was always painters, water softeners, landscapers, insurance of all sorts, and guys who'd establish your primary residency in Nevada for a fee. I think I filled a good sized box with the junk mail.

The volume tapered off after three or four months. Now I just get the regular amount of junk mail everyone else gets and I can find real mail in the stack. (As if that's acceptable...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas